Old 01-14-2016, 07:49 PM   #295
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
........What is difficult to understand is why there is no report of a test unit, no leak of any info, no trace of any spy photo, and no hint of the design through the grape vine. The negative take on this is that the new model is so bland that there is no notice, while the positive take is that AS/Thor has fantastic product development security. So the question is.......what is normal info availability on a new AS model?.......

Pat

Probably because websites like this one exist. Airstream Corporate folks do hang around here. And have been known to post from time to time.

It's either being built at a double-top-secret location someplace or in Bob's garage.

Joking aside, I'm guessing a third party vendor is building a few design concept trailers or this thing only exists on the drawing board.

That's my dead-of-winter-waiting-for-warm-weather-complete-speculation point of view.

Jim

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 07:51 PM   #296
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayseejay View Post
My money is still on the Airstream Scout, improved somewhat since the prototype was previewed at RV shows in 2009. Joe

Attachment 255704
And I kinda-sorta remember that this thing showed up without any prior announcements. But my grey matter ain't what it used to be.

Jim

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 07:53 PM   #297
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameront120 View Post
"Make no changes, only improvements" seems a bit of an oxymoron.
I always assumed that he meant "Make no changes (i.e changes just for the sake of change) only improvements.

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 08:52 PM   #298
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
I always assumed that he meant "Make no changes (i.e changes just for the sake of change) only improvements.

Brian.
But making changes for the better are usually a result of looking for improvements to the status quo.
Canada
AIR #11529
http://northvancouvermodern.blogspot.com/
Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death! - Mame Dennis
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 08:59 PM   #299
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
I used to work for a fellow that ran a vacuum tube assemble line in England during WWII. They moved the operation several times in the course of that conflict and it took 30 days to tune up production and get it back to their prior efficiency, even with the same people, tools, and designs/assy process. The point being that production lines do not stop and start back up again quickly. They take longer to retool if that is required. It also takes a while to build an inventory of product and time to deliver it to dealer showrooms. The press release said there will be a 2016 introduction. It's hard to believe that some level of production is not currently in process. Why would a company miss introducing a new product before the summer RV season? Well, there is that not ready yet thing, but after building product for as long as AS and Thor have been building RVs, can we really believe they can't bring out a new product, on schedule? Pat
Old 01-14-2016, 09:00 PM   #300
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Perhaps they should do as Wally Byam did, look at current Aircraft construction and adapt it to a travel trailer. Lightweight and durable, these qualities still coexist.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 04:18 AM   #301
Rivet Master

2014 30' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
We have flown across the Pacific several times on the Boeing 787 Dreamliner that is made of composites. I think that material would have the necessary strength for a tailer and the frame. Even the toilets were plastic.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 05:52 AM   #302
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Atkinson , New Hampshire
Might they consider high strength aluminum for the frame? Some would say it has the potential to be more rigid, lighter and resistant to road salt. Could it also take out unnecessary weight thereby freeing up greater capacity to carry more personal stuff in the TT?

I know many TT owners enjoy multiple visits to CAT scales to carefully weigh their TT. When load capacity is low and tongue weight is high, weighing the TT can become essential.

Might the younger buyer say, "OMG, that is all rubbish, give me a better design!"
Old 01-15-2016, 07:55 AM   #303
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameront120 View Post
But making changes for the better are usually a result of looking for improvements to the status quo.
True enough - but for example, sometimes when developers make changes in software, I find myself thinking in frustration "Why couldn't they have just left it alone, it was fine, all they have done is to screw it uo now!" Probably just me becoming an old curmudgeon!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Old 01-15-2016, 07:58 AM   #304
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAir View Post
Might they consider high strength aluminum for the frame? Some would say it has the potential to be more rigid, lighter and resistant to road salt. Could it also take out unnecessary weight thereby freeing up greater capacity to carry more personal stuff in the TT?

I know many TT owners enjoy multiple visits to CAT scales to carefully weigh their TT. When load capacity is low and tongue weight is high, weighing the TT can become essential.

Might the younger buyer say, "OMG, that is all rubbish, give me a better design!"
The frame on my last trailer ("Award" brand) was galvanised steel.The trailer was about 15 years old when I sold it, exposed to road salt every winter, and still looked like new!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Old 01-15-2016, 08:00 AM   #305
3 Rivet Member

1958 17' Pacer
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Tryon , North Carolina
When I read this thread I can't help but remember another low cost airstream project from the past. Read this letter from December of 1957.

http://www.airstream.com/wp-content/...0d32202b3b.pdf

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 01-15-2016, 08:56 AM   #306
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Atkinson , New Hampshire
"We have flown across the Pacific several times on the Boeing 787 Dreamliner that is made of composites. I think that material would have the necessary strength for a tailer and the frame. Even the toilets were plastic."

Switz,
I understand, as stated above, the value in some of the newer composites. I have two custom built boats imported from Wales which use a Carbon/Kevlar composite which is lighter and more rigid than fiberglass. The down side is cost and sufficient number of manufacturing facilities which can work with the material. Also, when it is damaged, the cost and difficulty involved in the repair can be discouraging.
Old 01-15-2016, 08:58 AM   #307
Rivet Master

2014 30' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
When I compare the Vintage units (50s to late 70s) weights to the modern units that are both wider and heavier, I wonder if the increased weight is a dog chasing it's tail. Because of the increase in weight, they need to strengthen the frame and all the components which adds weight and so it goes.

The newer Airstreams come late in life of the Airstream, so perhaps the increase in weight reflects the many owners that are not as light as they were 30 years ago as well?

Perhaps the design concepts one can see in the Oliver literature will appeal more to the newer generation predisposed to the plastic world versus the world of wood in which those of us over 60 grew up?

The fully optioned Oliver unit is much lower in cost than a 23D or 25FB model. In fact many of their options are not available on any Airstream unless going to a third party.

The concept of no leaks sure sounds appealing and a rot proof floor besides, who could ask for anything more?

It will certainly be interesting to see what hatches from the Airstream skunk works. I think it will tank if the QC is not better than what is coming off the line in Jackson Center, Ohio.

The other question not mentioned is whether the existing dealer network, as poor as it is, will be the sales point for the loss leader project to lure folks into the more expensive models? Some how, few if any of the buyers of the Ford Pinto ended up with a Lincoln Continental.

Just sayin'

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 09:13 AM   #308
Agent 86

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
An aluminum chassis would in the end cost about three times the cost of a steel chassis, I don't think that is going to happen on a "low cost" product line.

The frame on an Airstream really isn't that heavy, the payout would never happen.

Cost v. Benefit.

The weight of modern Airstreams comes from their interior appointments and fixtures more than frame and shell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAir View Post

Brevi tempore!

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote