Old 12-05-2015, 09:40 PM   #253
4 Rivet Member

2008 23' Safari SE
2007 Base Camp
Santa Ynez , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by '55 Airlight View Post
The Basecamp was a Nissan Motors design project, Arguably unrelated (except by badge) to the Airstream riveted aluminum airframe trailer.
Michael

True that the Basecamp started as a Nissan Motors design project, but the Basecamp is very strongly related to Airstream.

The Nissan designer's were inspired by Wally Byam's Torpedo trailer from the 1930's, and the Basecamp was manufactured, sold and serviced by Airstream. The trailer is riveted aluminum inside and out (to a fiberglass frame).

In my opinion what killed the Basecamp was that it was short on "amenities" and way too close to the Bambi in price (plus the Great Recession). Wheeler saying the price on this new one needs to be $10K less than the Sport indicates that the pricing lesson was learned.

Also note that aluminum and rivets does not seem to guarantee success!

Old 12-23-2015, 08:51 PM   #254
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
Interesting story in the WSJ today about the RV industry looking at higher sales with lower profit margins as the best sellers are at the low end of the market. Thor CEO is quoted on the changing market demographics. No mention of AS in the story.

Old 12-25-2015, 03:32 PM   #255
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Atkinson , New Hampshire
First off, I want to thank all those who contributed ideas and comments to this thread which I discovered this morning and read from end-to-end. Most enjoyable! See, I am currently a member of the forum who is in the “currently looking” category. Although I am interested in what Jackson Center plans to release in 2016, I probably have less “brand loyalty” than forum members who already own an AS. I am, however, strongly drawn to the brand for three reasons. 1. I believe an AS is safer to pull than other TT brands. 2. I find the design, both interior and exterior to be amazing. 3. I perceive an AS to have higher quality than other TT brands.

I honestly do not know if I fall into the demographic of the customer base JC is seeking regarding this new product introduction. However, I plan to make a decision prior to October 2016 regarding my TT and I do expect it will be an AS.

Although the three “Pros” listed above are important to me, I also perceive three “Needs” which will influence my decision. 1. I seek a TT which is low maintenance. 2. The TT needs to align with my activities (ocean kayaking, trail biking and hiking). 3. I need to camp at least 10 months per year in New England. I come from tent camping where “amenities” are few.

I started out being drawn to the 25’ Eddie Bauer model since the vibe spoke to me. However, I perceived a challenge with maintenance and cold weather camping. Although I understand components of the Eddie Bauer have been re-imagined in the Pendleton model that is not the direction I seek. Currently, I am drawn to the Airstream Basecamp since I believe it best aligns to what I need from a TT.

Interestingly, a used Basecamp is very difficult to locate (an extensive web search lists only one available on the west coast) and when you do find one, they command a high price. Now that the Great Recession is mostly in our rear view windows, could there be a pent up demand for a Basecamp-like TT? Perhaps.

Warren
Old 12-26-2015, 03:52 PM   #256
2 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB Classic
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
If you think that numerous leaks in the skin, rotten floors is 4 years, faulty wiring, broken plastic parts, faulty appliances, makes AS high quality and better than the other guy; then you are exactly right. Thor Industries is ruining the AS name as well as the product. Buy a twenty year old unit and have it re-built. It will be cheaper and 100 times better than a new unit. I have a Classic Limited and the problems and been endless. I can rebuild my unit cheaper than buying a new unit. Go figure.....

GRA
Old 01-11-2016, 11:59 PM   #257
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Aledo , Texas
This was a fascinating read for me! I've owned my "molded-fiberglass" Casita for eight years. I've been interested in Airstream for longer than that, and am still considering purchasing one in the future. But there's a lot to be said for the molded fiberglass trailer concept, not stickies just with fiberglass walls. Molded fiberglass trailers like Casitas, Escapes, and Olivers have less chance for leaks, the floor is encased in the fiberglass mold (except for Scamps), they tow easily, and you can buy several of them for the price of one Bambi. That being said, they're kinda boring visually inside, have the usual RV appliances inside, and some brands have poor quality control issues.

If Airstream does go the molded fiberglass route with this new trailer, with a silver color, with Airstream interior design, Airstream class and aesthetics, in the 20 foot to 24 foot range, maybe small European appliances, high tech features in mind, like USB ports everywhere, and appeal to people who might still be working, then I along with a lot of Casita owners would be interested.

Here's what my 17 foot Casita would look like stretched to 20 feet with a silver/grey color. It's possible ...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stretched_casita2.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	230.0 KB
ID:	255594  
Old 01-12-2016, 11:49 AM   #258
Agent 86

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
I would give five to one odds that Airstreams new model will not have the interior assembled inside a completed shell.

(I am saying that the walls will be assembled moving down a line to near completion and then set on a chassis.

Brevi tempore!

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 11:59 AM   #259
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
My curiosity is will it be assembled at Jackson Center, or another Thor facility and labeled as an Airstream to capitalize the iconic name. A fake.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 01:25 PM   #260
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
That is my gut instinct/knee-jerk reaction-

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 06:20 PM   #261
Agent 86

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
My curiosity is will it be assembled at Jackson Center, or another Thor facility and labeled as an Airstream to capitalize the iconic name. A fake.

I say likely the second option.

Brevi tempore!

Old 01-12-2016, 06:29 PM   #262
4 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
Fernandina Beach , Florida
I'll reserve judgment until the specs are out. I for one have been critical of the lack of progress in weight reduction, even with the advancement of high tech materials that airstream has been reluctant to adopt. Its OLD TECH through and through, including the electrical systems and the batteries for chissakes. Call it fake if you want, but any improvement in weight reduction and durability (yes the two can coexist) is welcome IMO. It doesn't have to be a cheap knockoff of a Casita either. There have been some interesting ventures offering composite materials, and I for one would welcome it. How about an aluminum frame? And get rid of the crappy wood floors... And how about something that is energy efficient? The lack of insulation and the fact that aluminum is a conductor of heat makes the design about as bad as you can get in terms of designing a habitable space. There are endless possibilities. Its funny... how many personal aircraft are manufactured with aluminum skins anymore? We can make spaceships (ala Scaled Composites) with modern material.s.. why not travel trailers? Cars today are more lightweight by far AND more capable these days. Why do Airstreamers persist with supporting a bigger and heavier is better philosophy, particularly when it comes to Tow Vehicles? Europe is way ahead of us in that regard.
Old 01-12-2016, 07:35 PM   #263
Agent 86

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Not exactly true, modern cars are BRICKS.

A new V6 Camaro outweighs my 55 Lincoln by a couple hundred pounds.

Imo, plywood is a great floor material so long as it is kept dry.

Brevi tempore!

Old 01-12-2016, 09:17 PM   #264
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
Imo, plywood is a great floor material so long as it is kept dry.
Hard to do when the body is full of holes and produces a good bit of condensation that finds its way to the floor.
Canada
AIR #11529
http://northvancouvermodern.blogspot.com/
Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death! - Mame Dennis
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 04:07 AM   #265
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Atkinson , New Hampshire
When you read through all the views expressed regarding the current design and construction of an Airstream travel trailer, you quickly begin to create a "wishlist" of what you hope to find. As a member of this Forum who is listed as "currently searching", I have found the information to be very helpful if not concerning.

I do like the concept of a TT which is both durable and easy to maintain. That way I have more time to enjoy camping. I like a TT which allows me to camp along the ocean and be comfortable camping in cold weather here in New England. I also like a manufacturing facility which understands quality control and continuous quality improvement using state of the art materials and techniques. For me, the TT should be an all season camper, a true off grid TT, be capable of off road camping, be chock-full of electronics to accommodate a home based work force, be easy to tow without a WDH, have 16" Michelin tires, utilize a bank of four AGM batteries, have two 30lb propane tanks, etc, etc. and allow for customization of the interior design both in layout and finishes.

I know that sounds like a long wishlist and I guess it is. Surprisingly, an Oliver Elite II meets all my requirements listed above and is currently being built for me in Tennessee.

I suspect Airstream will learn from companies like Oliver and what they learn will benefit all future Airstream owners. For me, I could not wait. 2016 should be a great year to enjoy camping!

NHAir
Old 01-13-2016, 07:59 AM   #266
Agent 86

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
I don't know, the plywood floor in my trailer served it for forty years, and 85% of the original floor is still serving.

These things don't rot away by getting a wet once or twice, but by long term leaks that are not addressed.

Imo, built in complexity via lots of built in gadgetry is not necessarily a positive thing. I mostly went the other way when building our trailer, trying to make the trailer as simple as possible, and the components few, accessible, and easily serviceable.

Brevi tempore!