Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-13-2016, 07:37 PM   #281
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I agree, and beyond-
1 Airstream trailer costs much less than several sob trailers.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 08:13 PM   #282
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
I'd love to have an Oliver someday - you know, when they make a 27-28' model with a good floor plan and more windows. Their current largest model is too small, has an icky floor plan, and I'd get claustrophobic without my vista views.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 07:30 AM   #283
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Atkinson , New Hampshire
"The size is comparable to the 23D which has a literature empty weight of 4,761 pounds whereas the Oliver with two 20# tanks has a empty weight of 4,600 pounds. The huge difference is the payload of the Oliver with a 7,000 pound GVW is nearly 2,400 pounds where the airstream has a 6,000 pound GVW. The much lower Oliver tongue weight of around 420 pounds could make it towing friendly to much smaller tow vehicles than the 23D tongue weight of 720 pounds."

Hey Switz,

I enjoyed reading your post quoted above. Perhaps the Oliver’s tongue weight sparked a degree of curiosity. I encourage you to dig deeper if you are driven by intellectual curiosity. I will give you a hint, look into battery placement. Innovation? Perhaps. There are many more examples designed within the Ollie.

As we return to focus on the topic which began this thread, I suspect Bob Wheeler is a smart guy who will help Airstream drive sales. I do sense justifiable concern this new less expensive product may be nothing more than a cheap knock-off of a classic icon. That may happen, but I doubt it. I believe Mr. Wheeler understands the needs and values of the customers he seeks. We know he is seeking a younger buyer.

My needs and values may resemble the buyer he is seeking. I see myself packing up the travel trailer on Friday after a long day at work and heading off to a state park for two nights and two days of dry camping. The TT is simply a tool to get me and keep me in the recreational environment I seek. It is all about hiking, biking and kayaking. I will be pulling into the campground after dark so I value a design which makes the setup quick and easy. Since I do not want to be restricted to camping only during warm weather months, the TT must serve me well during the cold months when winter sports take over. Since work requires I “stay connected” the TT must facilitate my requirements for electronic communication 24/7. Since I need to dry camp and do not want to drag around a generator, I value 400+ amp hours of power via AGM batteries which hold up well in cold weather. I want to be able to tow the TT with an SUV and have money left over to buy more sports equipment. When I get back home late on Sunday night, I need to focus on work the next morning. In other words, the TT needs to be durable and not require extensive maintenance chores. You may have noticed price was not my number one priority.

Airstream has a long and proud history of innovation. The innovation has been targeted to the Airstream buyer and that has driven sales. The layout, ducted air, vista view windows, ultra-leather and LED light stripe under the awning are all great examples which meet the needs of their buyers. I suspect this new product will incorporate innovation which speaks to the younger buyer. Innovation which helps them setup camp in the dark, level the TT with the touch of a button and quick and easy winterization may have greater value to them.

Time will tell!

NHAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 08:16 AM   #284
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
My possible next project, Chesapeake Light Craft | Boat Plans, Boat Kits, Boatbuilding Supplies, Boat Kit, Kayak Kit, Canoe Kit, Sailboat Kit
If you squint it sort of looks like an Airstream or a casket.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	152
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	255696  

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 08:50 AM   #285
Rivet Master

Some seem to see it as an insult to an Icon

I don't think that less expensive, non aluminum Airstreams are going to diminish the value of our trailers, very much if any.

Some reasons why Airstreams are / were aluminum in the first place could be

#1 They started as a kit

#2 It was a technology that they were familiar with.

#3 It was a technology that was available.

#4 Weight

Who knows the outcome, if Wally was starting the business today ?
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 11:34 AM   #286
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
NH - your innovations don't sound like they will yield a less expensive AS. More like the value that might be packed into all of the AS product offering. Not bad input as most RV owners probably would be attracted to reduced labor content in their mobile palace.

What is difficult to understand is why there is no report of a test unit, no leak of any info, no trace of any spy photo, and no hint of the design through the grape vine. The negative take on this is that the new model is so bland that there is no notice, while the positive take is that AS/Thor has fantastic product development security. So the question is.......what is normal info availability on a new AS model?

AW - that needs a coat of silver paint if you want it to look like an AS, but it does look interesting. CLC produces some fun projects. Should keep you interested for a while and would draw quite a crowd if you tow it behind the AS.

It's 2016 now and only a matter of time before the new Airstream story breaks wide open. Fingers crossed that the shell is strong enough to bounce when it hits and keep on rolling.

Yes, very corny, but it is all I got. No info here either.

What have you got?

Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 12:10 PM   #287
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Red face

You want Kornie.....

How things have changed.

Bob
Old 01-14-2016, 12:39 PM   #288
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Atkinson , New Hampshire
Hey Pat,

I suspect Airstream has already either purchased a smaller TT manufacturer or contracted with that organization to build the initial supply. If the product sells, they contract to have more built. If the concept has real legs, they consider bringing the manufacturing process in-house. I suspect they have no capacity to build a whole new product at Jackson Center without disrupting their current turn-around time goals to drop from 20+ weeks to 10 weeks for the backlog on orders. If I were them, I might look at Canada as my manufacturing location due to the strong dollar. Doesn’t it seem strange to you that the Escape TT manufacturer in Canada is accepting no new orders through all of 2016? Doesn’t it also seem strange that no one has seen any indications of the new product on the assembly line at Jackson Center during the factory tours? They sure saw the Pendleton being manufactured.

On the issue of innovative TT ideas and the cost of the final product. These ideas I voiced above are already in production at Oliver and the final product is significantly less costly than an AS. History has shown us, innovation can sometimes originate within small companies which are very flexible in their continuous quality improvement. I would really like to see that kind of innovation built into all Airstream travel trailers so the icon we have all learned to love and respect stays current and affordable for the next generation.
NHAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 02:12 PM   #289
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
...because 99% of RV'ers prefer to not pay $80,000 for a trailer...

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums

...yep ...
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 02:15 PM   #290
Rivet Master

2015 27' FB Eddie Bauer
2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fernandina Beach , Florida
My money is still on the Airstream Scout, improved somewhat since the prototype was previewed at RV shows in 2009. Joe

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1452806079.939614.jpg
Views:	735
Size:	194.4 KB
ID:	255704
jayseejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 02:58 PM   #291
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
NH - so Escape is the one.

OK......anyone got any additional supporting backup info on Escape. Any aluminum paint delivered to them recently? Any packages from an AS LOGO vendor been delivered?

RC - understand your point, but the concept is quite good and not the least bit Kornie. Sad that the AS owners have to upgrade components, dealers have to repair mfg mistakes, and skilled craftspeople have to rebuild coaches that should last a lifetime. Guess the positive is that the concept is worth upgrading/rebuilding and WB marketing made a product that still is putting smiles on our faces. Well, until the bill is due.

NH - not surprised. The innovation you propose is alive and doing well in a lot of companies. It works, saves money and makes people happy. Maybe the influx of profit from current sales and the sting of warranty claims will push them a little faster into continuous improvement across the board.

Pat
Old 01-14-2016, 03:13 PM   #292
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Wink Conceptually speaking....

"RC - understand your point, but the concept is quite good and not the least bit Kornie."

I'll concede the inexpensive 'concept' only if it's not branded as an Airstream.

I'll accept a new branded Airstream when quality matches price-point.

I've got mine.....good luck to all the new owners.

Sweet Streams

Bob
Old 01-14-2016, 05:05 PM   #293
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Why do we assume lower cost equates with lower quality? Perhaps lower cost means simpler, more modern construction methods and materials that are still of a high level of quality, fit and finish? Perhaps lower cost means a pared down interior with fewer bells and whistles but still appealing to a younger user group. "Make no changes, only improvements" seems a bit of an oxymoron.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 06:42 PM   #294
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
"RC - snip -- I'll concede the inexpensive 'concept' only if it's not branded as an Airstream. -- snip --:
Significant disconnect, apology for the confusion.

The comment was only intended to address the WB comment "make no changes only improvements". That is not Kornie.

If the less expensive AS is an improvement and not a change, that would be a good thing. No clue, and not knowing from the reputation of AS/Thor is Kornie.

Pat
Old 01-14-2016, 06:49 PM   #295
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
........What is difficult to understand is why there is no report of a test unit, no leak of any info, no trace of any spy photo, and no hint of the design through the grape vine. The negative take on this is that the new model is so bland that there is no notice, while the positive take is that AS/Thor has fantastic product development security. So the question is.......what is normal info availability on a new AS model?.......

Pat

Probably because websites like this one exist. Airstream Corporate folks do hang around here. And have been known to post from time to time.

It's either being built at a double-top-secret location someplace or in Bob's garage.

Joking aside, I'm guessing a third party vendor is building a few design concept trailers or this thing only exists on the drawing board.

That's my dead-of-winter-waiting-for-warm-weather-complete-speculation point of view.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 06:51 PM   #296
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayseejay View Post
My money is still on the Airstream Scout, improved somewhat since the prototype was previewed at RV shows in 2009. Joe

Attachment 255704
And I kinda-sorta remember that this thing showed up without any prior announcements. But my grey matter ain't what it used to be.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 06:53 PM   #297
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameront120 View Post
"Make no changes, only improvements" seems a bit of an oxymoron.
I always assumed that he meant "Make no changes (i.e changes just for the sake of change) only improvements.

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 07:52 PM   #298
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
I always assumed that he meant "Make no changes (i.e changes just for the sake of change) only improvements.

Brian.
But making changes for the better are usually a result of looking for improvements to the status quo.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 07:59 PM   #299
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
I used to work for a fellow that ran a vacuum tube assemble line in England during WWII. They moved the operation several times in the course of that conflict and it took 30 days to tune up production and get it back to their prior efficiency, even with the same people, tools, and designs/assy process. The point being that production lines do not stop and start back up again quickly. They take longer to retool if that is required. It also takes a while to build an inventory of product and time to deliver it to dealer showrooms. The press release said there will be a 2016 introduction. It's hard to believe that some level of production is not currently in process. Why would a company miss introducing a new product before the summer RV season? Well, there is that not ready yet thing, but after building product for as long as AS and Thor have been building RVs, can we really believe they can't bring out a new product, on schedule? Pat
Old 01-14-2016, 08:00 PM   #300
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Perhaps they should do as Wally Byam did, look at current Aircraft construction and adapt it to a travel trailer. Lightweight and durable, these qualities still coexist.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote