Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-05-2015, 10:14 AM   #241
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
If AS would make a truly "quality" canned ham and could point out the differences between them and others, there is a market. The problem would be provable quality.

PaulnGina
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F250 7.3L PowerStroke
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 10:25 AM   #242
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
I wouldn't mind spending $10K more if they up their game on the quality control front. I'd also like to see them get serious about getting rid of the plywood floors, leaks and poor insulation. I'd pay for those improvements as well. I'm not going to spend good money on perceived quality. And I think others of my generation and younger are the same. We don't mind buying quality but aren't so willing to throw money after something that doesn't provide good value for money. I think Wally said something like "make no changes, only improvements". Where are the improvements other than more modern third party fittings and fixtures? The shells still leak, the wood floors still rot, the insulation retains moisture and does a poor job of it's intended purpose. If I designed and built houses with 70 year old technology I'd be out of business. I'm not hung up on nostalgia and wish that the mothership would start catering to the coming generations of customers. Until then, I guess I'll stick with the vintage trailers and build them out to suit my taste and level of quality. At least that way, I know the quality will be there at a reasonable cost.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 10:36 AM   #243
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Salem , Oregon
I am thinking about purchasing a Airstream but from what Switz above posted it looks like he buys a new trailer every year 2013 FB Intl, 2014 30' classic, 2015 23 international.

If they are that badly made why does he keep buying them. Maybe I should consider something else?
NoResults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 10:51 AM   #244
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Forums have a way of magnifying negatives.

Few people post "everything worked just great today".

Brevi tempore!

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 11:10 AM   #245
Rivet Master

2007 16' International CCD
Vintage Kin Owner
Somewhere , Colorado
A friend of mine owns a car dealership and he says that if his service department makes a mistake the customer tells ten people, and if they do it right the customer tells nobody.

As Winston Churchill said "Airstreams are the worst trailers, except for all the rest."
field & stream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 11:11 AM   #246
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Actually, everything has worked just great since we took delivery of our new beautifully constructed Airstream over four years ago. And those still using Airstreams built in 1972 haven't done badly either.

Sure, consider something else. My buddy has taken his (high quality) Tiffin motorhome back to the factory twice for repairs, 64 items the first time. They told him they don't use quality inspection during the build process, it would take forever. Instead each factory worker is expected to do their job right the first time. Sometimes they don't; that's the nature of RV construction and why some units are well built and some are not, on the same assembly line.

And for some of those Airstreams falling apart going down the road, take a look at the oversized, over powered, over suspended tow vehicles some folks are dragging them down the road with. Long time trailer repair shop owners here on this forum and the airstream Owners Manual itself cautions against using trucks with heavier suspensions than needed. Again, perhaps not a universal problem but something to consider.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 12:20 PM   #247
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quality is looked at differently by different people.

While it isn't always the case, a good deal of the issues withe these trailers comes from complex systems being employed where simple solutions would work best. (In my opinion of course)

Brevi tempore!

Old 12-05-2015, 01:27 PM   #248
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggy Bank View Post
My personal opinion is that that is a vintage trailer, but not an airstream.

My opinion is that the curved, silver bullet shape is essential.
You do know Wally byam founded AS ?
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 01:41 PM   #249
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
To make money!

Brevi tempore!

Old 12-05-2015, 04:07 PM   #250
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Yup, it was more than a hobby!
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 07:49 PM   #251
Proud Owner Vintage SBB

Currently Looking...
Santa Monica , California
The Basecamp was a Nissan Motors design project, Arguably unrelated (except by badge) to the Airstream riveted aluminum airframe trailer.
Michael
"Of the gladdest moments in human life, methinks, is the departure upon a distant journey into unknown lands... A journey, in fact, appeals to Imagination, to Memory, to Hope,—the three sister Graces of our moral being.’
Sir Richard Francis Burton
'55 Airlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 08:11 PM   #252
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
We like our classic 31, so far it has been good, warranty replaced the water pump when 6 mos old...
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 08:40 PM   #253
Rivet Master

2007 16' International CCD
Vintage Kin Owner
Somewhere , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by '55 Airlight View Post
The Basecamp was a Nissan Motors design project, Arguably unrelated (except by badge) to the Airstream riveted aluminum airframe trailer.
Michael

True that the Basecamp started as a Nissan Motors design project, but the Basecamp is very strongly related to Airstream.

The Nissan designer's were inspired by Wally Byam's Torpedo trailer from the 1930's, and the Basecamp was manufactured, sold and serviced by Airstream. The trailer is riveted aluminum inside and out (to a fiberglass frame).

In my opinion what killed the Basecamp was that it was short on "amenities" and way too close to the Bambi in price (plus the Great Recession). Wheeler saying the price on this new one needs to be $10K less than the Sport indicates that the pricing lesson was learned.

Also note that aluminum and rivets does not seem to guarantee success!
field & stream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 07:51 PM   #254
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
Interesting story in the WSJ today about the RV industry looking at higher sales with lower profit margins as the best sellers are at the low end of the market. Thor CEO is quoted on the changing market demographics. No mention of AS in the story.
Old 12-25-2015, 02:32 PM   #255
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Atkinson , New Hampshire
First off, I want to thank all those who contributed ideas and comments to this thread which I discovered this morning and read from end-to-end. Most enjoyable! See, I am currently a member of the forum who is in the “currently looking” category. Although I am interested in what Jackson Center plans to release in 2016, I probably have less “brand loyalty” than forum members who already own an AS. I am, however, strongly drawn to the brand for three reasons. 1. I believe an AS is safer to pull than other TT brands. 2. I find the design, both interior and exterior to be amazing. 3. I perceive an AS to have higher quality than other TT brands.

I honestly do not know if I fall into the demographic of the customer base JC is seeking regarding this new product introduction. However, I plan to make a decision prior to October 2016 regarding my TT and I do expect it will be an AS.

Although the three “Pros” listed above are important to me, I also perceive three “Needs” which will influence my decision. 1. I seek a TT which is low maintenance. 2. The TT needs to align with my activities (ocean kayaking, trail biking and hiking). 3. I need to camp at least 10 months per year in New England. I come from tent camping where “amenities” are few.

I started out being drawn to the 25’ Eddie Bauer model since the vibe spoke to me. However, I perceived a challenge with maintenance and cold weather camping. Although I understand components of the Eddie Bauer have been re-imagined in the Pendleton model that is not the direction I seek. Currently, I am drawn to the Airstream Basecamp since I believe it best aligns to what I need from a TT.

Interestingly, a used Basecamp is very difficult to locate (an extensive web search lists only one available on the west coast) and when you do find one, they command a high price. Now that the Great Recession is mostly in our rear view windows, could there be a pent up demand for a Basecamp-like TT? Perhaps.

Warren
NHAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 02:52 PM   #256
3 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB Classic
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
If you think that numerous leaks in the skin, rotten floors is 4 years, faulty wiring, broken plastic parts, faulty appliances, makes AS high quality and better than the other guy; then you are exactly right. Thor Industries is ruining the AS name as well as the product. Buy a twenty year old unit and have it re-built. It will be cheaper and 100 times better than a new unit. I have a Classic Limited and the problems and been endless. I can rebuild my unit cheaper than buying a new unit. Go figure.....

GRA
gr.austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 10:59 PM   #257
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Aledo , Texas
This was a fascinating read for me! I've owned my "molded-fiberglass" Casita for eight years. I've been interested in Airstream for longer than that, and am still considering purchasing one in the future. But there's a lot to be said for the molded fiberglass trailer concept, not stickies just with fiberglass walls. Molded fiberglass trailers like Casitas, Escapes, and Olivers have less chance for leaks, the floor is encased in the fiberglass mold (except for Scamps), they tow easily, and you can buy several of them for the price of one Bambi. That being said, they're kinda boring visually inside, have the usual RV appliances inside, and some brands have poor quality control issues.

If Airstream does go the molded fiberglass route with this new trailer, with a silver color, with Airstream interior design, Airstream class and aesthetics, in the 20 foot to 24 foot range, maybe small European appliances, high tech features in mind, like USB ports everywhere, and appeal to people who might still be working, then I along with a lot of Casita owners would be interested.

Here's what my 17 foot Casita would look like stretched to 20 feet with a silver/grey color. It's possible ...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stretched_casita2.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	230.0 KB
ID:	255594  
Old 01-12-2016, 10:49 AM   #258
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
I would give five to one odds that Airstreams new model will not have the interior assembled inside a completed shell.

(I am saying that the walls will be assembled moving down a line to near completion and then set on a chassis.

Brevi tempore!

Old 01-12-2016, 10:59 AM   #259
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
My curiosity is will it be assembled at Jackson Center, or another Thor facility and labeled as an Airstream to capitalize the iconic name. A fake.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 12:25 PM   #260
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
That is my gut instinct/knee-jerk reaction-

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955