Old 01-06-2013, 11:38 PM   #15
Rivet Master
2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
I actually prefer the electric appliances over propane, especially when at a full-service site; why spend money on propane when you're already paying for the site? The key is not overloading the fuses. If I have my electric griller going, I do not plug the hot-water kettle in or use the microwave etc. Besides that, I am still a bit nervous lighting the propane oven/burners. Propane phobia, I guess.

Someone mentioned muffin pans - found them to be a bit absurd. The key is dual/multi-purpose. Muffin pans are great for everything besides muffins. (See my thread in Stella's Kitchen under "Muffin Pan Cooking.")

Personally, I like to pick-out things befitting the Airstream brand. Function, style, and lightness/size are my criteria. Sorry, but I am not going to junk-up my expensive trailer with redneck "Tupperware" (Cool Whip containers) etc., or use plastic/paper utensils/plates, or the kind of rugged outdoorsy things one would load a pack mule with so they could go moose hunting in Alaska. Seems like an affront - but that's just me - the original "glamper."

You are obviously excited and a bit nervous. Outfitting an AS isn't rocket science. You know your own needs/tastes better than anyone else. Pay attention to the essentials in regards to emergencies and maintenance, and the rest will flow.

Congrats on joing the agony and the ecstasy of AS ownership as I call it.

easily distracted by shiny objects
Fly at Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:19 AM   #16
2012 27' FB International
Bellevue , Washington
A BIG congratulations Travelvet. That is a beautiful Airstream you have coming!

Have you seen the movie the Long Long Trailer? If so, you may recall the part when Lucille Ball stocks her Airstream with everything imaginable including every kind of casserole dish imaginable? That was me.

Fast forward two years and I have learned a lot. For instance, in my kitchen I now have a medium cast iron skillet (roast chicken, frittatas, deep dish pizza, etc.), a cast iron griddle (that acts as a "lid" for the skillet when the need arises that I also use to bake cookies, crepes, pancakes, eggs, etc.) and a small cast iron skillet (for hot dips, fondue, goey desserts like molten chocolate cake). I do have a stainless steel pot for boiling water for pasta, but that is it. They live in the oven when not in use. For me, this works well. As time goes on you will learn what works best for you. A general rule of thumb I try to follow is that if I haven't used a certain item during the last five trips we have taken, out it goes...

I also agree with Mona - Target and the Container Store are wonderful but be warned, you will want to measure, measure, measure....I can't tell you how many times I have bought something to only be disappointed that it didn't fit -- sometimes by even 1/4 of an inch.

Here’s to your new Airstream and a wonderful new world full of adventures! ♥

{blog}Just 5 More Minutes to Enjoy Non-Stop Outdoor Adventures and Culinary Discoveries in the Northwest with our Airstream ★Blogger for
J5MM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:59 AM   #17
Rivet Master
1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Thanks all for sharing your knowledge. We have just put down a deposit on a very clean, very original 31’ Sovereign from 1979. If it's as good in person as it looks in the pictures, we'll get to see it on Monday, we'll be joining the ranks of AS owners very soon.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 12:17 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
“The atoms of our bodies are traceable to stars that manufactured them...We are not figuratively, but literally stardust.”

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 03:27 AM   #19
Rivet Master
1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
We didn't end up buying that particular model. It had damp problems.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:48 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member
2007 27' Classic FB
Ridgefield , Washington
We bought some Corelle dish ware recently to replace the cheesy stuff we bought at Camping World years ago. Looks a lot nicer.Much of the lighter weight stuff doesn't work in the microwave. I insisted that we get some light weight silverware at the Dollar-store and while it was functional, we got something a little better soon thereafter. Dish towels, dish soap, soap for the bathroom and TP. We bought a small Wet/Dry vac that works really well. (A friend of ours had a bad water leak once and wished he had a wetvac) Put together a tool kit with some standard tools, duct tape, fuses,etc.
Get a copy of The Newbies Guide to Airstreaming. Might help with some of your decisions.
John & Lisa
Woosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 04:48 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
I have done a "one year purge" - anything I was hauling on board that I didn't use I left home. When I bought the trailer I equipped it with nice stuff...corelle (tough, lightweight), some nice stainless steel utensils, etc. Actually, it's been kind of fun to add and subtract stuff based on what gets used and what doesn't. Since I've taken some very long trips (4 weeks, 2 weeks, etc), I've learned it really is fun to shop locally. (Oh, and like Lucy, I bought some cool rocks out in Texas...and hauled them home.)

"SilverLeaf II" 2015 30' Classic
2014 RAM 2500 Laramie 4x4 CC w/6.7L Cummins
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote