Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-21-2017, 05:58 AM   #81
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTSafari View Post
HEADY TOPPER.....Very tough to find even if you live in Vermont. Brewery is in Stowe..
Waterbury, not Stowe.
Old 10-22-2017, 07:31 AM   #82
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Labelle , Florida
Quote:
HEADY TOPPER.....Very tough to find even if you live in Vermont. Brewery is in Stowe..
Waterbury, not Stowe.

They used to be in Waterbury but recently moved to Stowe. They built a new brewery visitor center 100 Cottage Club Rd in Stowe.
VTSafari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 07:36 AM   #83
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Of course, Yuengling is always good.

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 08:20 AM   #84
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

The thread police will not be pouncing on you for talking about micro brews. For that matter, if you want to give a little love to the majors that's fine as well. We also don't make much of a distinction between beer and ale. I've even been known to drink a bit of hard cider. If you mention that to a buddy from the UK, you get a raised eyebrow .... seems cider drinkers have a poor reputation over there. Here, we like everybody

I have noticed that micro's seem to flock together. You have an area with none at all and next campground you are in the middle of a half dozen of them. I've always wondered about the dynamic involved. Do people have to learn that micro's make good beer ???? That seems odd. I have yet to visit one that does not have at least one beer I like quite a bit. I'm perfectly happy to do flights to work out which beer that is .... burp ....

So, how do I put this all on a searchable map without doing a lot of work ... hmmm.... laziness does tend to limit things

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 09:04 AM   #85
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Not much mention about S. Adams....

Most cases....One sip and you'll be tasting it 'til morning.

YMMV

Bob
Old 10-22-2017, 09:40 AM   #86
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Labelle , Florida
To search for microbreweries you van go to Beeradvocate. They list by states.
VTSafari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 07:35 AM   #87
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Somehow Nebraska does not seem to have received much love in this thread. There seems to be a recently emptied bottle of Inception Tarte Apricot Saison sitting on the dinner table. The creators are the Nebraska Brewing Company in La Vista ( wait for it ...) Nebraska. I dimly remember last night and that it was a pretty good sour. Their web site shows a tap room and a pretty good range of interesting stuff. I'm putting it on the list if I'm ever passing by La Vista ....

Truth in lending - there also is an empty Saison DuPont bottle next to it. That was quite good. My guess is that the AS is a bit less likely to be wandering by their brewery

Bob
Old 10-23-2017, 10:33 PM   #88
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Boise , Idaho
Beer in Boise

The beer scene in Boise has grown dramatically over the last 6 years. Boise Brewing has a great Barley Wine and a Dark Daisy that is really drinkable, and Payette Brewery has some really great beers as well. Pretty easy to find a brewery when there are over 20 breweries within a few miles of downtown. Close to 10 within walking distance. Awesome!
Star Ship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 03:10 PM   #89
blackdog06

2017 25' Flying Cloud
2015 23' Flying Cloud
Tuttle , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdstuff View Post
Cool!! I'll tell Jim to expect you! I think they're only open limited hours, so double check on the hours before you go. And then report back to me about the beer please.
We went to Hawksbill last Friday afternoon - unfortunately we missed Jim, but we enjoyed chatting about the beer with his partner. Most of the beer was too hoppy for me, but we both really enjoyed the cream ale and Oktoberfest marzen. In fact, we got a growler of each for the road and are already planning our next trip down there!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	beer.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	258.4 KB
ID:	297674  
Blackdog06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 09:15 AM   #90
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdog06 View Post
We went to Hawksbill last Friday afternoon - unfortunately we missed Jim, but we enjoyed chatting about the beer with his partner. Most of the beer was too hoppy for me, but we both really enjoyed the cream ale and Oktoberfest marzen. In fact, we got a growler of each for the road and are already planning our next trip down there!
Hi

Part of the beer drinking crew here gets turned off by over the top hops as well. One of the "features" of the brew scene is sort of an arms race. Who can plonk in the most hops? Who can out stout the last stout? I certainly encourage this sort of thing when I run through the selection list. It's not for everybody ....

I look at it like a restaurant that only serves wings. If they range from monster hot to hotter than that, you limit the audience. You will get a lot of wild reviews on Yelp. People will stop by for "I dare you to eat this" contests. It's not clear that a narrow menu helps in the long run. The "let's not go there, I can't take it tonight" thing sets in. I'd rather go *every* night

Bob
Old 10-25-2017, 09:48 AM   #91
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Some our current favorites,
Modelo Negro
MooseDrool
Angry Orchard
SchofferHoffer
Wasatch Brewery good beer and great names and labels.

We always try something local when traveling.

Click image for larger version

Name:	sh-family-welcome-2-wo-btn.png
Views:	81
Size:	620.0 KB
ID:	297711Click image for larger version

Name:	6eff5ff596d2bd076dce9380a68c2970.png
Views:	83
Size:	515.3 KB
ID:	297712Click image for larger version

Name:	negro-modelo-2.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	297714Click image for larger version

Name:	utahbrewerscooperativeselection.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	297715

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 06:52 PM   #92
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
As an avid home brewer I really enjoy trying the many beers from smaller breweries on my annual US visits. Luckily my wife doesn't drink so I always have a dedicated driver when we find a good brewpub for a meal and a couple of pints.

She likes not to have to cook and I like the beer - can't be bad!

I always take some of my own brews along on our rips, but that soon runs out so I am "forced" to buy more as we travel. The only time I like going grocery shopping!

One of my favourites in the South East is Sweetwater 420 Pale Ale from teh Sweetwater brewing company in Atlanta. In fact I just made a "Clone" version at home and was very pleased with the results.

As for tours, I agree, Yuengling is an excellent tour. e have also been to Dogfish and quite a few smaller ones.

The last one we toured was Sierra Nevada near Asheville NC - amazing place and well worth a visit.

I believe New Belgium also have a new brewery near Asheville and that is on the list for the coming winter trip!

While I mainly enjoy ales rather than lagers, we did also tour the huge Bud brewery at Jacksonville - It was fascinating to see how few people were involved in such a huge production facility. Good lounge and free beers at the end of the tour - so I made an exception and actually did enjoy the lagers!

Mmmmmm........... Beer!
For a couple of Canuks, you guys sure get around to some great Southern Breweries!

I too love the Sweetwater 420, but hey, it's a hometown brew.

Susan and the kids/grandkids got to do the tour of Sierra Nevada in Asheville last summer (I had to work that weekend). Try not to go on a Saturday when the weather is warm. They were slammed.

The New Belgium tour is also a must. Pour room outside the entrance with everything they have on hand at the time. Tour takes about an hour. Free samples along the way (oh, yeah, bring a DD). Did I mention the tour was great?

We've taken the "south slope" tour several times in Asheville. This is generally the area below Patton Ave, downhill toward the French Broad river in downtown Asheville. There are many (true) micro-breweries there and some fabulous beers. Our favorite is "Wicked Weed". Great food and some of the best beer around. ANY OF IT. Lots of seasonal brews. Daughter told us they recently were purchased by one of the bigs, maybe AB.

Take the walking tour and just enjoy. Great place to spend an afternoon. There are also several campgrounds within a short drive of that area. Even one in downtown next to the river (name escapes at the moment). If you can't tell, Asheville is one of our favorite places. We have a daughter and SIL that moved there a couple years ago. We are there often.

Thanks to everybody that contributed to this thread. Great stuff.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 09:53 AM   #93
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittenstiehl View Post
Some our current favorites,
Modelo Negro
MooseDrool
Angry Orchard
SchofferHoffer
Wasatch Brewery good beer and great names and labels.

We always try something local when traveling.
Hi

This brings up an interesting question:

Do the Mexican breweries (as in Modelo Negro - a good beer !!) do the same sort of things as the US (and apparently Canadian) breweries? Can you pull up, get a nice tour and (the most important feature) drink free beer ?

Bob
Old 10-26-2017, 10:01 AM   #94
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Quote:
Waterbury, not Stowe.

They used to be in Waterbury but recently moved to Stowe. They built a new brewery visitor center 100 Cottage Club Rd in Stowe.
I didn't know they moved. Probably because Waterbury would let them sell at the brewery. The cans still say Waterbury, I guess until they order a new batch.
Old 10-26-2017, 10:29 AM   #95
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Yes you can visit the Cervecaria Modelo.

Grupo Modelo actually encompasses/monopolizes a good variety of beers from Mexico.

The Modelo was made by Austrian Immigrants in the early 1900's.

One of my DH favorites next to a good German Dunkel Bier.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 09:10 PM   #96
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouchodon View Post
First off, best thread ever by far.
Secondly, I have to say, after exhaustive research I have concluded that the best beer is almost always the coldest one.
Prost!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale49 View Post
I only like Pilsner style beer anymore, prefer imported if available and fresh. Crisp, bubbly and definitely not hoppy. I went through the early 90s over hopped craziness with the silly late 60's rock and roll band names like the Electric Banana Dog Poop. Back to Miller now most of the time which is available everywhere. Yuengling lager from time to time. But if I am out of beer I'll try anything you have.
Same for me...Lagers and especially Pilsners. Eugene's a great beer town..Ninkasi, Oakshire, Hop Valley to name a few. It wasn't that long ago that the city Community Dev dept loaned Ninkasi a half mil conditioned on job creation...paid back early and jobs in spades, nt to mention it jump started the local micro industry!

The problem for me is the product and the city touts it self as "Eugene Ale Trail"....I'm dying on the vine looking for a local crisp lager. I'll never give up. I should add that Bend and Portland are as prolific if not more so.

side story re a process that I still follow in the AS. With the micro explosion there are many local offerings with little exposure.

Booked an RV (19' with a 6 on the column and a fiat diesel ) in Germany in the late 80's for 3 weeks. Mainly to see the Germany & Switzerland, but also as a genealogy tour. Everyday we would buy a couple of pints in every town as we drove the countryside and have our tour that evening. Not planned and in fact we thought it would be a zoo, but we rolled into Munich on the way to somewhere else...what's with all the people? Oktoberfest the next day. Holy Moly...German Pilsner...home sweet home. The beer Drinkers guide to Munich that we brought sure came in handy.

Happy Trails and Prost!
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 09:04 PM   #97
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Classic
Cambridge , New York
On my trip north this summer, I was amazed at the number of new brew-pubs, breweries, wineries and distilleries that have opened in the upper Hudson Valley of NYS and adjacent southern Vermont. Great brew pubs in Albany, Troy, Schenectady, Saratoga Springs, Glens Falls, Lake George and Bennington. Distilleries in Clifton Park, Fort Ann and North Bennington. My favorites were Brown's Brewing on River Street in Troy and the tap room at their brewery in North Hoosick (beautiful old mill right on the Waloomsac River near Bennington Battlefield). Also, Argyle Brewing has tap rooms at its brewery in Greenwich, NY and in the old RR depot in Cambridge, NY (both in Washington County, between Saratoga and Vermont). Also some great local hard ciders on tap - try the tasting room at Saratoga Apple in Schuylerville. Lots of history thereabouts (Saratoga, Bennington, Ticonderoga) and beautiful countryside and wilderness, which always kicks up a powerful thirst. Good to see they responded with multiple options for curing that. PS - I camped at Lake Lauderdale, NY; so I was conveniently located centrally to all of these!
Old 11-17-2017, 09:50 PM   #98
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Classic
Cambridge , New York
Also, if in the Saratoga Springs area and not a beer drinker, pick up a case of "Saratoga Naturally Sparkling Spring Water" (comes in beautiful blue bottles). Mix with your preferred Speyside for the ultimate Scotch & Soda!
Old 11-17-2017, 09:59 PM   #99
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Classic
Cambridge , New York
And, finally, while on the subject of beer, an editorial:

1.) India Pale Ale (IPA) was an English Bitter Ale that was brewed with additional hops (a preservative) to keep the ale from spoiling on the long, hot voyage between London and Bombay around the Cape of Good Hope to quench the thirsts of the British Raj. Real IPAs have this slightly more hoppy taste. Some modern IPAs have enough hops to keep the ale from spoiling after six bloody trips around the Equator! If your beer tastes like an astringent - it is neither an IPA or a beer!

2.) Friends don't let friends drink foo-foo beer. Period. Beer has four ingredients: Barley-Malt, Hops, Yeast and Water (the Germans even have a law that so states since the 1500s!)

3.) When my beer-drinking and singing buddies gather for a pub sing, we always remind all of this with our "beer hymn" (the other beer hymn, not Ein Prosit), which goes like this (sorry for the poor audio, it is the only post I can find of the song, actually sung by the guy who wrote it:

https://youtu.be/zUTcMOYqllA

Lyrics:

Here's to Beer that Tastes Like Beer

Ch:

Here's to beer that tastes like beer!
An amber glass of wholesome cheer
A noble brew that has no peer
Beer that Tastes Like Beer!

For centurys the brewers craft
Produced the most exquisite draft
When he brews with what he oughter
Barley malt, hops, yeast and water.