Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-17-2017, 05:14 PM   #41
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
1987 29' Sovereign
1978 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , Florida
🍺 🍺 🍺

GUINNESS for strength, of course!

According to Stephen Bailey, writer/researcher for Men's Health magazine Guinness has the second to lowest carbs and only 125 calories compared to brands such as Bud, Coors, Sierra Nevada Ale and similar popular brands.

A pint of Guinness also contains many nutrients and all the B vitamins except B12.

Slainte'

"A wise man (woman) invented beer. A smart one drinks it. But a genius drinks GUINNESS."

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine
369goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 05:19 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdog06 View Post
We're headed to Shenandoah this weekend - I'll add this to our agenda for sure! We love beer and checking out local microbreweries.
Cool!! I'll tell Jim to expect you! I think they're only open limited hours, so double check on the hours before you go. And then report back to me about the beer please.
weirdstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 06:35 PM   #43
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

I'm not quite sure that I should admit this, but .... I believe I have tried about 90% of the beers mentioned. I don't think I would .... errr ... could ... turn down a bottle .. errr ... case ... of any of them

Tonight was Abbot 12 from St. Bernardus (on tap no less) not at all a bad beer. Might be a bit tough to swing by the brewery for the tour towing the 30' ..... hmmm .... well maybe .... hmmm .....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 06:57 PM   #44
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1973 21' Globetrotter
1975 26' Argosy 26
Vista , California
Vista California ( N.county SanDiego) has at least 10 more for you enjoyment!
bibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 07:49 PM   #45
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Des Peres , Missouri
St Louis Mo is home to 53 micro breweries and a couple of large ones too.
dmbecke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 08:37 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by 75Bob View Post
Absolutely best in Oregon "Full Sail Brewing Co" Hood River, Oregon.
Complete beer menu and a good food menu to boot.
Nope. Although Full Sail is not without merit, Rogue brewery offerings as well as Deschutes and Pelican are equally good if not better.

Mike
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 08:39 PM   #47
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Newport , Arkansas
New Glarus Brewery in New Glarus Wisconsin. Spotted Cow is well known, as is their Cherry Tart and Raspberry Tart fruit beers. Before you turn up your nose at these fruity ones, as our fam did at first, change your mindset and think breakfast beer. Great for Christmas morning brunch. Also a fave among the WI bunch is anything from Lakefront Brewery in Milwaukee. We like the ESB and Klisch. Closer to home Core brewery in Springdale, AR and Lost Forty in LR are putting out some wonderful beers, as is High Cotton brewery in Memphis. I like the the pilsners and DH likes the ESB's.
All of the these ( except Memphis) are near superb camping ... Wisconsin Dells, state parks, COE lakes, and Buffalo National River in Northwest AR.
eggman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 08:40 PM   #48
3 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
2017 30' International
Sun City , Arizona
Virginia’s Microbrewery Trails

If you find yourself in the Shenandoah this fall, check out on of Virginia’s fine microbreweries https://www.virginia.org/craftbeer You won’t be disappointed,
I’m a big fan of Devil’s Backbone Virginia Lager and Old Bust Head Chukker Pilsner.
Escape_Plan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 09:03 PM   #49
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggman View Post
.....change your mindset and think breakfast beer. ......
Hi

Hmmm..... what beer goes best with cold cereal at 7AM in your Airstream? ... maybe time to start another thread .... There's a whole *world* of beer I've never properly evaluated !!! I think I might go with Old Rasputin Imperial Stout on the first pass. Maybe a milk stout on the cereal .....

Who said our threads always spiral out of control?

Fruit flavor beers? There's a rather major tradition of Lambic brewing out there. It can range from "apple cider" sweet to massive sour. I keep hoping somebody will get it going in this country. Since it's often done with wild yeast, that might be a bit tough. Equally unusual, it's Pumpkin beer season in most of the country. They make Pumpkin Lambic's. The one at dinner was nothing very exciting.

So many directions to go and so little self control

Bob
Old 10-17-2017, 09:30 PM   #50
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Favorite? My own homebrew!
Airhead59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 04:56 AM   #51
Paul Kukstis

2018 30' Classic
Scituate , Massachusetts
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7926.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	280.6 KB
ID:	297281halfway between Boston & Cape Cod - new microbrew just opened in my hometown....great beer and the cans match the AS perfectly.
paul.kukstis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 07:35 AM   #52
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

I will admit a bias towards whatever beers happen to be on tap in the kitchen. Convenience does impact the decision. The long walk out to the fridge (must be at least 15 feet) is a barrier. I've moved some of my fridge inventory into a family room fridge ....

So, for beer in the AS, it obviously needs to be cold for consumption. Having a case of beer in the fridge while rolling down the road seems like a bit of a strain on the fridge door latch. Yes that *could* be a function of my driving and possibly a poor selection of TV and hitch (you knew that had to come back in again. ... ) I pull the beer down to a bare minimum before moving out. I then restock the fridge at the next campsite.

Here's the question: Do you put the pulled beer back in the case or have a party? If you put it in the case, where do you locate the case? Is it in the trailer (if so where) or in the TV? (same where?). Considering that convenience applies here as well, I tend to stash the case under the dinette table when in motion.

What does everybody else do?

Bob
Old 10-18-2017, 09:09 AM   #53
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
So, for beer in the AS, it obviously needs to be cold for consumption. Having a case of beer in the fridge while rolling down the road seems like a bit of a strain on the fridge door latch. Yes that *could* be a function of my driving and possibly a poor selection of TV and hitch (you knew that had to come back in again. ... ) I pull the beer down to a bare minimum before moving out. I then restock the fridge at the next campsite.

What does everybody else do?
Your conundrum is why they make these top-opening fridges:
https://www.amazon.com/Dometic-TC-21...e+refrigerator
that run on either 12vDC or 120vAC.

The one I have is one size smaller, and holds sodas while I'm driving because I can't get up from the driver's seat to go to my Airstream Interstate's fridge while the vehicle is in motion. It also allows me to keep my beverages cold at the campsite without taking up space in my dinky 3.1cf Nova Kool fridge in the Interstate that could better be filled with food.
Old 10-18-2017, 09:17 AM   #54
2 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Bennington , Vermont
First off, best thread ever by far.
Secondly, I have to say, after exhaustive research I have concluded that the best beer is almost always the coldest one.
Old 10-18-2017, 10:05 AM   #55
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouchodon View Post
First off, best thread ever by far.
Secondly, I have to say, after exhaustive research I have concluded that the best beer is almost always the coldest one.
Back when I still drank— which was also when I moonlighted at a bar in the French Quarter— the best beer was one that someone else bought for me after my shift ended…

Partly because once you drop a shot glass of whiskey into it to make it a boilermaker, it doesn't much matter if you started with great beer or just good beer. Though there were nights when I preferred the boilermaker's stronger cousin, the Irish Car Bomb (which should never be ordered in an Irish pub anywhere in the world unless you want very painful knuckle-bumps on your head and body).
Old 10-18-2017, 10:07 AM   #56
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
Wow! Lots of beer people here!

I am partial to 5 Rabbit beers, since my very best friend, author, and beer expert, and all around cool dude is none other than Randy Mosher. Those of you that brew more than likely know this guy.

Randy is a partner with 5 Rabbit in Chicago, as well as a brew pub Forbidden Root. I'll pack a bunch of Super Pils, maybe a bomber of something corked that either they make or a nice Belgian.

I also have grown fond of the beers from Off Color, especially their Troublesome. They are also from Chicago.

I know distribution is key for craft to get around, and that it is always a headache.

Cheers!

JL
Old 10-18-2017, 03:10 PM   #57
4 Rivet Member

2023 25' Flying Cloud
Richmond , Virginia
I built a bar for my AS, so have a fair bit of experience drinking in front of it.

Best beers: Franziskaner. I usually grab a 6 pack of it from total wine or similar as it's the best beer I've ever had. It's been brewed for 650 years, so they've mastered the art, I think.
Maredsous tripel - a belgian tripel by the belgians, one of the best tasting beers I've ever had and has a 10.5% abv butt-kick. Somehow the belgians can make a high abv beer that isn't hopped to eternity to cover it up or covered up with chocolate/peanutbutter/caramel or whatever, unlike most american breweries. I generally go for taste over abv, but I'd be just as happy to drink it if it had 4%, it's that good.

As for more widely available stuff - magic hat number 9, abita purple haze, sierra nevada pale ale are all good and can usually be found at big grocery chains instead of specialized beer stores.

Breweries with somewhat decent distribution: Blue Point in long island is really good, their black and blue can only be had there or if you can find their blueberry and oatmeal stout at the same store and mix it yourself.
Ommegang in upstate NY is really good, they know how to brew belgians. Their trois philosophers is a great tripel and their Rosetta is actually brewed for them by Leifmann's in belgium. Both good and available at specialty beer stores or at the brewery.

Some more local breweries that are good but without the big time distribution: Hardywood (Richmond), which has a great belgian singel. Ardent (Richmond), which I don't have any one favorite but they're all pretty good. Pro re nata (Charlottesville), which is cool to go to just for the fact that they have a tasting area/bar made out of shipping containers (and the beer is good, too). Blue Mountain (Charlottesville), which has a great location, good food and really good beer.

And my favorite local brewery, Hellbender in DC, which the owner/brew master is a phd chemical engineer who decided to focus his considerable talents on brewing beer. They have one of the only belgian mash filtration systems in the US and every beer I had there was truly excellent. Worth visiting for the outstanding beer and for the tour, especially if the owner is there as he knows the whys along with the hows of everything there, in minute detail if you ask for it, and you can tell he truly loves what he's doing.

Also worth going to is Bull and Barrel in Brewster, NY. They pipe the beer directly from the conditioners to the bar in chilled lines, so it's as fresh as you could possibly have. Also a good one to do the brewery tour of as it's a cool setup.

I bought a fizzics so I can have whatever beer I want on-tap (works best with growlers, but you have to commit to finishing it) and have a growlerchill on the way so I can have 3 beers on tap and rotate them in as I want with the ability for it to stay fresh for up to a month. A few breweries around here the only way to get their beer is to go with growlers, and it really doesn't get any better than beer fresh from the tap at the brewery.

If I'm going to drink swill, it'll be Hamm's because of this commercial, or miller high life because it's the champagne of bears (and preferably ponies, because they're fun).

The only beers I stay away from are heavy stouts (some of them you almost have to chew), double and triple IPA's (which seem like are just a way for people to cover up bad tasting high abv beers with a ton of hops) and some of the german pilsners, which just have a bad after taste to me. I thought maybe it was due to the process of bottling, preservering and getting it here, but I had a Kolsch in Cologne and it was the same.

If you love beer, you owe yourself a trip to belgium. I went there and have never had such a wide variety of truly excellent beer. I don't think I had a single bad one, and at one carnival we went to, the beer in the beer garden was the same price as bottled water and cheaper than Coke or Lemonade!
bobzdar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 03:34 PM   #58
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

We fortunately have a pretty good Belgian restaurant here in town. I don't believe I have ever still had the car keys after visiting there ..... They serve nothing but Belgian beer and I have not yet found a bad one. I *have* done a lot of research trying to find one though

Bob
Old 10-18-2017, 03:46 PM   #59
blackdog06

2017 25' Flying Cloud
2015 23' Flying Cloud
Tuttle , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdstuff View Post
Cool!! I'll tell Jim to expect you! I think they're only open limited hours, so double check on the hours before you go. And then report back to me about the beer please.
Will do! Checked out their Facebook page...can't wait!!
Blackdog06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 03:48 PM   #60
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Fayetteville , Arkansas
Now that I’m off the clock and heading to the house, I can participate.

eggman, I like your selections; both the North Woods and Midsouth. I would add New Glarus Brown Squirrel. These camping destinations are equally recommended.

2017 25' Safari FBQ - “Fly Fish Inn
2023 F150 XLT
FishByFly is offline   Reply With Quote