Old 11-12-2013, 08:23 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Oh I love the led head lamps - love love - that plus another small led flashlight for AS and one for TV

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 09:10 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Amarillo , Texas
Wow folks, thanks! Just processing all this and googling lots of things, as all things RV are brand new to me!

Old 11-12-2013, 09:18 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
In year two of camping and we spent a lot of time getting rid of the stuff that we didn't use in year one. Year three and we pitched even more stuff. That said, it was fun to collect stuff initially and even more fun getting rid of it because we now feel good about travelling light

"You can't tow that with that!"

http://toadsoftowedhaul.com
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 09:28 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
also bought Sonin 50211 Rapitest 10% to 28% Pinless Analog Wood, Concrete, Plaster, Carpet, and More Moisture Meter - Amazon.com

there are other versions of this as I understand including systems that monitor several probes over time...this seemed simple and effective enough as far as I can tell...just probe perimeter for any signs of leaks!!

oh, checked my amazon order history, bought zip ties (assorted pack of a bunch of em), extra hose washers, brass y-dual outlet hose adapter

I opted to buy a "sewer solution"...to use - will plan on keeping the slinky as a backup or for very quick dump if needed....bought the extension for the sewer solution...bought on sale for like 100 bucks...I would consider this a non-essential if money is tight....

portable grill? I have not gone there yet to be honest...will cook in the AS for now - im broke so will wait for b-days, christmas and such to expand...same for dishes...

I really want a good handheld vacuum for the trailer....my mother in law has an amazing little orec plug in unit - it hangs on a shoulder strap, really great...want something like that but not that much money - I think they are pricey....I will wait for later on this and use sweeper and perhaps buy a basic 2 gallon shop vac and leave in truck for now...

Old 11-12-2013, 09:28 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUKToad View Post
In year two of camping and we spent a lot of time getting rid of the stuff that we didn't use in year one. Year three and we pitched even more stuff. That said, it was fun to collect stuff initially and even more fun getting rid of it because we now feel good about travelling light
what was some things that you chucked?

Old 11-12-2013, 10:19 PM   #20

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post

We chucked the 27' Airstream and got a 34'... ;0)
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 10:34 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Pots and pans, mostly. Plates, glasses, mugs and sundry other cooking items; all heavy stuff. We realised that we were set up to provide banquets for thousands when we were just four of us, sometimes two. We stopped taking the portable grill/barbecue thingy as well, because once used it was really stinky, no matter how we cleaned it, and that took up a lot of room. We used to take a very heavy fold up table and we ditched that in favour of one half the size and a quarter of the weight and we also used to take our fold up bug-proof (almost) gazebo, also a heavy item. There were times when we could have used that gazebo but overall we are happy that we no longer haul it around.

Our style of camping keeps us quite close to civilisation most of the time so if we really need something that we don't have with us, we can normally beg, steal, borrow or buy said item whilst on the road

Old 11-12-2013, 10:35 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoAgRV View Post
We chucked the 27' Airstream and got a 34'... ;0)
Ha ha!

Old 11-12-2013, 10:52 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, even though all of these suggestions are pretty good, you don't need everything right now. [might over load your trailer] Buy some of it as you need it. Many of the things that you will need for your trailer will come from your house, mostly from your bathroom and kitchen. My trailer came with a real cheap and too short of a sewer hose, buy a good one. My sewer hose wouldn't work at my very first camp ground.

If you want a good crash course on RV camping, I suggest that you buy and watch only two movies, then you will learn real quick on what you need to do and know.

(1.) RV with Robin Williams.

(2.) The Long Long Trailer with Lucy and Desi.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 11:30 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
yeah, I have pretty much besides for all the crap I listed here kept dishes, pots, and pans and other stuff out till we really figure how we will cook and do on trips and adapt solely for how it all goes...will just do paper, a few plates, a pot a pan, a couple bowls, etc from kitchen till we figure out what we truly use....hopefully avoid unnecessary stuff that I will never use...

So far I am quite confident everything I have bought will be used.

Learnin from you good peoples' experiences

Old 11-12-2013, 11:54 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
colorado springs , Colorado
My top few items:
- Sewer Solution. Keep the Stinky Slinky as Backup
- Dyson Hot cold Fan - Its keeping out trailer toasty right now and its 31 degrees out!
- Dyson cordless vac. We use this daily
- a lot of 3M double sided tape to mount stuff
- Replaced shower head with that water ergo one (everyone uses)
- 30amp LCD powersurge protector. Love to see the amp draw.
- Sleep Number Air Mattress
- a good tool set / bag
- FlipJack and Equalizer or great load hitch
- Camco high end level for front
- 5' ladder that compacts to 4x4 in width and fits in bumper
- electric drill for stabilizers
- test of my 2 Honda 2000 gennies
- comfortable collapsible chairs
Old 11-13-2013, 06:48 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Bangor , Maine
Quote:
I opted to buy a "sewer solution"...to use - will plan on keeping the slinky as a backup or for very quick dump if needed....bought the extension for the sewer solution...bought on sale for like 100 bucks...I would consider this a non-essential if money is tight....
I have a sewer solution that I only use when needed, particularly when the dump is at a higher level than my dump valves. It seems that SOBs have their valves MUCH higher than ASs and a result I have a run into a few campgrounds that the Sewer Solution became indispensable. However most of the time I use the Rhino hose as it is quicker and easier to use than the Serwer Solution in conjunction with the internal black tank sprayer.

Quote:
portable grill? I have not gone there yet to be honest...will cook in the AS for now
I have this unit and have been very very happy with it:
Cuisinart CCG-100 GrateLifter Portable Charcoal Grill

Quote:
I really want a good handheld vacuum for the trailer....my mother in law has an amazing little orec plug in unit - it hangs on a shoulder strap, really great...want something like that but not that much money - I think they are pricey....I will wait for later on this and use sweeper and perhaps buy a basic 2 gallon shop vac and leave in truck for now...
I have this B&D unit and have been very happy with it. Plugs into the 12v socket and has plenty of power. Pretty affordable also. A dyson rechargeable would be nice but way too pricey.

Black & Decker PAV1200W 12-Volt Cyclonic-Action Automotive Pivoting-Nose Handheld Vacuum Cleaner
Old 11-13-2013, 06:53 AM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic
Wildwood , Missouri
Did someone mention a 50 amp converter to use on a 30 amp cable? Anyway, it is a good idea. Now for the girly stuff - I absolutely love my little induction burner! I have a Precision Induction burner that I got on Amazon for $80..00. I also have a nice extension cord. This burner works well with cast iron or induction cookware. I can use the extension cord and take the burner to the picnic table and cook breakfast right there without having to stink up my trailer. We've even made a shrimp boil on it - boils water fast. That is my favorite addition to my Airstream, along with soft, biodegradable toilet paper! Enjoy!
Old 11-13-2013, 07:23 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by kswelsh View Post
Did someone mention a 50 amp converter to use on a 30 amp cable? Anyway, it is a good idea. Now for the girly stuff - I absolutely love my little induction burner! I have a Precision Induction burner that I got on Amazon for $80..00. I also have a nice extension cord. This burner works well with cast iron or induction cookware. I can use the extension cord and take the burner to the picnic table and cook breakfast right there without having to stink up my trailer. We've even made a shrimp boil on it - boils water fast. That is my favorite addition to my Airstream, along with soft, biodegradable toilet paper! Enjoy!
An induction burner is our next buy. We have a full size induction stove top at home now and it's brilliant, so a baby one for the Airstream is a must.