Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-11-2017, 04:34 AM   #1
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Never Forget.....

Bob
Old 09-11-2017, 04:49 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Wwe must never forget or forgive for so many reasons.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 05:13 AM   #3
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Agreed.
Thanks for posting.

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 03:28 AM   #4
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Especially this year.....

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 09-11-2020, 06:27 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Mooresville , North Carolina
I was in NYC that morning for business about 5 blocks away. Was standing in battery park watching as the 1st Tower fell. Will never forget that day.
GOUSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 06:33 AM   #6
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOUSC View Post
I was in NYC that morning for business about 5 blocks away. Was standing in battery park watching as the 1st Tower fell. Will never forget that day.
Jim, I think each of can remember exactly what we were doing on that beautiful Sept. morning. But to be there and see the tower come down must have been a life altering experience.

We were at the Flight 93 Memorial several years ago which was very emotional!

Such a sad day for the whole world!
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 06:44 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2001 25' Excella
Spokane , Washington
Agreed; hard to believe that it's been nineteen years ago.

2001 Excella 25
2000 GMC 2500 Classic 4x4, 5.7L
jw21id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 08:03 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Never forget the lessons of history.

I’m sure we all remember exactly where we were when this happened. I know I do.
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 08:07 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I'll never forget or forgive.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 09:12 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
My wife, son and I were on our way to Disney World that morning. We circled Atlanta Hartsfield airport for about 45 minutes. The 2 towers had already been hit but the 3rd plane's location was unknown (they didn't tell us anything, I don't think the pilot knew either). They evacuated everyone from the airport after we had been on the ground for about an hour.

It's a long story but that's the gist of it, other than arriving in Disney World several days later just in time for a hurricane, our hotel undergoing renovation and Fort Wilderness being flooded so all the RVs, TTs etc. filled up the parking lot of the hotel and we had to lug everything in the rain to our room.

As far as remembering, I had an experience at Toyota that was surprising. The company was always trying to improve relations between the Japanese and American employees in the office. One year they had a cultural exchange meeting planned for December 7. I said to the guy (American) planning the meeting that it was an unusual date for that meeting. He replied "what's so special about that date?"..... So much for infamy.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 09:58 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
This is an article from the Washington Post about Army soldier Thomas Payne, who is receiving the Medal of Honor today for his actions in helping rescue 70 hostages in northern Iraq.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...r-payne-trump/

Such bravery, every day, from these men and women.

If you can get into the article, the video of the rescue operation from a helmet camera and his statements following are worth a few minutes of time.

I was hard at work at my office computer on 9/11 and unaware of what was happening for several hours, when I got up and walked into the break room to find many of my co-workers sitting in there watching it on TV.

Maggie
Old 09-11-2020, 10:44 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Mooresville , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans627 View Post
Jim, I think each of can remember exactly what we were doing on that beautiful Sept. morning. But to be there and see the tower come down must have been a life altering experience.

We were at the Flight 93 Memorial several years ago which was very emotional!

Such a sad day for the whole world!
Email sent Hanno.
GOUSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 11:57 AM   #13
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
On our caravan to Newfoundland last year we visited the former US Airbase in Stephenville and the Airfield in Gander. Both were locations for transatlantic flights that were forced to land when all air traffic was stopped in the United States.

It was amazing how the people of Newfoundland opened their homes and their hearts to these travelers who were stranded for days on this island. The people of Newfoundland are some of the warmest and kindest people I have ever met and I am so fortunate to have had the opportunity to visit their island.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 12:03 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2017 20' Flying Cloud
Williamson County , Texas
In a meeting the next day and had an empty seat for an invitee who perished on 9/11. My brother knew two interns who had just graduated with honors, the young man and young woman both killed in The Towers....
Old 09-11-2020, 01:17 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by richw46 View Post
My wife, son and I were on our way to Disney World that morning. We circled Atlanta Hartsfield airport for about 45 minutes. The 2 towers had already been hit but the 3rd plane's location was unknown (they didn't tell us anything, I don't think the pilot knew either). They evacuated everyone from the airport after we had been on the ground for about an hour.

It's a long story but that's the gist of it, other than arriving in Disney World several days later just in time for a hurricane, our hotel undergoing renovation and Fort Wilderness being flooded so all the RVs, TTs etc. filled up the parking lot of the hotel and we had to lug everything in the rain to our room.

As far as remembering, I had an experience at Toyota that was surprising. The company was always trying to improve relations between the Japanese and American employees in the office. One year they had a cultural exchange meeting planned for December 7. I said to the guy (American) planning the meeting that it was an unusual date for that meeting. He replied "what's so special about that date?"..... So much for infamy.
Just curious, did the guy keep Dec 7 as the meeting date after you explained?
Jim
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 01:22 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
This is an article from the Washington Post about Army soldier Thomas Payne, who is receiving the Medal of Honor today for his actions in helping rescue 70 hostages in northern Iraq.
There was an interview with him on NBC News last night along with a video of the operation; impressive.

https://www.nbcnews.com/nightly-news...or-91462725765
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 01:39 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster View Post
On our caravan to Newfoundland last year we visited the former US Airbase in Stephenville and the Airfield in Gander. Both were locations for transatlantic flights that were forced to land when all air traffic was stopped in the United States.

It was amazing how the people of Newfoundland opened their homes and their hearts to these travelers who were stranded for days on this island. The people of Newfoundland are some of the warmest and kindest people I have ever met and I am so fortunate to have had the opportunity to visit their island.
I have just been reading “The English Wife”, which is fiction but centers around a plane diverted to Newfoundland on 9/11.

Maggie
Old 09-11-2020, 04:32 PM   #18
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
I have just been reading “The English Wife”, which is fiction but centers around a plane diverted to Newfoundland on 9/11.

Maggie
There is a broadway musical "Come Away From" that is all about the 7,000 stranded passengers. It is still only in New York and several foreign theaters, but I would love to see it when it travels out to Arizona.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 04:59 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
2016 23' International
Fernandina Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster View Post

I spent several years of my early childhood at Ernest Harmon AFB in Stephenville in the late 50's as an Air Force Brat. My dad was commander of the weather squadron there. The base was decommissioned in the mid 60s as the popularity of Jet aircraft made refuelling stops obsolete. Both Gander and Harmon Field saw many transAtlantic stopovers in their day and both still operate as International airports. I revisited the base in the summer of 2000 prior to 9-11. Much of the infrastructure was the same as when I was a 5 year old kid... the movie theater, the base HQ, and most of the terminal building.

Among our dignitaries who visited were The Queen of England (1958) during her tour of the Commonwealth, and the King, of Rock and Roll that is... Yes it was Elvis' last stop returning from his tour of duty in Germany, and his flight arrived at o'dark thirty in the early morning... The only thing open at that hour was my Dad's weather station so he stopped in and toured the facility while his plane refuelled, and he autographed a weather map from that date by signing This weather map inspected by Elvis Presley. My oldest sister, who was 13 at the time still has that prize possession. Later that day, he arrived at McGuire AFB and was discharged at Ft Dix.

We thoroughly enjoyed our time there, and my Dad was able to provide meat for us by bagging a Moose, and of course we fished a lot. When the Cod were plentiful and "running" you could pull them in by the basketful. Lobster was like chicken in terms of availability. Sadly, upon my return many years later, the cod were over fished and so too the lobster. But the people are as jovial and helpful as ever. There was serious resentment when the AF pulled out, but they managed to survive if not thrive with all the quality buildings and other infrastructure. Gander got most of the press during the 9-11 crisis, but yes, Stephenville was also credited with helping out. The airport was still hosting a bi-annual Harmon Field Day when I went there, and they bring in lots of military aircraft just like the old days, just Canadian Air Force and such. There is a lot of history there.

Most of the fishermen and lobstermen are barely getting by, but it's always been that way. It is a poor provence. When we packed up and left, Dad, having been transferred to Charleston AFB, we loaded our Station wagon full of winter clothes, toys and other household stuff and took it out to our Nanny's home, who was very appreciative. They had lots of kids!
Tomzstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 05:40 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
[emoji631][emoji631][emoji631][emoji631][emoji631][emoji631][emoji631][emoji631]!

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote