Old 01-19-2012, 10:38 AM   #29
Mystery Novelist
Alhambra , California
I'd like to thank everyone for the great responses---even the wiseguy ones.

My error regarding the year/model/size of the Loudermilks' trailer stemmed from the fact the book I'm adapting for television was actually published way back in 1994, so my memory is vague regarding the model year I chose for their 24-foot Excella. That info was accurate at the time, but as I want to bring the Loudermilks' story into the present in my script, I'll obviously have to update it.

I want to assure you all that I hold the Airstream brand in the highest regard and intend to get all the details relevant to the Loudermilks' experience as Airstream full-timers right. I came here for answers because I know Airstream owners like yourselves a) take this stuff very seriously and b) know their trailers inside out, and I can't very well portray Joe as a proud, card-carrying member of the Wally Byam Caravan Club if I myself can't write about the brand fairly and accurately.

Having said all that, however, this is a comedy-drama for television I'm writing, so some of the police procedural stuff is going to be a little on the unrealistic side. This ain't Masterpiece Theater, in other words.

Still, if this thing ever makes it to the airwaves, I promise not to embarrass anyone who, like Joe, calls an Airstream trailer their "home."

JLoudermilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 10:44 AM   #30
Rivet Master
1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Heh, well stated Mr. GAH. Airstreamers are a proud lot, and Airforums members can sometimes be a bit prickly as well. Honestly, I'm surprised and impressed with the number of thoughtful and interesting responses you've received, compared to the number of "wiseguy" ones.

Please let us know when we could expect to see this particular story out for public consumption, and good luck on your research. This forum is defintely the premier place to come for information on all things Airstream, you won't find a better resource.

Good luck!

utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 11:08 AM   #31
Figment of My Imagination
2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
Originally Posted by JLoudermilk View Post
…this is a comedy-drama for television I'm writing, so some of the police procedural stuff is going to be a little on the unrealistic side. This ain't Masterpiece Theater, in other words.
As soon as the words "for television" crop up, I readjust the settings on my disbelief suspension. I'll accept less accuracy from a television show than from a novel, if only because television has to appeal to a less-literate audience. That said, I applaud your efforts to make the story as accurate as possible within the limits of the medium. Those who know will appreciate it, those who don't know won't care; there's no downside.

WBCCI #1105

Engineering: Finding complex solutions to simple problems you didn't even know you had.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote