Old 10-21-2012, 10:35 AM   #29
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
Zavalla , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by purman View Post
A couple of other things to consider. 1968 and earlier were only 7 ft wide. 1969 and up were 7'6" and wider.
That, along with availability of a rear bedroom layout in 70's on, is probably going to rule out the 1968 and earlier models. I'm 6'8" tall so space is very important. Thanks for pointing this out.

Old 10-21-2012, 10:37 AM   #30
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
Zavalla , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
You need to make sure it was documented and done right. The connections to the frame at the rear are very important that they are done right. There is also an L-Shaped steel plate at the back that should be bolted to the rearmost cross member. The plate is riveted to the flat panel below the license plate.
It was definitely documented and he has sent me 250 pictures of it being taken apart. Unfortunately, he doesn't have the photos he took of the reconstruction in digital form... only in an album. But I will look for this plate and will ask him about it. And if you have any more info on what to look for in this regard, please let me know. I'll try to search other threads too.

Old 10-28-2012, 06:25 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
Zavalla , Texas
Hello from the Airstream Terraport in Jackson Center! What better way to mark the start of a journey with a new (to me) Airstream than spending your first night at the mother ship? When I realized it was possible to get from the location where I was buying the trailer to Jackson Center the same night, I simply could not pass up such an opportunity.

I did indeed end up buying the trailer with the work done as described earlier in this thread. I'm both excited and overwhelmed -- it seems like there are 1000 things to learn and 100 projects that I need to do in order to make this trailer my own. Absolutely everything is a mystery and a puzzle -- down to closing the front door smoothly!

The biggest issue is getting the furnace running so I can boondock on my way home (hoping that the service dept might be able to help me with that tomorrow). The previous owner thinks that it may need an ignitor -- at least that is what his troubleshooting led him towards. It would probably be a repair that I would try to tackle myself if I knew this trailer better. But as I'd like to use the trailer on the way home I will prob just bite the bullet and see if they can fix it for me.

The next pressing issue is that the shower is going to need a rebuild. Unfortunately, the previous owner never used the shower due to a cracked pan. I was hoping that was all that was needed and was going to attempt a repair, but as I've spent time looking more closely, it looks like the fixtures were removed when the previous owner redid the plumbing through the whole unit. He didn't bother to replumb the shower nozzle and faucet as he didn't plan on springing for a new shower pan anytime soon. Hopefully the drain is still in place, and it looks like it might be. Since the sink is right next to the shower, the faucet and head should not be too difficult. But the shower walls and pan are not in great shape so they will need refurb in the process.

Well, I just wanted to update this thread to say HEY and HELLO from Jackson Center! I now live among you, and I can call you FELLOW Airstream owners!