Old 06-04-2016, 10:59 AM   #15

2001 34' Limited S/O
HamLake , Minnesota
I was told to never cover your AS, except with a roof over it.

Old 06-04-2016, 11:05 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
I'm definitely a Benjamin kind of guy: "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure."

Although, with the hail problem, short of putting the trailer under some other freestanding structure, I am not sure there is much you can do about the possibility of hail damage. The only thing I could come up with is layering a couple of inches of foam on the top and tying it down with bungee cords. The foam is also soft enough that it won't damage the protective coating on the aluminum like a tarp will.

Old 06-04-2016, 11:46 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1984 31' Excella
Olsburg , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdickinson View Post
Best option is to store it under cover. But then when you actually use the trailer it is exposed. It's a risk we accept. My AS is a one family trailer and we've used for nearly 50 years and the worst thing that happened was a low flying duck (yes really) hit the front curb side panel and dented it in pretty good. It is fixed now with a replacement panel. For me it's not a rolling museum it's a trailer and will earn wear and tear by being used for what it was built for.
Yep, ducks, big birds happen. Same occurance a couple of years ago. Also have hail damage, don't like dents but still useful to camp in. Don't enter best looking AS competition any more. . I do house mine at home in a pole barn with Strong Barn corrugated steel. Hail dents obviously happen. Love to camp in trailer no longer in tent.
Old 06-04-2016, 11:51 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOS View Post
You guys worry too much . Just enjoy your AS and if something happens then deal with it.

With every year that passes owning our 2013 30' International I worry less and less. I began to realize that having all these anxieties over it wanted me to get rid of it. Thankfully I began to realize the futility of avoiding all perils big and small and now that I accumulated some minor dents, nicks and scratches I stopped worrying. The trailer is just as enjoyable with them as without them.
Old 06-04-2016, 11:54 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Spartanburg , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdickinson View Post
Best option is to store it under cover. But then when you actually use the trailer it is exposed. It's a risk we accept. My AS is a one family trailer and we've used for nearly 50 years and the worst thing that happened was a low flying duck (yes really) hit the front curb side panel and dented it in pretty good. It is fixed now with a replacement panel. For me it's not a rolling museum it's a trailer and will earn wear and tear by being used r what it was built for.
Ditto regarding our '67 Overlander. Always stored outside, weathered at least 4 hail storms with up to silver dollar sized hail, no dents except one caused by a bicycle and a couple under the front caused by rocks. Water leaks? Now that is a different subject.
Old 06-04-2016, 12:25 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Franklin Park , Illinois
"Hail no"

My 345 motor home is pretty beat up hail dents, regular dents, probably 1/4 of the clear coat gone
It's a "catch 22" I do kind of wish it was smooth and had a nice mat Finnish...
But then I think I'd be living in fear of damage, not to mention I probably couldn't have afforded it in the first place (it was $10,000 not the $30000 - $40000 ya see the nice shiny ones going for)
I agree just try to enjoy it!
I Owen a 1967 ford wagon and I've been with people who see another guy cruising in his old car and they say "look at that lucky guy cruising down the highway in his classic without a care in the world"
I'm sure people who see me cruising in my motor home think the same thing. But if they could read my mind they would hear me thinking...
"Did I just hear a knock? What was that noise? Why is that inside dual 5* warmer then the outside? Did I just see the oil pressure gauge fluctuate? I really should try to get that rear window seal fixed better, and buddy in the car in front of me who just cut me off... You have WAY more faith in my breaks then I do!"
I see the dents, scratches, and duct tape as battel scars!
And I have to admit I'm hoping for a little severe weather to come my way so I can tell my insurance company that cracked windshield happen in a storm and not before I bought it
As for a tarp I agree I don't think it would be much help, I've ran for cover in a hail storm in a hat and light coat and was amazed how much it hurt
Old 06-04-2016, 12:28 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Woodburn , Oregon
I see you live in Oregon , well I live in Oregon also and in my 62 years here I have never seen or heard of any hail damage on any thing here . I'm thinking that is a more mid western and maybe mountian state thing ,but here that is one of my least Things to be worrying about so sleep tight my friend
Old 06-04-2016, 01:04 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Sounds like you have a nice rig! Of course, hail is many an Airstreamer's biggest fear. We do worry about it ... we can't help that ... but at the same time we refuse to let the "possibility" keep us from enjoying and using it. We have been in some pretty heavy hail storms while on the road...one in particular, I was SURE we'd have dents, but when we stopped and checked, we didn't! I was amazed and pleasantly surprised. We do store it at home under cover, so if it happens it's going to be while we are on a trip...and there's not much you can do about while you're traveling. As they say, "That's what insurance is for."
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 01:28 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Lenoir City , Tennessee
Steve, shelter logic seems to come in many models. Do you remember which one to ended up buying?
WBCCI - #4335
2005 Diesel Excursion
2008 31' Custom Classic "Moonshine"
2016 Interstate "BugOut"
kfrere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 02:38 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Nixa , Missouri
Before I purchased my Airstream I had a question about hail.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/...ke-100570.html

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 03:42 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by John&Vicki View Post
My trailer is stored in a lot for my neighborhood. I think I would be allowed to build a shelter for it. Does anyone have experience with this type?

I notice that they come with aluminum or canvas tops. Any experience with how they fare in winds?

Thanks,
John

Your photo looks like one I have made by Shelter Logic. It works great for my 23' FC. I had to order an extra set of 3' poles so it would be high enough. The guy at Shelter Logic thought it would be more susceptible to wind with the extra height, so I guyed down the corners like you would a tent. We usually don't have spectacular storms here in Sacramento, but it's taken whatever nature has thrown at it for two years without any problems. I'm sure I'll have to replace the canopy at some point.

Here it is:

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1465076526.824156.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	263850

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 06-04-2016, 04:18 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
I've bought a very basic supply of Hot Glue dent puling equipment: Hand puller, 1/2 dozen pull tabs, hot glue gun and a couple of Tap Downs. Cost minimal. Am going to try pulling a couple of larger dents caused by dealer changing out an AC unit. I'll do a photo spread of the project if it works out OK. I have a few small hail dents that have never worked themselves out. If the larger projects work out and my skill lever seems appropriate , I may tackle those later. Working with the AL is more difficult than steel, so we shall see how it all comes out.
Old 06-04-2016, 04:22 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Greenback , Tennessee
I must confess that hail worries me as well. It probably started many years ago at a western Kansas KOA when I saw a beautiful AS that looked like someone took a ball peen hammer to it all over! I understand that the greatest chance of damage is while the rig is being stored. I keep mine stored inside a large building, even though it is over thirty miles from home. When on the road, I just worry, even though it does no good. I do carry insurance, in the event that things go to hail!
Old 06-04-2016, 04:27 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1990 25' Excella
Sisters , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
Before I purchased my Airstream I had a question about hail.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/...ke-100570.html

Kelvin
That thread did nothing to assuage my fears. I'm now trying to adopt a new attitude toward hail, choosing between c'est la vie or que sera, sera.

John

WBCCI #4291

Grown men don't need leaders. ~ Edward Abbey
John&Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote