Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-14-2016, 07:52 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Atlanta , Georgia
My dream Airstream would have...

So, I've been giving some thought to buying an airstream and having it renovated. Heres what I'd love to have in it:

- King size bed that converts to sofa during the day (with electric ceiling projection screen and short throw projector in front of the bed)
- Grand piano (real not digi)
- Freestanding bathtub + shower
- Regular toilet with built-in bidet
- Smaller kitchen, I don't need a stove/oven and lots of counter space just a convection oven/microwave, sink, refrigerator, and tiny counter.
- Dinnette space with table/seats that also converts into home office

I realize I'd need to be hooked up to water/electric all the time for this to work.

So I'm thinking I'd need at minimum an Airstream Excella 34'

Thoughts? Am I crazy?

Jacob
jacobjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 09:18 PM   #2
Rivet Master

One of the voices in my head said you are crazy.

The piano idea is not the greatest idea. Someone did put a built in organ in a trailer though.
A real acoustic piano would be too heavy. You would have a heck of a time getting it in the door and past the furniture. It would cost a fortune to have it tuned because of the drastic temperature changes. The new digital keyboards with weighted keys sound so good.

I really don't know what a free standing tub is. ( Claw foot? ) too heavy and might not fit in the door

Minimum 34' ????….Airstream doesn't make a bigger one.

Wait….another voice in my head just said that you were most likely not very crazy.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 11:03 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Alternative

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobjm View Post
So, I've been giving some thought to buying an airstream and having it renovated. Heres what I'd love to have in it:

- King size bed that converts to sofa during the day (with electric ceiling projection screen and short throw projector in front of the bed)
- Grand piano (real not digi)
- Freestanding bathtub + shower
- Regular toilet with built-in bidet
- Smaller kitchen, I don't need a stove/oven and lots of counter space just a convection oven/microwave, sink, refrigerator, and tiny counter.
- Dinnette space with table/seats that also converts into home office

I realize I'd need to be hooked up to water/electric all the time for this to work.

So I'm thinking I'd need at minimum an Airstream Excella 34'

Thoughts? Am I crazy?

Jacob
Don't even consider it. If you must do something like this, start with a 10 meter AVION. It has 3 massive frame rails that COULD take the weight. With an Airsteam's puny frame, what you'll get is a broken frame and holes poked through the floor from the weight of the piano's legs and the clawfoot tub's legs.

I had an old house with a cast iron clawfoot tub. The Atlantic Fleet could have held maneuvers in that thing... but cast iron conducts heat... the water gets luke warm real fast, and if you like a long soak you drain 3 inches and run in 3 inches of HOT water. I loved that old tub, but I wouldn't even think of putting one in a trailer. They make fiberglass reproductions in any size you want. They weigh a fraction of what cast iron does and holds the heat slightly better. A conventional water heater won't produce enough water to fill a big clawfoot... add a tankless water heater to your list.

Agree totally with Mandolindave about the grand piano - a trailer might hold a baby grand, it'll never hold a concert grand. The metal shack construction and tiny interior space will never show off the tonal quality of a great piano... I'm not a huge fan of electronics in musical instruments - but you'd be playing it inside of a big tin can!

Some people have added bidet toilets to their Airstreams - and others have used home plumbing, but you're talking about totally stationery trailers. "Park Models".

In the end you own it, do what you want but realize you'll surely hurt the value for resale purposes - and you'll need a tractor trailer to move it if you ever want to. The words "form follows function" don't seem to fit with your dream.

Sincerely, Paula
Old 01-28-2016, 07:59 PM   #4

2016 26' Flying Cloud
Healdsburg , California
Maybe if you wanted a chair built out of gold bars you could find something heavier than a grand piano (assuming you'd of course need a bosendorfer imperial grand for the extended low end) :-) at least the gold bar chair wouldn't likely roll through the side of the trailer in a sharp turn.
cellarrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 09:06 PM   #5
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
I'd like a small brass combo. A couple of trombones, three French horns and a tuba.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 09:55 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
My Airstream would have Gordon Ramsay in front of the stove, Taylor Swift miked into the sound system, and Chuck Norris on the gaucho - just because.
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 03:14 AM   #7
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Chuck Norris looked at your Gaucho and it immediately turned into a Grand Piano.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 03:40 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
My dream Airstream... HAS a view that can change whenever I need to see a new one.

Right now it has an obnoxiously cute squirrel that sits on the step waiting for his morning serving of granola. I swear the little begger is starting to knock on the door! It once had a spastic great blue heron who preferred stale bread crusts. (Really those birds have crazed yellow eyes...).
Old 01-29-2016, 05:07 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Easy!
Better wiring setup so that repairs could be made without removing the interior!
No converter just a good inverter/charger and no electric battery disconnect.it is time for Airstream to join the 21st century on the system level!
I'd want the same interior layout that our 16' Bambi International has but stretched into a 19' interior. That would allow the wrap around windows at both ends, a larger fridge, a sink in a slightly larger bath, more counter space and a larger closet.
I'd prefer this to the available 19' design that closes off the rear of the unit with a bathroom... We love to see out of both ends!
Maybe in a perfect world that trailer would have dual axels? Not sure about that part but I'm guessing it would be nice...
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 05:19 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
This is why we so love our wrap around windows in our 16' Bambi...
This is the view we are waking up to this morning, our last in Grayton Beach State Park. I wouldn't be willing to give this view up!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	327.9 KB
ID:	256467  
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote