Old 12-06-2015, 10:30 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Castle Rock, CO & Boulder City, NV , CO/NV
MY Airstream survived another day...

J. Morgan made a post on "New, Less Expensive Airstream" thread about "Forums have a way of magnifying negatives. Few post everything worked just great today".

Our 2014 25 foot International, since our purchase, has exceeded our expectations.

The top drawer next to the bed would fall out onto the floor... twice while traveling over paved highways. I found a sack of "child proof drawer clips" at Lowes. If and when the drawer begins to open, it is retained unless the latch is compressed and can be fully extended. (It is a two piece, adjustable clip and I do not recall the name. Plastic. Inexpensive." Problem solved and if any others become a problem... I can fix that as well. Airstream might spend a little bit to install them, as well. Cost, maybe $5.00 for the package of four, or so.

One of the connections to the Propane Left/Right valve needed some pipe tape to seal a light odor of propane. Problem solved. Cost. $0.00

A large aluminum panel near the rear panel had excess aluminum and has a slight indent from being compressed to fit. Cost. $0.00 Just live with it.

Everything electrical, operates as expected.
Everything handling water, operates as expected.
Goodyear D Rated tires, have performed better than expected.

Potential problems.

The window gasket rubber will eventually loose their seal to the glass and leak. The small vented lower window on our 2006 Safari were dependable and could be opened in any weather for ventilation. Time will determine if Airstream's large opening windows as a unit are dependable.

Exposed copper propane tubes are exposed to road gravel. Made deflecting strips under the trailer from sections of angled galvanized roof gutter hardware to avoid a problem, if any.

The wires to the electric brakes are exposed to brush that will break and need to be soldered. This happened to me, but before we went anywhere Off the Grid. It was where the wires are crimped together, and might have been a bad crimp. I found the loose wire while adding "gutter tin" to deflect gravel from hitting the water valves beneath the axle, which are exposed to road gravel damage. (I advise EVERYONE to check their "hanging wires"... they are just looking for trouble.

From experience with 8 years of our first Airstream, I knew where to protect the bottom skin from road gravel impacting water valves, gas and water lines.

I would have to give our 2014 International a 95%. It is not perfect. Neither am I at 80%.

One satisfied Airstream 80% perfect Owner!

Human Bean
Ray Eklund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 11:02 AM   #2
1 Rivet Member
2010 20' Flying Cloud
Surry , Virginia
I aggree with Mr. Ray. I love my 20' FC now as much as the day I bought it, maybe more. A few problems along the way but that,s life.
I worked in nuclear power for 40 years and talk about QC, training, procedures, materials, testing, etc. Things still stop working, leak, wear out, get recalle, and more.
Remember this is camping. Getting away. Enjoying the outside while it is still there to enjoy.

NukeSubSailr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 06:05 AM   #3
Rivet Master
1973 25' Tradewind
Ringoes , New Jersey

I know how lucky I am to have a not perfect, slightly older but still working past 40 year old Airstream. I realize how much she gives me and how little I really need to give her back. Keeping her ready for our next adventure is a pleasure knowing she'll make the trip a great one. I am luck to be able to do most repairs myself. And also a big thank you to this forum for all it does! MPJ
moparjohn is offline   Reply With Quote