Old 08-08-2014, 07:22 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
'Must-see' festivals

Upon reading some of the post, one can't help but notice how excited people are when planning the trip .Other than our rally's, California's Burning man, a Nascar race, and New Mexico's balloon festival come to mind. Are there other festivals that we can camp at worth attending? I remember hearing about a week long music festival and something called Fantacy Fest. For streamers with kids, are they kid friendly or adult themed?

Old 08-08-2014, 08:06 AM   #2
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
I'd add one of my personal favorites: The Festival of the Cranes at Bosque del Apache here in New Mexico!

Festival of the Cranes Bosque del Apache National Wildlife Refuge New Mexico

Lynn

Old 08-08-2014, 08:13 AM   #3
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
You can't camp AT the festival, but you can camp in the metro area and commute to the festival:
New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival, held every year the last weekend in April (3 days) and first weekend in May (four days) at the New Orleans Fairgrounds Racetrack. Combination of big-name performers— usually late in the day— and local musicians. Good food, good music, fun for all ages. Make reservations early for the campground of your choice. Bayou Segnette State Park and St. Bernard State Park are within the city's metro area, Fountainbleu State Park and Fairview-Riverside State Park are right across Lake Pontchartrain. Being state parks, they don't boost their prices for special events. French Quarter RV Park is privately owned and therefore more expensive, but you can't beat the location. There is also a KOA in the suburbs. And if you don't mind a longer commute to the festival, Buccaneer State Park in Waveland, MS isn't too terribly far away, nor is Bogue Chitto State Park in Franklinton, LA.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 08:30 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
Protagonist I was traveling past New Orleans durring Marde Gras. I could not find a hotel for within a hundred miles. I was heading to the Keys so kept driving. What goes on there? Is it worth fighting the crowds?
Old 08-08-2014, 09:00 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
You can boondock at many music festivals. Hookups are available too if you plan way ahead. Check out Watermellon Park Music Fest in northern Virginia Sept 26 - 28. I am going.

Then there is the Wide Open Bluegrass Festival the next weekend in Raleigh, NC. I am going.

How about the Lockin Music Fest the weekend after laborday by Amherst, Va and the Festy by Wintergreen on Columbus Day weekend. Then there is Harvest Music Festival in Arkansas Oct 16-18.

I am sure there are lots more. Just google music festivals.

Dan
Old 08-08-2014, 09:25 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
I lived in northern Virginia for 15 years and never heard of the Watermellon festival. Thats why I'm asking fellow streamers where the ''good'' festivals are hideing. The dates do help on planning. Thank you streamers.
Old 08-08-2014, 09:55 AM   #7

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by streaminwild View Post
Protagonist I was traveling past New Orleans durring Marde Gras. I could not find a hotel for within a hundred miles. I was heading to the Keys so kept driving. What goes on there? Is it worth fighting the crowds?
Mardi Gras in New Orleans is hard to describe. If you've never been there, you won't understand. If you have been there, you still won't understand (possibly from being too hung over to remember much)! It's two solid weeks of a city-wide block party. Parades somewhere in the city nearly every day, and several in one day on the weekends. And New Orleans parades are audience-participation events; you don't just watch. The riders on the parade floats toss souvenirs to the crowd, and for the most desirable "throws" there's a mad scramble akin to a rugby match to take possession. But hardly anyone leaves a parade completely empty-handed unless they just stand around with their hands in their pockets the whole time.

The best way for an Airstreamer to see Mardi Gras is to be a member of WBCCI and reserve a spot at the WBCCI Mardi Gras Rally. They have fifty campsites at the New Orleans Lakefront Arena, and it's sold out every year, usually well in advance. But there's a Good Sam rally right next to the WBCCI rally— bigger and more expensive, but you might be able to get a reservation for that one if you're too late to get a spot at the WBCCI rally or if you don't care to belong to WBCCI. At either rally, they provide transportation to a few of the many parades, where you can watch from reserved seating instead of playing rugby with the crowd at curbside, and have other scheduled rally events as well.

Mardi Gras can be family-friendly as well, if you stick to the suburbs and outlying communities, but in New Orleans proper, it's anything BUT proper! Everyone should come to Mardi Gras in New Orleans at least once. People who really like it sometimes even forget to go home afterward, and end up moving here. When I was younger, I used to moonlight at a bar in the French Quarter, and half the people I knew in the quarter told me, "Yeah, I came for Mardi Gras ___ years ago, and somehow just never left!"
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 08-08-2014, 10:03 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
Is it true what they say about earning beads Protag? If so I have to get out more. The rock I live under has padded walls and my pajamas tie my hands to my back.
Old 08-08-2014, 10:42 AM   #9

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by streaminwild View Post
Is it true what they say about earning beads Protag?
Depends on whether you're what they call a "bead slut."

After my first Mardi Gras I didn't bother much with beads. They take up a lot of space when you're not wearing them, and only the very best have any kind of pendant or markings identifying which parade they came from. Beads are generic, but yes, some people will flash far too much skin in order to get them.

My preferred throw was the cups, because I could use them (after giving them a good wash). But some folk like the doubloons instead. I used to have a couple of co-workers who were in a competition to see who could attend the most parades in any given year, and doubloons were their way of keeping score. In order for the parade to count, they had to catch a doubloon from that parade. One year, one of these two slightly demented gentlemen managed to rack up an impressive 54 different doubloons by virtue of careful planning, such as catching the beginning of a Metairie parade, the middle of a St. Charles Avenue parade, and the tail end of a Westbank parade all in the same evening, every single day for the entire Mardi Gras season. He easily beat out his competitor, who only accumulated 47 different doubloons. I failed to see the point, because they both spent more time driving across town than actually watching the parades, but they enjoyed the competition.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 08-08-2014, 11:30 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Hampton , Virginia
Surprised no one mentioned Fantasy Fest. The one I know of is in Key West. And it IS NOT family friendly. They block of several blocks downtown and many people get their bodies painted. Most wear only a g-string and shoes. Everything else is painted. Some of the themes that some couples and groups come up with are amazing, I am particularly remembering these 3 young women who went as the 3 blind mice. I'll leave it up to you where their blind glasses were painted! Just that they were very 3 demensional!
Old 08-08-2014, 11:58 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
Theres a lot of hype about Burning Man. For people to breathe dust for a week something good must be going on. The event gets larger every year. My dad went to Albuqurerque's balloon festival and was very impressed. Good photo ops and family friendly as well.
Old 08-08-2014, 12:01 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
This is our 14th year at the week long Washington State International Kite Festival in Long Beach Washington. No camping at the site, but many RV parks close by. Kite fliers and kite makers from all over the world come to keep the sky filled with color for the entire week with their beautiful creations, some as large as a house with many shapes such as teddy bears, cats, fish, dragons and many more. Controllable Sport Kite fliers in groups from two to as many as care to join in, fly patterns, painting the sky with moving color. That's what we come here to do.
Also, Long Beach is a nice little town with several good places to eat, located on the Long Beach Peninsula just across the mouth of the Columbia River from historic Astoria Oregon.
RV reservations highly recommended as repeat attendance is high.

Some of you might want to give this one a try.

Cheers, Jim

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
http://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6y1_U2XQ0bI
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 12:30 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
Jim this is obviouly a ''must see'' event for you to attend 14 yrs. Another festival I never heard of but worth traveling to. What time of year does this take place? Kites the size of a house...now thats impressive.
Old 08-08-2014, 01:28 PM   #14

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Sparks , Nevada
Burning man is in Nevada, not Ca.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums