Old 02-27-2010, 08:59 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
Walnut Cove , North Carolina
Mud/muck boots

I am always amazed at the great advice you can find here on the forum. I have a special request and not sure where to put this but here goes: I am going to Haiti in April-yep, lot of mud and muck. I need suggestions for a good boot that will give me support, can be washed off with a hose, won't make my feet sweat-its going to be very hot and also will fit well enough it won't pull off if I get in over my ankles-highly likely. i also think a mid calf would work well-something that I can tuck my jeans into. I wear a woman's 71/2-8. Oh, light weight would be great too because I am trying to cram as much in a small bag so I can carry supplies with me. Thanks, Dannie

Old 02-27-2010, 09:15 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Mississauga , Ontario
I would suggest something with a gore tex lining. I wear leather safety boots all day long for work. They are high end(expensive) leather,steel toed,steel plate in the sole, safety boots with a gore tex lining. I have never had wet feet while working in muddy job sites or in the snow in winter. They are now three years old.
Also my feet don't overheat in them. The beauty of this type of footwear is that it breathes.
A rubber type boot can't do that.
Al

Old 02-27-2010, 09:25 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Pittsford , Michigan
I never thought the 30 plus years of training dogs would be useful on the Airforums. Life is good. Take a look at Muck Boots from "The Original Muck Boot Company". I like these because the uppers are stretch fit and breathable. I have used the "Edgewater", they come in a 12" or 15" and the "Wetland" in a 16". I have worn out two pairs of Edgewaters and I'm working on a pair of Wetlands right now. Of the two I prefer the Wetlands. The soles are a little thicker and the extra inch helps too. I think they are rated from 70 to -20. You can find them at Tractor Supply Stores around here. If you can't find them local. Try an Outdoor Store on-line. Cabela's or Mack's Prairie Wings www.mackspw.com
Good luck in Haiti, Bill
"part of the "Forbidden Wheels Clubhouse Recon Team"

"Toast is a tool. It ain't Breakfast!"
Airdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 10:29 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
If you're going there to work, I recommend that whatever you get have steel toes and sole plate. Are there any work wear supply stores near you that would have a selection of appropriate boots? I have a pair of rubber boots that are rated for construction that I use on my project sites. Perhaps something like that will work for you.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 11:09 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
The plain LaCrosse green slip on boots are what I have worn for 30+ years. They give good support, and the ankle is snug so they fit great. I used to do a lot of bird hunting and you can walk in them all day with no problem. Get the plain uninsulated ones. Your trade off is they are rubber boots and your feet will sweat, but IMHO they are the most comfortable and not expensive.
Old 02-27-2010, 11:19 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
L&L Bean duck boots, AKA bean boots. Rubber composite sole and upper. Leather ankles and leg. Not too good for sweaty feet, but great for muck and easy to hose off. Comfortable enough for hiking.
Old 02-27-2010, 11:28 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
The type of boots you're looking for have various names like irrigation boots in the west and miner's boots where there are mines. The cheapest ones are made of rubber and don't breathe well. You'll get some strange looks from TSA if you wear them to the airport, but that would be the best way to transport them, on your feet. Given the climate in Haiti (or anywhere when you start sweating in them) it's worth it to buy the best breathable ones you can.

Gene
Old 02-27-2010, 12:46 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdog View Post
Take a look at Muck Boots from "The Original Muck Boot Company".
I agree wholeheartedly with Bill. My slip on Mucks - which are the CHORE model - seem to conform to my body temperature. I've worn them with wool socks, tennis socks and even walked the dogs this winter with no socks. There don't seem to be any seams or areas which would rub against you after hours of work, the material is stretchy and pliable making them easy to work in, my feet don't slide around a lot inside, and heck... they look good. Understated and simple. I've had them about three months, and they're easily some of my favorite footwear.
Old 02-27-2010, 01:29 PM   #9
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by danalee View Post
...I am going to Haiti in April-yep, lot of mud and muck. I need suggestions for a good boot that will give me support, can be washed off with a hose, won't make my feet sweat-its going to be very hot...
hi d'

what leads u to believe there will be mud and muck?

and what exactly are u planning to DO there?

i'm an old medical missionary worker who spend most of that time in haiti.

yes it's hot and humid but there isn't much mud. it's a rocky place that once had trees...

but it has been largely DEforested to make charcoal for cooking...

it's not a jungle environment.

so, i would NOT take a water proof mucker...

these WILL be wetter inside than out.

and UNstable in the rocky/rough uneven footing.

also wouldn't take a high tech goretex like water proof boot.

while these are great in cold/wet/damp climates, they will be HARD to keep dry or GET dry inside...

and will get cut/nicked up quickly and let in water anyway.

imo the ideal thing is a BREATHABLE upper that can and will dry OUT over night.

something like the merrell moab/ventilator mid ankle boot...

or one of the keen models that is similar.

then take 2 pairs and a pair of EXTRA insoles for each.

and 4-5 pairs of soft/thin WOOL socks (like smartwool)...

these boots will work FINE in the urban rubble OR anyplace else on the islands except IN the coastal water/beaches...

for that i'd take some other keen and keep the wool socks nearby.

IF you prefer FULL leather a ONE LAYER UNinsulated and UNlined boot from redwing with a leather upper is a good choice.

IF u haven't already done the full routine of shots get going on those...

really for the hep B vaccine more time is needed.

do NOT go without the full compliment of cdc/usphs shots now recommended.

really GET THEM ALL.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 02:02 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I have read there is a lot of mud and muck after the earthquake and it is compounded by human waste which no one has good answers for. There seems to be a lot of concrete construction which has crumbled and may add to the muck aggravated with the oncoming rainy season. Sounds like a uniquely awful mess.

Dannie, what do the people in Haiti tell you works best?

Gene
Old 02-27-2010, 02:53 PM   #11
_

. , .
quickly scanning a few news wires doesn't make one versed on haiti...

1. haiti isn't ONE place it's a country...

anymore than san fran' is ALL of cali'...

2. the URBAN earthquake damage is largely in and around port au prince...

3. which is a city/urban center surrounded by slums, shanty towns and so on...

4. these are NOT tent cities as described in many news reports...

5. they are the same sort of zones that surround other 3rd world urban centers,

and are built from building scraps, tin, old tarps and canvas and discarded trash.

6. these zones have been THERE for 30+ years and growing yearly.

YES there will be mudslides when the rains begin.

there have ALWAYS been mudslides when the rains hit in those URBAN outskirts.

the earth quake rubble may make this a BIT worse, MAYBE.

and the pooling of water, feces and animal waste around the earthquake debris isn't typical 'muck'...

this stuff is also not a place to walk in ANY sort of foot ware.

but the fact is the exact same cycle of slides and urban MUCK

has happened yearly for decades in the hillsides and rubble of this old city.

and the LACK of proper infrastructure for run off has ALWAYS been an issue.

the difference THIS YEAR is news coverage of the happenings...

NONE of this is new stuff, but it has been newly DISCOVERED by our media, now...

so it will appear as if this is ALL happening as something new, it isn't.

if fact it may NOT be as bad as many previous years, largely depending on the weather.

and only trained disaster mgmt folks should be going ANYWHERE near the urban rubble, or near the hill sides in the next few months.

no one (with a brain) actually goes OUT into the mudslides as they are happening.

we've got NO clues about what part of 'haiti' is on this trip...

there are relief and support and ongoing missions ALL OVER the western half of hispaniola and their gulf/port islands...

so the selection/style of foot ware largely depends on WHAT is being done and WHERE it's being done.

muckers would STILL not be on my list of gear to any of those areas.

this is like going to cancun or cozumel or mexico city...

only a LOT filthier and smellier and a LOT more confusing.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 06:10 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hey Danalee,

I have no boot advice for you, (would suggest Bogs but they are not a hot weather boot) but do want to wish you well and tell you to be careful over there.

It is a good thing you are doing.

Maggie

Maggie
Old 02-27-2010, 07:32 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
Walnut Cove , North Carolina
Well thanks for the advice. I will be based out of Jacmel. Details and plans are still forthcoming but I will be working through Global Volunteer Network. I will be in the first rotation of volunteers so my role will be one of planning for a sustainable volunteer program and targeting needs not being met by other programs. We will be partnering with a team from Jamica.That being said, I'll know more when I actually get in country. I am hoping my burn/trauma and administrative experience during my working years will be of some use. On the other side of my brain I have worked with adult developmentally disabled and in our community college system teaching art. I have been a Habitat volunteer and served for three years as the Visual Arts chair for the local arts council. I can give injections,swing a hammer or a paint brush. LOL I am willing to give my best where ever they see fit to use my varied experience. The forum members may get a kick out of the way I tried to present my self as able to keep up with the "youngsters" by describing how I towed our 28' AS 1,600 miles and my ability to set up and break down camp. I guess it worked. I have had all immunizations but one and that is scheduled and one of the benefits of being ahem "senior" is that I have actually had measeles, mumps, rubella and chicken pox.Being the oldest child I brought all of the above home to my siblings the first two years I went to school. I was also in one of the first groups of kids to receive a polio vaccine, marched all the way from the local parochial school to the public school to be rudely stuck in the arm without the benefit of my mommy to hold my hand. Later had my titers checked so hopefully I am good to go. Will start malaria treatment in three more weeks. I'm taking other preventive and treatments for various ills with me. I know what American Airlines will allow as far as baggage but I will still be the one to tote it all over creation so I am trying to be conservative and will use those bags that you suck all the air out of to pack. If anyone else has had mission experiences they would like to share, I am sure I can benefit from any advice. Please feel free to pm me.
Old 02-27-2010, 07:58 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
forget the boot idea!

I have worked and lived in the tropics all my life...including Haiti. Forget the boot idea. Go with sandals or flip flops. Thats what the locals will be wearing..for the most part. Be sure to have you personal first aid kit...including eye and ear antibiotics. Your own personal can of spray Lysol makes many unsavory living conditions tolerable. Help the people, forget the "Missionary" crap....respect their culture.