Old 06-25-2010, 10:59 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Gilbert , Arizona
Move from Class C To Airstream, Advice appreciated

Hello all, I am new to the forums and was not sure if this was the appropriate area to post this so any advice or thoughts greatly appreciated.

My wife and my 2 children currently RV In a 2002 Class C Tioga 26Q RV which we like very much. However, my wife and I love the Airstreams. I currently am looking at a 2010 Airstream International 27FB.

My questions is are there any other former Class C RV'ers who have made the move to an Airstream and either regret the move or have not looked back and love their new tow vehicle / Airstream combo. Right now I have a Honda CRV that we tow behind our motorhome and while the interior of our Fleetwood is not perfect and I have issues with the overall quality, it's easy to drive, park and maintain. I've heard that parking trailers can be fairly tricky and have thus far traveled with my wife, 12 yr old and 8 yr old inside the motorhome with drinks, food and other things readily available to make the journey very easy.

I have a feeling that we will Love our Airstream, but its quite the investment to make only to realize that shifting to tow vehicle (Ford F250) and Airstream may have been a mistake.

I'm certain there are others who have gone through the same thought process and would very much appreciate if you'd share your experience. Thanks in advance !!

Old 06-26-2010, 01:02 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Our reasons for buying an Airstream trailer.

Hi, my wife and I were looking at class C motorhomes before we bought our trailer. We wanted the smallest class C motorhome with a rear queen island bed. The last one that we looked at was a Fleetwood 26-Q. Then we decided to buy an Airstream trailer instead.

Reasons for changing to trailer versus motorhome:

(1.) Vehicle had to fit in our driveway and fit under the eaves on our house.

(2.) If you tow a dingy, it is the same as towing a trailer, speed limit wise. And connecting a dingy is about the same work as hitching up a trailer.

(3.) When you unhook your trailer, in most cases, you have a larger, more comfortable vehicle to drive around in.

(4.) Fuel mileage is usually better while towing a trailer versus a motorhome.

(5.) We were not retired yet and a motorhome would spend a lot of time sitting in our driveway; With a trailer and tow vehicle, we can use half of our investment daily. [trailer sits, tow vehicle goes]

(6.) Although there aren't very many places that work on Airstreams, [trailers don't have engines and transmissions] it is much easier to find shops that work on tow vehicles than motorhomes.

(7.) Airstream trailers handle so much better in the wind than tall, square shaped, RVs whether it is a trailer or motorhome.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 09:02 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, my wife and I were looking at class C motorhomes before we bought our trailer. We wanted the smallest class C motorhome with a rear queen island bed. The last one that we looked at was a Fleetwood 26-Q. Then we decided to buy an Airstream trailer instead.

Reasons for changing to trailer versus motorhome:

(1.) Vehicle had to fit in our driveway and fit under the eaves on our house.

(2.) If you tow a dingy, it is the same as towing a trailer, speed limit wise. And connecting a dingy is about the same work as hitching up a trailer.

(3.) When you unhook your trailer, in most cases, you have a larger, more comfortable vehicle to drive around in.

(4.) Fuel mileage is usually better while towing a trailer versus a motorhome.

(5.) We were not retired yet and a motorhome would spend a lot of time sitting in our driveway; With a trailer and tow vehicle, we can use half of our investment daily. [trailer sits, tow vehicle goes]

(6.) Although there aren't very many places that work on Airstreams, [trailers don't have engines and transmissions] it is much easier to find shops that work on tow vehicles than motorhomes.

(7.) Airstream trailers handle so much better in the wind than tall, square shaped, RVs whether it is a trailer or motorhome.
Us too, basically for many of the same reasons.
Old 06-29-2010, 10:53 PM   #4

Currently Looking...
Gilbert , Arizona
Thanks so much for the reply's. Very much appreciated !
Old 06-29-2010, 11:29 PM   #5
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelrog View Post
Right now I have a Honda CRV that we tow behind our motorhome and while the interior of our Fleetwood is not perfect and I have issues with the overall quality, it's easy to drive, park and maintain. I've heard that parking trailers can be fairly tricky [...]
I think it's wise to realize that parking trailers is a potential problem area.

With practice, most people can learn to park trailers. It does however take a good deal of practice, and frustration can mount when parking a large trailer in tight quarters under stressful conditions, end of a long trip, wife and kids standing there with hands on hips, that kind of thing.

It helps to practice with other, less valuable trailers first. You can go and rent a Uhaul trailer for half a day for I think $15, hitch it to your car, practice in a parking lot somewhere, then take it to the closest state park and back it in a couple of a campsites and drive away. They'll think you're nuts but that's the best way to gauge what you're going to be dealing with.

Ultimately you have to do it a lot, every weekend for a year or something, to really get it and start lining everything up on the first try.

Some people never get it and end up switching to motorhomes as a result, so it's $15 well spent.

On the other hand I can get my trailer into places that you couldn't get a 30' motorhome, and routinely park in places with only a few inches of door clearance.

Quote:
and have thus far traveled with my wife, 12 yr old and 8 yr old inside the motorhome with drinks, food and other things readily available to make the journey very easy.

I have a feeling that we will Love our Airstream, but its quite the investment to make only to realize that shifting to tow vehicle (Ford F250) and Airstream may have been a mistake.
Think carefully about your tow vehicle. You will want, at a minimum, a crew cab, for kids of those ages, and you might want to consider a Suburban so you can be prepared for those occasions when they have friends coming along.

You can have a cooler or even a small fridge in your tow vehicle if that's what it takes to keep your world going around. On the other hand, I am not afraid to stop at a historical marker or church or grocery store parking lot for half an hour to feed the kids when necessary.

Quote:
I'm certain there are others who have gone through the same thought process and would very much appreciate if you'd share your experience. Thanks in advance !!
To me the fit and finish of the interior, the visual design inside and out, the effective use of space, and the independence of the tow vehicle with its attendant mechanical foibles were all primary concerns. The overall sense of values in the tradeoff between MH+toad and TT+TV, and the longevity of the roof, were important but secondary.
Old 07-03-2010, 04:05 PM   #6

Currently Looking...
Gilbert , Arizona
Jammer, that's all great advice. I like the idea of renting and practicing. It makes me feel better that you're able to get a 30' into all sorts of spots, I think a 27 should be manageable.

On the tow vehicle, you're absolutely right. We're shooting for a new F250 Crew Cab with a nice interior. That should make the rides comfortable for us, and I'll bet a cooler inside will do us just fine.

Same for me on the interior and finish. We love the modern look of the Airstreams. Also, I've been on Roof Leak patrol for as long as I've owned my motorhome. Will be nice to have a solid roof for once above our heads. Thanks for posting your thoughts, much appreciated.
Old 07-03-2010, 04:51 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1985 25' Sovereign
Venice/Nokomis , Florida
Gelrog,

I traded over from a 28' 1983 Travelcraft powered by a 350 cu. in. V8 to a 25' 1985 Airstream Sovereign and I'm not looking back. The best thing we did! I tow with a 2005 Suburban Z71 tow pkge etc., same engine just newer. We loved the floor plan in the Class C and duplicated it in the Sovereign. The AS seems more spacious because the area where the driver and passenger seats were, is now the couch. We have more flexibility with the AS as a trailer vs MH. Not that the MH was all that bad in and out of places. As for trailering the AS, slow as you go and you will be fine.

We bought our AS in September 2009, a week later drove it 1400 miles to FL, it was OK, loving it ever since.

Airdreamers

WBCCI #8880
AIR #41310
airdreamers is offline   Reply With Quote