Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2012, 08:20 AM   #21
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
For all the talk about heavy Airstreams and gas mileage, we don't see much about the lighter trailers that were designed for a specific market segment—the Sport trailers. There are only a 16' and a 22' now. I wonder how much they are selling? The differences between the Sport 16' and the International 16' are big and when people say Bambi, we don't know which they are talking about.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:48 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2000 30' Excella
1999 30' Excella 1000
Low Country , South Carolina
Hmmm
I think it is personal preference
We have had a 29', 30' and now a 28'...I love my 28'
Old 04-03-2012, 10:52 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
For all the talk about heavy Airstreams and gas mileage, we don't see much about the lighter trailers that were designed for a specific market segment—the Sport trailers. There are only a 16' and a 22' now. I wonder how much they are selling? The differences between the Sport 16' and the International 16' are big and when people say Bambi, we don't know which they are talking about.
The Sport 16' and the International 16' are a lot closer than they used to be; they're now on the same width body. Differences now are that the Sport lacks a rear pano window and uses aluminium tambour cabinet doors. I would never have bought a 17' Sport but the Sport 16' is a more desirable trailer.

I think the Sport got off to a bad start. To me, the early 22' and 17' Sports lacked the design flair of the rest of the product line - fuzzy walls, no pano front windows. Just because you want something small doesn't mean you want something "plain Jane."

I also don't see a lot of people with smaller tow vehicles picking these trailers (a Wrangler and Ridgeline are the exception.) Most of their owners here seem to tow with pickups anyway. I don't think Airstream is doing a good job at targeting smaller tow vehicle owners. (The vehicles are smaller, not the owners.)

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 12:39 PM   #24
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Tom, I looked up the specs on the 16' Sport and the 16' International. Maybe the specs are put of date; that wouldn't be the first time that happened. The difference was 800 lbs.

Gene
Old 04-03-2012, 01:12 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Tom, I looked up the specs on the 16' Sport and the 16' International. Maybe the specs are put of date; that wouldn't be the first time that happened. The difference was 800 lbs.

Gene
Gene,
The base weight of the units is less than 400 lbs apart, it is the GVWR that is 800 lbs higher with the 16 International series. I believe this is due to a different axel a tires. There are many differences beyond these that differentiate the two models. If anyone is interested you'd better act soon as the International will be discontinued in the 16' size for 2013. I believe that the 19 International will be discontinued (all of the Bambi's in the International range???) too.
We got one of the six Serenity 16's produced in 2012.
Bruce
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 02:40 PM   #26
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Well, obviously Bambi's in the International version are not selling well.

The trend in RV's is gigantic is best, so I suppose that goes for Airstreams too. Maybe the 34's with slides will return.

Gene
Old 04-03-2012, 04:04 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
London , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich of SCal View Post
If salesmen are to be believed, 2 I talked to said the 16 I bought was the hottest seller and they couldn't keep them on the lot.
Let me guess...first time buyers...
Set-up by Can-Am RV
Garfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 04:26 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfield View Post
Let me guess...first time buyers...
Not all of us want large trailers. We really wanted the 16' International and understand the trade off's. My wife and I are just not the "Supersize" type....
Bruce
Old 04-03-2012, 04:36 PM   #29
Colonial Airstream NJ
Airstream Dealer

1961 16' Bambi
1997 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Millstone Township , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by danlehosky View Post
This may be off topic but I can't find it anywhere. Lets say since 1980, what has been the most popular length for a trailer.
I am saying the 25' and he is saying the 19'. We have a bottle Crown Royal riding on this (which I intend to enjoy)
Out of the two, the 25' is the most popular. The 19' was not available until 1998, when the Bambi was re-released. The 25' has been made consistently throughout the years. The 30/31’ is a close contender to the 25’.
Colonial Airstream - Evolution of the Airstream Bambi Travel Trailer 1998- 2012. Airstream Bambi For Sale
Old 04-03-2012, 04:56 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
Well I guess that settles it. Think I'll go pick up my winnings.
Dan
Old 04-03-2012, 05:09 PM   #31
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post
Not all of us want large trailers. We really wanted the 16' International and understand the trade off's. My wife and I are just not the "Supersize" type....
Bruce
As with everyone else, one tries to fit together wants and needs. The advantage of a larger trailer, though, is not "supersize", but would be better understood that for longer trips and especially with days of bad weather or that someone is ill that -- in fact -- there is no disadvantage to a somewhat larger trailer than a 16'. One is not constricted by TV choice, for example. The single advantage of the smallest trailer is in parking it for storage. That the disadvantages outweigh the advantages below a certain size is easier lay out on a spreadsheet.

Below a certain a size are disadvantages, as said. And above a certain size are not many advantages except to a small group. Capacities are what is at stake, not floorplan.

So long as one is not seduced by the idea of virtue, trailer size choices are -- not surprisingly -- clustered around 25'. All the advantages, and almost none of the disadvantages, of size, weight, capacity, etc. No extra transportation burden: the small ones must be re-stocked constantly, and the big ones need a larger TV. The "economy" of the middle of the range really is no mistake, thus the "popularity" (going back decades).

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 05:44 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Quote:
If anyone is interested you'd better act soon as the International will be discontinued in the 16' size for 2013. I believe that the 19 International will be discontinued (all of the Bambi's in the International range???) too.
We got one of the six Serenity 16's produced in 2012.
I'm surprised by that news of them discontinuing those models. There are several recent 16' International owners in the forums. But then again, you'd think a big majority of recent owners would be members here....

Again, it seems like Airstream is moving from the small-but-nice market.

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 05:53 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX View Post
As with everyone else, one tries to fit together wants and needs. The advantage of a larger trailer, though, is not "supersize", but would be better understood that for longer trips and especially with days of bad weather or that someone is ill that -- in fact -- there is no disadvantage to a somewhat larger trailer than a 16'. One is not constricted by TV choice, for example. The single advantage of the smallest trailer is in parking it for storage. That the disadvantages outweigh the advantages below a certain size is easier lay out on a spreadsheet.

Below a certain a size are disadvantages, as said. And above a certain size are not many advantages except to a small group. Capacities are what is at stake, not floorplan.

So long as one is not seduced by the idea of virtue, trailer size choices are -- not surprisingly -- clustered around 25'. All the advantages, and almost none of the disadvantages, of size, weight, capacity, etc. No extra transportation burden: the small ones must be re-stocked constantly, and the big ones need a larger TV. The "economy" of the middle of the range really is no mistake, thus the "popularity" (going back decades).

I am glad that you have a love of your Airstream and its size. . I suspect based on your answer that any reasons I have for a small trailer are just not going to be well received so I'll save them for another time. Who am I to argue with a spreadsheet?!!!
Bruce
Old 04-03-2012, 06:04 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutcth View Post
I'm surprised by that news of them discontinuing those models. There are several recent 16' International owners in the forums. But then again, you'd think a big majority of recent owners would be members here....

Again, it seems like Airstream is moving from the small-but-nice market.

Tom
I think that what probably happens is that people see the price and balk. The International price jumps up pretty substantially from the base Sport. The masses don’t see the value…
Bruce
Old 04-03-2012, 06:29 PM   #35
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
I am glad that you have a love of your Airstream and its size. . I suspect based on your answer that any reasons I have for a small trailer are just not going to be well received so I'll save them for another time. Who am I to argue with a spreadsheet?!!!
Bruce
I suspect you misunderstood me. Why any of us "like" a particular trailer is weighed by the trade-offs we're willing to make. But some trailers -- simply in size alone -- have the fewest trade-offs. Size is not, itself, a virtue (would be the point), but the mid-point of available sizes is not accidental.

How "well received" is another matter entirely as it is personal. The thread is on "most popular size" which implies, well, why? Not why any of us chose the trailer we have at present.

If it helps, "supersize" more nearly describes anything above 28' (in the roughest sense) even though a family of six might make more efficient use of it than any couple could with a 19'. For anything up to that point the word wouldn't work (why the use of a spreadsheet, conceptually, makes more of this clear).

Largest and smallest come with penalties. And they are expensive in comparison to the mid-range. Personal choice is not at issue in that.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 06:55 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX View Post
I suspect you misunderstood me. Why any of us "like" a particular trailer is weighed by the trade-offs we're willing to make. But some trailers -- simply in size alone -- have the fewest trade-offs. Size is not, itself, a virtue (would be the point), but the mid-point of available sizes is not accidental.

How "well received" is another matter entirely as it is personal. The thread is on "most popular size" which implies, well, why? Not why any of us chose the trailer we have at present.

If it helps, "supersize" more nearly describes anything above 28' (in the roughest sense) even though a family of six might make more efficient use of it than any couple could with a 19'. For anything up to that point the word wouldn't work (why the use of a spreadsheet, conceptually, makes more of this clear).

Largest and smallest come with penalties. And they are expensive in comparison to the mid-range. Personal choice is not at issue in that.

OK, I am a little confused here! Nothing new for me.....
I still like our trailer!
Bruce
Old 04-03-2012, 06:56 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
Rednax, are you saying that size IS or ISN'T important?!

Blog: 300 Miles or 3:00
zlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:22 PM   #38
4 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
San Bernardino , California
I purposly chose the Sport 16 due to weight. It is the only late model Airstream that my Jeep can tow (legally and by specs). But what difference does it make which is the mosy popular size? Unless your goal is to look like the plurality of Streamers. Again...why?
Rich of SCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 12:19 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich of SCal View Post
I purposly chose the Sport 16 due to weight. It is the only late model Airstream that my Jeep can tow (legally and by specs). But what difference does it make which is the mosy popular size? Unless your goal is to look like the plurality of Streamers. Again...why?
Just curiosity I guess. Didn't mean to open up a whole defensive can of worms. I was interested statistically.
Dan
Old 04-04-2012, 07:56 AM   #40
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Size matters. It matters differently to different people. What is "virtuous" differs by person, usually emphasized when they become emotionally involved in the size.

When we were looking, we tried to look at it as "do we really need this?" Well, we didn't really need a trailer at all, so "how much do we really need in a trailer?" was the question. Living and sleeping and cooking space matter. Bed matters. Bathroom and shower varieties matter. Price matters. Storage matters. Parkability matters. Tow vehicle matters. Claustrophobia may matter. Number of travelers matter. Airstream makes a lot of different models and trim lines (one reason costs are high), so there are a lot of choices.

It seems to me this thread was started to find out a simple answer—what is most popular? Patrick says the 25 is more popular than the 19, though that doesn't tell us whether it is the most popular of all.

If virtue is decided by popular vote either we or our Safari are the most virtuous (does trailer virtue rub off on the owners?). I'd rather have the bottle of booze. The virtuousity thing doesn't count for much.

Sometimes it amazes me how we can make so much out of a simple question (I enjoy it though). We really need to get out more. I went out to the trailer and replaced more of the floor yesterday—not sure that is "getting out".

Gene