Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2019, 05:41 AM   #21
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaddyGrn View Post
What kind of chemicals does the Thermocell give off? Or is it some sort of smell that masks the carbon dioxide that humans give off? Curious about this... we have always used a spray, and often just go inside the minute we see a mosquito! Thanks!
From the Thermacell website:

"This repellent, allethrin, is a synthetic copy of a natural repellent found in chrysanthemum plants."
Old 04-20-2019, 02:01 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Bellaire , Texas
theracell butane cartridge

you can refill your own butane cartridges look on you tube i have refilled many many time never any issues.
Bigeddie58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 10:03 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
We once anchored our boat for the night in the "Little Shark River" in the heart of the Everglades, where the mangroves were 100' high!
As I cooked steaks on the grill I mentioned, "Look there's a mosquito". Within seconds, I was running for my life!
Here's what I learned about mosquitos.
1. Only the females bite, they need blood for the young.
2. They relentlessly follow the scent of CO2.
3. They don't fly very fast so a breeze keeps them away.
4. I'm told that taking large doses of vitamin B-12 helps.
5. Sunset is the worst time.

We had screens on the boat, used skin-so-soft, burned Pic coils (Probably not a good idea) and eventually saw the ones inside trying to get out, then expire and drop off. I laid in my bunk and could hear them outside.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 10:43 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
The Everglades are well infested with “blood sucking helicopters” during most of the year. Pic coils were our main defense, but eventually everything smells like them. Grew up on the lower East Coast of Florida. Know what you experienced..no fun!
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 10:54 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2001 30' Classic S/O
Leander , Texas
We use our portable vacuum to get the buggers that sneak in and paper towel to keep them in.

Sjohn
TexAirS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 11:44 AM   #26
1 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB International
Calgary , Alberta
Thermocell

Thermocell is all we use now. Refills can be purchased on Ebay for cheap - and the butane is refillable. If you want to see mosquito problems, go into the Canadian north. Fishing and hunting guides all carry the personal version of the patio Thermocell. There are plenty of Youtube videos showing how effective it is.
danton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 09:23 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2016 28' International
Trois-Rivieres , Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docbutch View Post
We are brand new to the AS experience and will be planning our first local tri[p for Mother's Day weekend. What do ASers do for mosquitos? Recommendations?
I am planning to replace the “bug fuzz” in the window frames where the window levers come through. It doesn’t take too nany years for the fuzz to mat and stop doing its job of keeping the slots closed to mosquitoes (especially those in the Everglades— but the gators didn’t get in!).

I was planning to see what was on the market but finally I got 15’ of the same material while we were in Jackson Center. The senior technician didn’t have a better suggestion than replacing what was there.
DIY Solar: 500W Renogy panels, AM Solar hdw, Blue Sky MPPT controller, 470ah Rolls battery bank, 2000W Renogy inverter.
Hermes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 09:31 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2016 28' International
Trois-Rivieres , Quebec
Add a light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
To get rid of skeeters that have already come in, close the door, open a screened window, remove the screen from your ceiling exhaust fan, and run the fan at high speed. The skeeters will be sucked out through the exhaust fan because they will fly downwind rather than trying to buck a headwind. Once the bugs are gone, put the screen back in the exhaust fan (after turning it off, of course!).
Great suggestion! And after dark, tape a little LED gooseneck reading light right by the opening and turn off all others light sources. That should surprise a few!
Hermes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 01:27 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Airstream Coach - Other
ancramdale , New York
yes it works,i put it on my hair,arms,legs....a bit oily...but smells ok...prefer it to bug spray...i also use those coils ,while burning they do have the smell of burning leaves..just put a few around while dining outside...
there still are avon ladys here and there...but now you can get skin so soft on line...
la nomade is offline   Reply With Quote