Old 01-01-2017, 05:11 AM   #15
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Gainesville , Florida
Y
Ou have my utmost respect and admiration. So glad someone can do what you do and is willing to help others. Me? I've gotten totally dewinterized here in Fl. 32 degrees is about all I can take. Good luck.

xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 06:52 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fairmont , Minnesota
Thanks everyone for watching and subscribing to YouTube. It is good incentive to do more things. Re: questions.
1. Yes the mirrors are Milenco and I really like them. Very adjustable, durable, and good visibility. They vibrate a bit but are easy to take off when not needed.
2. Condensation: I had heavy frost on the inside of windows under the reflectix but nothing on the walls. I didn't use the cook top or a propane heater so I think that helps.
3. Winterization: Yes it was totally winterized so I didn't use the plumbing at all. I did take several jugs of water for drinking and cleaning. As for my plumbing I either stepped outside (there's no one around) or I used the pit toilet. Even at subzero temps my rear didn't freeze to the seat! I did cheat once and went into town and took a shower at the local fitness center.
4. Heat was no problem. The supplemental electric heater isn't hot enough to burn anything and has a good shut-off switch if tipped over. With the AS's furnace everything was as warm as I wanted it to be. With the subfloor venting I was surprised at how warm the floor was.
5. My spouse: No way, no how. She will wait till spring.
Thanks again
Camp on!

Wesair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 10:05 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesair View Post
I've put together a new video on winter camping that you might be interested in. I took a 4-day trip in Minnesota and had plenty of snow and sub-zero temps. The AS performed admirably and I had a good time.
https://youtu.be/uIh65rBfgkU
Thanks for watching, I hope you enjoy it.
Thanks for the fine video. I sure did enjoy it.

I used to do some winter camping in West Virginia when I went skiing. I would take my camper to the campground in December and pick it up in April. During the week I would stay in the Airstream when I went skiing at Snowshoe. I really enjoyed the challenge. In all fairness I had it pretty easy as I had power and a heated bathroom and shower to use. It took a long time to heat the Airstream up, so I had an electric blanket and a hot oil type heater to help out. My son bought a condo so now I stay there when I go skiing. I do miss the winter camping though.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 10:27 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Plover , Wisconsin
Red face Heaters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesair View Post
Thanks everyone for watching and subscribing to YouTube. It is good incentive to do more things. Re: questions.
2. Condensation: I had heavy frost on the inside of windows under the reflectix but nothing on the walls. I didn't use the cook top or a propane heater so I think that helps.
4. Heat was no problem. The supplemental electric heater isn't hot enough to burn anything and has a good shut-off switch if tipped over. With the AS's furnace everything was as warm as I wanted it to be. With the subfloor venting I was surprised at how warm the floor was.
I don't quite understand, you did not use a propane heater, but you did use the AS's furnace. The AS's furnace is run on propane. So, do you mean that you did not use an auxiliary propane heater?
Oxen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 04:49 AM   #19
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Gainesville , Florida
I think he means a propane heater as opposed to the propane furnace.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 09:02 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fairmont , Minnesota
Clarity rules.
I did use the AS's propane furnace.
I did use an auxiliary electric space heater.
I did not use an auxiliary propane heat like a Little Buddy.
Wesair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 09:11 AM   #21
Huh?

1975 27' Overlander
Twin Cities , Minnesota
Not for me.
Uh uh.
If I did that I wouldn't title the post "More on winter camping".
I would title it "Moron winter camping."
Ultradog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 06:12 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultradog View Post
Not for me.
Uh uh.
If I did that I wouldn't title the post "More on winter camping".
I would title it "Moron winter camping."
Agreed it is 11 degrees with 16" of snow on the ground. I lived in my avion in the winter when working away from home on construction jobs in gravel pits and most of the time without hookups...I never had any problems, was always fairly warm, I like my nice warm house in the winter, life is good...

tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote