Old 02-23-2013, 09:42 PM   #1
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Weaverville , California
Microwave or not

About to purchase/order a flying cloud 25 Fb -and as former backpackers then car campers we are undecided about adding a microwave. Is it easy to add or is better to order it from the factory pre-installed?

JandD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:46 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
Just wondering, how much more is it?

Not all those who wonder are lost.
Silverflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:05 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Welcome to the forum.

Originally Posted by JandD View Post
About to purchase/order a flying cloud 25 Fb -and as former backpackers then car campers we are undecided about adding a microwave. Is it easy to add or is better to order it from the factory pre-installed?
Hi, different model than yours, but mine came with an oven, stove top, and a microwave; I wouldn't have it any other way.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4100.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	227.2 KB
ID:	179676  

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:14 PM   #4
Rivet Master
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We have the other 25' model with rear bed, has range with oven and convection/microwave. On the new 25' FB doesn't the microwave replace the gas oven?

We like having both, but couldn't give up the gas oven because that's usable anywhere, with or without 110v power.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:56 PM   #5
Rivet Master
2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Wife says YES to the factory convection / microwave. The beauty is that it is both conv and micro. It is very expensive to retro-fit the installed microwave if you decide later that you want it... but I believe with the conv/micro option you give up the LPG oven on all the 25FB models. What we did before was simply get a $50 unit at Wally and mounted it on the counter...but we had waaaaaay more counter space in the FC20 than now in the EB25FBLE! Be advised that you may also have to upgrade your generator when out in the boonies...enjoy.
~~~~~~ mefly2 ~~~~~>>>
AIR 44105 /WBCCI - formerly 2015-1; Yamaha XT250
:>) ducts are now in a row w / 2015 ducted air :>)
* 2015 Duramax 2500 Diesel * Honda EU3000iS
<>2015 International LE Eddie Bauer FB25<>
mefly2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:02 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member
2008 16' Safari
Destrehan , Louisiana
Yes to the microwave. Our current trailer has the microwave and it gets used all the time. Our old trailer had the gas oven and we used it very little. The big problem with the microwave is that you need to be plugged in or have a generator to use it. We find that the drove top is enough to get by on if you have no power.
dlb435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:15 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member
2008 27' International FB
1999 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Marietta , Georgia
As former backpackers/ car campers you'll probably want the gas oven since you can use it even when you're not hooked up to power. If you're considering the microwave too ( the one that goes in the pantry cabinet) I'd recommend you order it when you buy. Hard to find a microwave that will fit in that space or fit in the closet 11 inch wide opening. We used to have the microwave/ convection oven and didn't like it ( too low, you had to kneel down or squat to see controls, no oven while boon docking). We went to Jackson Center and had them switch to the gas oven. The switch was expensive but we're much happier. We've been looking for a micro to carry with us too, but unless we want to rotate it sideways, we can't find one that will fit in the closet. Not a big issue for us, as the oven meets 99.5% of our needs.
karenjude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:51 AM   #8
Rivet Master
2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington

Nice to have you on the forum. This is a great place to ask for advice but, you should be ready for all sorts of responses. Many times people have already made up their minds and they just check in for support. As in all things, it is not always and easy decision.

I have a 25 FB and the only option I know about was to choose between the conventional oven and a convection/microwave oven. Since we boondock a lot, the conventional oven is right for us. I have never been a microwave fan but would use one if I had one. The problem with the 25FB is that there is no room to add one without losing the oven. I have heard of folks putting a small portable one on the counter top but that wouldn't work for us.

As most things, it will come down to your individual camping style. If you spend your time in parks with hookups, the microwave would be the way to go. If you are out at the lake or up in the woods the conventional oven might make more sense. There is no right or wrong here, it is simply up to you.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:55 AM   #9
Rivet Master
2007 30' Classic
Albuquerque , New Mexico
We use our microwave more than any other appliance in our Airstream besides the refrigerator, but only when hook-ups are available of course.
That said, I would not sacrifice the propane-gas oven.
(Even though we used our propane-gas oven for a bread, chips, and crackers box when we had one)
In our two Vintage Airstreams, I added a microwave, Each one came from Walmart and was mounted into the Airstream with brackets of my own design.
The 2000 Safari came with microwave, propane stove and oven from the factory.
The 2007 came with a propane cook-top and built-in microwave-convection oven.
We prepare meals at home for up to ten days, freeze them as meals for two, and then defrost and heat them in the microwave.
If we are boondocking, we defrost and heat on the propane cook-top.
We also have a Camp Chef propane oven and two-burner cook-top for outdoor cooking.
We also have a gas grill.
Hope this helps.
P.S. We never eat out, so food preparation is an important consideration in our Airstream lifestyle
Ken L
2007 Classic Limited 30 (Sold)
2007Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax/Allison
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #8654, Affiliate NM Unit
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:03 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Our convection/microwave serves 100% of our needs. Sure glad our unit came with it. In the olden days those LPG ovens we had never baked a cake or broiled to our liking. This one does it all. I feel sorry for those who don't know how use them.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:02 AM   #11

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

First off, welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

As to the microwave dilemma, it basically boils down to your camping style and your cooking habits. We have both a gas oven/stove top that was already there when we bought our dear Lucy. We added our own microwave.

We have camped over 1,200 nights in Lucy over the past 7 years. I would estimate that we have used the gas oven about 4 or 5 times, and the stove top burners maybe twice. Lucy's oven serves as a storage area for the pots and pans that we never use.

Our microwave is Lucy's primary cooking tool. We could easily go without the gas stove/oven. Keep in mind that this is our style. We live pretty much the same way at home. We have two separate microwaves in our kitchen at home so that we can eat together.

SuEllyn & Brian McCabe
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2011 Silverado 3500 (Fred) with Outfitter Truck Camper (Ethel)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:05 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Eureka , California
We have a 25B flying cloud that came with a microwave, cook top and gas oven and I love having all of those options. But just like at home, I only use the microwave for heating up leftovers, soups, etc and to make baked potatoes. I use the gas oven infrequently too but it is one thing that was on my "must-have" list when we were shopping for an airstream.

If you cook in a microwave at home, I think you will find it handy to have.

and away we go.......
pidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:57 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
As others have said, it's down to your camping needs. If you're going to boondock a lot then the gas oven is probably your best bet. We don't boondock so chose the convection microwave for our 28' International. It's a bit complicated to use, at first anyway, but it works for us.
Steve; also known as Mr UK Toad

"You can't tow that with that!"
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:52 AM   #14
2009 20' Flying Cloud
Scotts Valley , California
We have a small 20'ft fb belying cloud and do not miss a microwave as said before we do not cook with one at home. We do use the oven and stove all the time. We love our french press and using our dutch oven for comfort food too. We go to Yosemite alot and there are no hook ups so no microwave there. I know alot of our smaller state parks also have no hook ups or very few. These parks are beautiful so, again it is about your cooking style. Oh has any one read the "caravan cookbook" by Monica Rivron? She is from the UK and a chef. Beautiful pics of an airstream and great on the road recipes! Great travels

Flying Nana is offline   Reply With Quote