Old 03-08-2013, 12:18 PM   #29
Airstreamer NW

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fall City , Washington
Invertor power microwave?

No. The microwave works on shore power only.
Lou

Old 03-09-2013, 12:13 AM   #30
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
An inverter could power a Microwave if it is big enough and your batteries can take the hit. Probably would want the engine running when using an inverter to power a microwave. You would need a substantial inverter to do this 700W plus I would think.

Old 03-09-2013, 12:35 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
I am considering a convection Microwave as well.
Old 03-09-2013, 05:47 AM   #32
4 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
saline , Michigan
I installed a small MW just like Redhound did. I took out he combination convection/mw located below the stovetop because we both got tired of getting on hands and knees to use it. It also takes quite a bit of practice to use a convection oven successfully. We installed a toaster oven in its place, which is much easier to use and can serve as a toaster as well.
I would gladly sell the convection oven except for someday selling the trailer. I also purchased a new cabinet door and kept the old one uncut for that reason. Never do any mods that you can't undo..
Old 03-10-2013, 12:15 AM   #33
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Since the Microwave would require AC shore power or an inverter (somewhat involved) a simpler and most likely cheaper way to go would be to have a generator on board. Look at Honda and Yamaha generators. $1000-$1500 would get you a 1000W-2000W generator that would just about provide all the AC that you would need excluding the use of an Air Conditioner. They are quiet and RV friendly.
Old 03-10-2013, 01:53 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2012 16' International
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by graysailor View Post
Since the Microwave would require AC shore power or an inverter (somewhat involved) a simpler and most likely cheaper way to go would be to have a generator on board. Look at Honda and Yamaha generators. $1000-$1500 would get you a 1000W-2000W generator that would just about provide all the AC that you would need excluding the use of an Air Conditioner. They are quiet and RV friendly.
Funny what people call quiet. As a confirmed life long motor head, I love all engines, but nothing annoys me as much as a small generator running in the background! It is annoying when Airstreaming it is mind numbing when we hear them running in a quiet anchorage while cruising on a boat.

O.K. rant over, I admit to owning one for use with our Airstream while boon-docking. We used it in Flamingo on this trip for about 2 hours to cool the Bambi down one evening. Ours is a Honda 3kw. The heavy and really quiet one.
It is an awesome generator by the way...

On the subject of a microwave, we obviously do not have one in the 16' International. We don't have one at home either. I removed it to install a nice little convection oven about 15 years ago and never missed it! We do have one on our sailboat that runs on a 2000 watt inverter, it is used to hold paper towels!
Oh well...
Bruce
Old 03-10-2013, 05:24 AM   #35
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Holladay , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by JandD View Post
About to purchase/order a flying cloud 25 Fb -and as former backpackers then car campers we are undecided about adding a microwave. Is it easy to add or is better to order it from the factory pre-installed?
I am also a former backpacker and car camper, and have a 25 FB as well. I have a microwave at home and use it a lot. I also have a television at home and use it a lot as well. I have neither in the AS, don't miss them and wouldn't have them even if they were free. I go camping, fergawdsake, which means no hookups and cooking over an open fire ( where possible). We rarely use our convection oven at home, but use our electric/ propane oven all the time when camping, mostly to bake bread. We cook outdoors mostly, using a charcoal grill and Dutch ovens.

As the others said, you need to decide your style of camping to make this decision. Why are you leaving back packing and going to an AS? I'll bet it is not for a lack of appliances. Me, I got too old to sleep on the ground and wanted a proper toilet/ bidet for my daily constitutional. But I wanted to keep everything else about camping. The AS in an unbelievable luxury for us as we spend most of our time outdoors around a campfire. But I wouldn't give it up for the world because of the lifestyle it affords in the same wilderness I used to hike or drive to. Yer pays yer money and yer takes yer choice.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:16 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
A 1,000 watt generator may not run a microwave or a toaster and certainly not the A/C. At altitude, our 1,000 w. does not out out enough juice to run them. Close to sea level, I don't know, because I've never tried. Dragging out the generator to toast something or zap something doesn't make sense to me when I have a gas cooktop and oven.

I've only used the generator for charging batteries. I believe you need more than 2,000 w. for the A/C.

Gene
Old 03-11-2013, 09:49 AM   #37
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Yes, I believe that you would need 2 generators to run the AC but only 1 would be needed for the microwave.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:25 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Gray', Yamaha makes a generator rated at 2,400 watts and could run the A/C, but that may also depend on the size of the A/C. Also, altitude matters, though the higher you go, the less need for A/C. 2,400 w equals 20 amps and A/C should be about 18 amps, but you need more generator capacity to handle surges and other factors. You can get by with the Yamaha, but it is heavy.

There are some really small microwaves that probably could run on a 1,000 watt generator, but when I was looking them up they did not seem all that good so far as quality goes. We have a medium sized one and it uses about 700 watts and at altitude the generator can't handle it or the toaster.

I believe generator ratings are deceptive as on a sustained basis they put out less wattage than the rating.

Gene