Old 02-24-2013, 05:44 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
I would like to make note here.......a microwave and a convection/ microwave are really two different appliances. The microwave can only do one thing, heat. The convection micro can brown/ broil/ bake or a combination there of.

Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:21 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
Get it. That way you will be set. Interestingly I use a microwave often at home but in my few camping trips so far in an Airstream. I have used the micro to make bacon, heat water and cook a lean cuisine. I have boon docked now and would have been dead in the water without the stove and oven.

Oh, and I have used the oven more than I thought - biscuits, the dutch oven baking when the fire was NOT working and more biscuits.

BTW, I will tell you that when I bought my AS from a dealer but also as second owner, The microwave had been replaced with a unit too large for the coach. It was a browner, micro--do all model. It did NOT say convection on it but needless to say it was too big. I had to have a company custom make or, remake the enclosure like Robert's shown in this thread (same setup). The shocker was that when I was recently looking at the new Airstreams the new model similar to mine had the same unit in it! A Haier .70. I got it at Walmart (ordered). That said, I cannot imagine living with only a microwave.

rodsterinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:20 PM   #17
Rivet Master
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
As other have said, the gas cooktop and oven can be used anywhere. Microwaves are useful, of course, and we use ours when we have 120 v. power. To hook up a generator to heat up something in the zapper is a pain, so we don't use it while bookdocking. We don't use the gas oven much, but wouldn't be without it.

We bought a small zapper (about 700 or 800 watts) at Home Depot on our way home from the dealer when we bought the trailer. It was cheap, maybe $50 (what would Airstream charge?). For a while we used it on the kitchen counter and stored it on the floor while traveling. It took up most of very little counter space. We got a small cabinet and put it on the gaucho below the TV. The zapper just fits and the other shelf has a printer. The top of the cabinet provides a bit more counter space and I put a magazine rack on the side of the cabinet. Works great.

Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:03 PM   #18
Rivet Master
2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
When we got our AS, I bought a microwave that would fit into a cabinet in the kitchen area. We used it 1 time to bake a potatoe in the first 3 years we had the trailer. Took it out and gave it to my niece, and now have more cabinet space for things we really use. Since we do a lot of boondocking we use the oven often. Also plan on using the BBQ.Works for us.
sempi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:50 PM   #19
Len and Jeanne
2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Space is an issue. Our 2005 Bambi didn't come w/ a microwave. The newer models do but they sacrifice storage space to make room for them. We camp a fair bit in places with no hook-ups, and are old enough to remember how people heated food prior to microwaves being invented.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:34 AM   #20

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
Just bought a Cloud 25B just for that reason. The FB does not come with a microwave.
graysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:08 AM   #21
Rivet Master
2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
The convection side of the microwave oven option works as well as a home oven (within its size limitations) bending over included ... but, you need a source of power - either shore power or a suitable generator (2000 watt model has worked for us for the past 9 years and note that modestly sized inverters won't suitably power most microwave ovens... and, larger inverters are quite expensive and drain batteries VERY quickly).

If you will use a generator for other purposes as well, then you are most likely good to go. An important point for consideration is that the LPG stoves / ovens are not externally vented by themselves (as are your furnace / heater and hot water heater) and require you to use the over stove exhaust / cooking fan ... which - for us - also exhausts a great deal of heat to the outside of our AS in our early spring and late fall / winter camping.

If you are sensitive to the by-products of LPG combustion, then focus on the electrically heated or outdoor methods of LPG cooking. It is easy add (but not necessarily fit) a microwave onto the counter or hang one under a counter of your AS after purchase; it is NOT easy to retro-fit into the oven cavity or install a convection microwave after purchase of the AS ... the choice is yours and to each their own. We like the convenience - as some others have said - of preparing a number of day's / week's food in advance and reheating in the convection / microwave ... to minimize actual cooking time while we are away. Rarely does my wife not have fresh muffins, cookies, or rolls ready for me and other campers to eat soon after we are set up.
~~~~~~ mefly2 ~~~~~>>>
AIR 44105 /WBCCI - formerly 2015-1; Yamaha XT250
:>) ducts are now in a row w / 2015 ducted air :>)
* 2015 Duramax 2500 Diesel * Honda EU3000iS
<>2015 International LE Eddie Bauer FB25<>
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:16 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
As you can see from this thread, it's really a lifestyle choice. When I ordered my 28' Intl, I gave this a lot of thought. Ended up ordering the convection/microwave -- which deletes the gas oven. I do have two Honda 2000's that I haul in the summer (one alone will power the Sharp, BTW). After more than a year now, I can say that I use the whole array. If I'm on the road at lunch, I heat soup on the cooktop in a saucepan. If I can do it, I almost always try and cook meat outside on the portable grill. The Sharp convection/microwave works extremely well. It bakes a pan of brownies that will rival what I can do at home. It also does a steak equally well. Would I still like a gas oven? Sure, as it'd give me flexibility to NOT be hooked up and bake. Life is filled with tradeoffs, but for me, I made the right choice.
"SilverLeaf II" 2015 30' Classic
2014 RAM 2500 Laramie 4x4 CC w/6.7L Cummins
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:41 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member
2008 27' Safari FB SE
Burton , Michigan
Send a message via AIM to Larry P
I recently purchased a 2003 19' Bambi and had it retrofited with a convection oven. Cost $450.00. I never use the gas oven at home, but it all depends on personal preference. Enjoy your new Airstream.
Larry P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:13 PM   #24

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
I decided on the Cloud 25 which is the back bed option. I chose this model just to get the microwave. The dealer and I tossed around ideas but a counter top micro just would not work for me and installing one might have been costly and un sightly. Just guessing of course but I think you might find having a micro a necessity. Bear in mind that they do require AC current.
graysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:57 AM   #25

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up We use ours...a lot.

I would order it...even if not used a lot...think re-sale.

AF #1

"Sticks & stones can break your bones...and hail will dent your Airstream"

So when is this..."old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:35 AM   #26
Airstreamer NW
2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fall City , Washington
Microwave or not?

Our lifestyle and habits desired both microwave and range/oven. We travel a lot with our 2010 25 FC and enjoy cooking and entertaining our friends. Our front bedroom FC did not have an option (we were informed) in 2010 so we bought it knowing I would have to install one.
Here are my pictures of several mods I did to make it ours.
Upper cabinet reinforced with alum sq tube across the bottom; a diaphragm to right of micro attached to shell/rib and cabinet.
Replaced curved dinette back cushion with cabinet for large storage such as cereal boxes and a lamp.
We're happy with the result and it has worked for 16,500 mi.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream modification 002.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	201.1 KB
ID:	180360   Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream modification 004.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	215.3 KB
ID:	180361  

Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream modification 005.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	262.8 KB
ID:	180362  
Red Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:54 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Red Hound, those are some clever mods. Especially like the cabinet next to the dinette/lounge. Thanks for sharing!

Now: 2007 Safari SE 23' "Anne" towed by 2011 Dodge Durango "Herman"
Before: Argosy Minuet and T@B, towed by various Honda Odysseys
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:07 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member
2006 25' Safari FB SE
Mercer Island , Washington
Red Hound,

Looks great. Does your inverter power the MW?

btowntincan is offline   Reply With Quote