Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2015, 01:13 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2013 20' Flying Cloud
S , N
Cool Maintaining indoor air quality

I need to be meticulous about indoor air and am already battling a musty odour, but I'm looking for tips on how to maintain the healthiest air inside the trailer year round. So far, I'm trying to ventilate it as much as possible and am running a hepa filter. Wondering about a dehumidifier and other approaches.

Thanks!

Odysseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 07:01 AM   #2
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
What TT do you have? Is it leaking inside?
Is your trailer dry inside? A de-humidifier will help, you will need a place for the removed water to drain.
How about an Ozone generator? They remove airborne contaminants, but are not good for long term or concentrated exposure.
There are chemical "dehumidifires"... But depend update n air circulation..
Age of cushions and cleanliness can affect the "smells". Exposure to UV in sunlight can destroy many contaminants..

Chemical treatment can have lingering odor, too. Take care what you use. I have found "Ozium" does a good job, as they use in commercial aircraft. But do not breathe.. Dose trailer from opposite end from the door and back out as you spray..

Lysol spray is also good to spray into a running air conditioner. But don't over do it. Several small applications will be Better than one big one.

Also,'Lysol' down drains can kill amply of the smells. It doesn't hurt the plumbing either. Make sure waste tanks are empty.. Then fill with Lysol
Solution and allow to soak then dump. There are other steps like driving to slosh the liquid.

Ok, your turn.. A bit more info.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 07:22 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
It somewhat depends on where you live, dry climate of humid climate. It also depends on whether the trailer has water leaking into the interior, especially down between the walls and into the plywood subfloor under the vinyl floor. Very common and a musty odor would be a symptom.

For ventilation we put two vent covers over our Fantastic Fans so we can leave the cover open all the time without rain coming in. To find if water leaks are going into the subfloor, I probe it around the interior perimeter of the trailer during my quarterly inspections with an inexpensive Sonin Moisture Detection Meter. Found and repaired four minor leaks since new before they could mold or cause damage.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 07:45 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Crestview , Florida
Odors

I keep three dap rids in my AS front, bath, and bedroom. Does a good job if no one is in camper. But if its cold and I'm running heater I have a good size dehumidifier that I run on low it works well. I think it's about 25 pint per day model. Keeps windows from fogging up on cold days and nights. But as noted before make sure you don't have any small leaks.Good camping Rand
grizbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 10:51 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
Sacramento , California
Musty smells equals MVOC's - Microbial Volatile Organic Compounds. This is usually the first indicator of hidden mold growth so a good visual inspection is where you start. When doing this in any contained space, some demolition is required. Non-destructive moisture meters and infrared cameras are the tools used to discover damp, wet or cooler temperature areas that often lead to areas of mold growth. Local home inspectors and cleaning and restoration contractors use this type of equipment so finding one to do a discovery inspection in your unit should not be too difficult. You need to start around water supply and domestic plumbing areas where most start. Mold spores are ubiquitous and once an organic food source and moisture are present, mold proliferates. Source removal and correcting the moisture problem is the only way to fix this problem - everything else is a bandage. Good luck.
chasgail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 05:48 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2008 Base Camp
Elizabethtown , Kentucky
We run a dehumidifier all the time (when we are on a trip and when the Basecamp is parked). I am allergic to mold and do not intend to take a chance on having it. Using a hygrometer, I found that in the Basecamp (quite small), even with the air-conditioner running, the humidity was too high. We do much of our travel in the east, and humidity in the air during the summer can be quite high. Result of running a dehumidifier all the time? Our Basecamp still smells brand-new, and we have had it since 2007.
basecamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 11:53 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2021 25' International
Full timer , Virginia
also check for areas that simply cannot be ventilated unless you've taken modifications -- first I would check is square center of the underside of the mattress. its a notorious location, both coil and memory foam mattresses can suffer alike if you don't have some sort of ventilation solution in play.
IanPoulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 08:14 AM   #8
Regular Guy

1978 31' Sovereign
Hot Springs , Arkansas
I use a high quality electrostatic air purifier. It is called Fresh Aire by Ecoquest, model 2.1. It removes all particulates, can be set to varying ozone levels and has a built in UV light to kill all the remaining bad stuff. It has an "away" feature that increases the Ozone output to sanitize the air. It is apprx 12hx8wx10d. Its portable, runs on 115V, and is in a handsome case.

It doesn't have to be run continuously, but when the pollen count is off the charts, it is superb. It's a bit on the pricey side, I think wifey paid 400 for it, but it is worth every penny. It provides that "New Airstream" smell everybody loves.
NavyCorpsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 11:07 AM   #9
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Maintaining indoor air quality

I use the roof A/C, a 70-pint dehumidifier, and a Blue Air 403. Plus a small recirculating fan in my 35'. Gulf Coast Texas.

Air infiltration repair is almost always needed. Door or roof vent seal that need attention. Plumbing and electrical penetrations ( such as tank stack gaskets). Window gaskets.

One does not wind up with an airtight trailer, but fixing the worst offenders is worth the effort.

Trailers are small, and dust tends to collect in them rapidly.

Carpet is a mistake, IMO, as rugs are better suited. Curtains a bit the same, as being to easily clean or launder fabrics is a higher priority than a house. These are CLOSE quarters once the need for heating or cooling is present.

But, since the lifespan of furnishings is dependent on amount of use, not just climate, choose what makes you happy. And already have maintenance tools, gear and supplies aboard as you begin. That may help determine some finishes acceptable to you.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote