Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-14-2017, 10:17 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Spring , Texas
Mail Forwarding and Medication

Before we make the full time plunge, we are trying to get as much information about Mail/medications forwarding to a current location. I've been caught a few times ASSuming things, which doesn't end well for me. And I really don't want that to happen again.

I get all my medications through the VA. Some of those medications require a signature, others don't.

One of my biggest concerns with Mail forwarding, can I still get my medications forwarded to where ever I am at? Will they send both signature required and no signature meds?

Thank you all
Starstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 05:04 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I suspect your best source for getting medication forwarding information is the VA and/or the Post Office... it may be that you can get your prescriptions filled at VA locations near where you are.

Mail forwarding can be handled thru a number of means...UPS and the Escapees club come immediately to mind.

Maggie
Old 03-15-2017, 05:17 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
If possible try to have a real live human being available at your postal address, in order to forward meds and do other necessary tasks to support your being on the road.

The weakest link in the chain is where it breaks . . .

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 06:04 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
I do meds at Walmart , there is usually one of them and they ALL have access to Rx. Also there is a difference in price even though on Medicare. I get 3 months in Texas for LESS than what I pay for 1 month in Iowa.
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 06:50 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB International
Deforest , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
I suspect your best source for getting medication forwarding information is the VA and/or the Post Office... it may be that you can get your prescriptions filled at VA locations near where you are.

Mail forwarding can be handled thru a number of means...UPS and the Escapees club come immediately to mind.

Maggie
I agree with Maggie, check with the VA see what your options are. If you can get your prescriptions filled at a Walmart or other national chain that might be the best in terms of convenience for you vs worrying about mail being delivered.

(disclaimer: I have never worked for Walmart or any of its affiliates.)
RxGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 08:47 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Edisto Island , South Carolina
The forwarding service I use can accept and forward mail that requires a signature. Since that authority is granted via Postal form 1583 any mail forwarding service should be able to do the same. If you want more info about the service I use, feel free to send a PM
Edistobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 12:40 PM   #7
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
All UPS offices have mail forwarding. You would of course have to have a postal mail box with them.
Old 03-15-2017, 12:41 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Box Elder (formerly Long Island, NY) , South Dakota
I believe both Express Scripts and WellDyneRx will ship wherever you tell them to (Amazon does this too). Smaller Post Office locations (as well as some large ones) will accept mail addressed to you C/O General Delivery. I expect any mail forwarding service worth paying for should be able to forward ALL you mail as you direct.
NY24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 12:41 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
Livingston , Texas
Send a message via AIM to spclkaz
Medications on the Road

My situation may be different from most as I am retired military and get all my medications from Express Scripts... they are very good about emailing you prior to shipping your meds... when I am on the road, I give Express Scripts my shipping address and I just stay put until I receive them via US mail or UPS.

One helpful tip is to have your doctor write a script for a 90 day supply with three refills... that way, you don't have to bother him/her for a renewal every 30 days or so... also the 90 day script also save me on co-pays as I only have to pay one vs one every 30 days...
spclkaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 02:25 PM   #10

2017 23' International
Livingston , Texas
RX Delivery and Signature

Hi. I would suggest joining Escapes and using their mail forwarding services. You can authorize them to act as your agent to sign for you. I would call them or email them first to ensure they can handle this particular situation.

Safe Travels!

KenTex
Kentex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 02:51 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I get meds through a mail order place that services Humana. All mine qualify for 90 day supply so I can be out longer. Also none of mine are "regulated" so I don't have to sign for them.
Any meds that require a signature might be a problem, because the PO won't want them sitting around either.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 09:30 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Spring , Texas
Thank you for all the replies. We had an Escapees membership & need to renew it. Also need to do more research. VA isn't always quick to respond to inquiries. We were out of town 5 weeks last year, and our older daughter was supposed to pick up our mail at the PO at least once a week. After her first visit someone there ASSumed we had returned. Instead of following our instructions on the hold card, they started putting our mail back in the box, for which she doesn't have a key.
Starstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 02:27 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starstream View Post
. . .
. . . for which she doesn't have a key.
In order to keep our road trips off of others' radar screens, we have someone at home who can maintain a seamless presence to keep life looking normal, including having keys to all important places (not just PO boxes). Our attorney has a power of attorney in case of any urgent needs requiring it.

If you are selling the house, and really abandoning a certain geographic area, this process becomes more complex, but it is still a good insurance policy to have someone available locally to pick up the pieces, if need be.

Breaking "the ties that bind" has become increasingly difficult in our complex society.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote