Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2019, 11:14 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2020 25' Flying Cloud
Atlanta , Georgia
Magma Nesting Cookware

We tow a mid-20'-range AS. I'm looking at nesting cookware to buy a little extra space in the kitchen. Does anyone use the Magma cookware, have an opinion, want to share? (I know, it's shocking to suggest that any of you have an opinion or might want to share it...)
Belbein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 11:45 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
We have not used the Magma cookware. For weight and space saving cookware we have gone to "Sea to Summit" cookware. It is uber light and collapses down to store. We use the heck out of it and has held up for 3+ years so far.

I still bring a few cast iron pieces as well

-Dennis
batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 11:51 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Kingwood , Texas
We use ours all the time. Have added additional lids from Ikea that are made out of a flexible material similar to cookie sheet liners only twice as thick.
DoubleR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 11:52 AM   #4
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
I bought the whole set of Magma nesting cookware and after a few trips and a couple broken drawers, the Magma stays in the house. They’re nice but way too heavy for what I needed in the AS.

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 02:32 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2020 23' Globetrotter
Savoy , Texas
We use our Magma nesting both in the house and the FC. Great cookware.
SpinWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 03:06 PM   #6

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
I have, use and like the Magma nesting set. I bought a set compatible with induction cooktops (because I have a portable one.)

Mine have not damaged anything in my Flying Cloud in the 12k+ miles I've traveled with them, but I don't keep pots and pans in small drawers. I nest the set (with some felt spacers so they don't get scratched up from vibration) and keep it on the shelf under the sink. They work well, it's nice to be able to compact them by removing the handles and nice to have a decent array of pots when we're getting serious about cooking.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 03:35 PM   #7
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
If it is made of real magma, it should cook anything in seconds and heat the trailer as well.

We do have a nesting set of cookware made of some fairly heavy aluminum pots and pans with removable handles. They save space, add weight. Not all of them are really all that useful for us, so we only bring some of them. There are a variety of nesting cookware sets and best to check out a variety. Amazon sells several brands including the Magma lines—Magma is very expensive compared to some others. I think we paid around $60 a dozen years ago for a decent set. Unless you are going to use a trailer a lot and for many, many years, I see little reason to buy a really expensive set. We also bring some cast iron pans because they are better for cooking though even heavier.

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 09:21 PM   #8
Journeyman

2016 25' International
Amherst , Massachusetts
We have the non-stick Magma and it works great. Make sure you get the protectors that you slip in between the pots so they don't damage each other.

I store mine under the sink.

Some (hopefully useful) Airstream videos here:
https://www.youtube.com/c/journeymanvideos
thiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 09:45 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
Ditto for us. Stored under the sink in our 25ft. Been using it for 5 years and would buy again. Made some separators out of non slip shelving material and so far no damage.
We have the non stick induction compatible but have not tried it with an induction yet as most of our camping is boondocking
gandttimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 10:36 PM   #10
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Another positive endorsement for Magma. We’ve got the stainless steel set. It’s really high quality and very compact for storage under the sink. It’s heavy so it sits well in the stove. Thumbs up![emoji1303]
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 12:20 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari
Anaheim , California
Been using the Magma for 12 years now and been very pleased with their performance. We use the "daisy" liners between pans and they have traveled without damage stored in the oven. Mostly used for quick breakfast meals as we do a lot of dutch oven cooking for evening meals. Kind of embarrassed to say that the Magma in the trailer is nicer than the pans we use at home.
Old 08-15-2019, 06:53 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2020 25' Flying Cloud
Atlanta , Georgia
Finally the Yankees weigh in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thiel View Post
We have the non-stick Magma and it works great. .

Very odd. I don't know if y'all noticed, but until Theil, everyone who spoke in favor of Magma was a Texan, and everyone against was a non-Texan. I wondered if there was some sort of conspiracy afoot until Theil triggered the groundswell of those poor souls who are non-Texans.

Further question: For two people, not planning on hosting dinner parties in our AS, is the "7 piece" set sufficient, or should I splurge on the "10 piece"?
Old 08-15-2019, 07:29 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2013 28' International
Bozeman , Montana
Love ours. Great product and company that stands behind their products. We have the 10 pieces stainless, not the non stick. In hindsight, wish I would have purchased the induction compatible so we could use a portable induction burner outside.
HeadWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 07:41 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Marana , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadWest View Post
Love ours. Great product and company that stands behind their products. We have the 10 pieces stainless, not the non stick. In hindsight, wish I would have purchased the induction compatible so we could use a portable induction burner outside.

Are these what your referring to?

https://amzn.to/2Z59bWE
Old 08-15-2019, 08:18 AM   #15
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

An alternative that has worked very well for us:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Since they aren't distributed in the US, getting them is not as easy as it might be. They are lightweight and well made. Other stuff by the same outfit is sold in the US, just not the cool stacking stuff.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 11:10 PM   #16
Journeyman

2016 25' International
Amherst , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belbein View Post
Very odd. I don't know if y'all noticed, but until Theil, everyone who spoke in favor of Magma was a Texan, and everyone against was a non-Texan. I wondered if there was some sort of conspiracy afoot until Theil triggered the groundswell of those poor souls who are non-Texans.

Further question: For two people, not planning on hosting dinner parties in our AS, is the "7 piece" set sufficient, or should I splurge on the "10 piece"?

Well, I'm a New Englander, so while I may have little in common with the folks from Texas, I have always tried to foster good cooperation between our two great nations!

Some (hopefully useful) Airstream videos here:
https://www.youtube.com/c/journeymanvideos
thiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 06:05 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2022 25' Flying Cloud
Putnam , Connecticut
Cookware question

Have seen several folks post about magma nesting cookware but Omg it’s pricey. We are first time RVers with a new AS Bambi 2020. Trying to outfit her well. Should we just make do with an assortment from home? Anyone find a less pricey alternative lately?
Carl n Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 06:33 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2020 25' Flying Cloud
Atlanta , Georgia
Pricey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl n Lynn View Post
Omg it’s pricey.

Everything inside, outside, touching, filling or related to an AS is pricey. Why should this be different?

We've got a 2016(?) Bambi 22', and given the space limitations, we decided after several years to reduce the number of pots and pans of assorted provenances that we used to carry. We also decided to do away with non-paper dishes and cups. There just isn't room. We didn't know about Magma then, but if we had, we'd'a bought it.
Old 08-21-2019, 11:31 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
South Hero , Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl n Lynn View Post
Have seen several folks post about magma nesting cookware but Omg it’s pricey. We are first time RVers with a new AS Bambi 2020. Trying to outfit her well. Should we just make do with an assortment from home? Anyone find a less pricey alternative lately?

Try Defender marine. They have better prices and often run a sale. We have large regular (not non-stick) and use it all the time. Our set came with an extra handle, which is handy.
sb55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 11:47 AM   #20
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Carl n Lynn, of course you can use whatever you can from home. The Airstream Police will not visit you to make sure you only have pricey pots and pans. As time goes by you will figure out what you need and what you don't. Wait for sales in the fall of RV equipment or just go to a second hand place and buy some extra stuff for the trailer.

Many people buy Bambis and in a few years upgrade because the Bambi's are very small. Airstreams do not have much storage anyway and so you will probably want to restrict cookware quite a bit if you want to have a place to sit.

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote