Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-07-2017, 10:19 AM   #21
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarFetched View Post
Our TV is a Nissan Armada. No pickups for us as on future trips we'll need to have comfortable seating for us plus one set of parents plus a German Shepherd, and we're all vertically gifted so a crew cab would make for grumpy campers.
That brings up an issue: generator fuel. Carrying fuel inside an SUV is not always a great idea.

You can get non-vented fuel cans, that won't release vapors into the air until you open the poor spout valve and are ready to pour. Look for CARB-approved (California Air Resources Board) cans. These are safer to carry inside your SUV, but if it was me I'd carry them inside the trailer, inside a Rubbermaid container big enough to fit the cans to provide secondary containment just in case of a spill.

I would do the same thing with the generator itself, so that fuel and/or vapors trapped inside the generator's fuel tank don't pose a hazard for the SUV's occupants. That means you would want a generator physically small enough to lift into and out of a Rubbermaid container.
Old 08-07-2017, 10:31 AM   #22
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

You will have a tough time renting a quiet generator. Most of the rental places will stock "construction" generators. Those things are VERY LOUD when operating.

30A service will indeed run a single AC. Most 3000 W generators will run a single AC. Many 2000 W generators can be hooked up in parallel to run a single AC. Why does this matter? A 2KW generator is much smaller / lighter than a 3KW. My 3KW Honda is a monster compared to my 2KW Yamaha (I have very little brand loyalty ....). Running at idle, a 2KW will usually use less fuel than a 3KW at idle. There are enough different generators out there that you can never say "always". On the trips where you don't need AC, take along one 2KW generator. On the trips where you do need a single AC, take along the pair and manage your loads carefully.

With *any* SUV, take a look at the numbers carefully. It's very common to bump into load limits on them when towing. Tossing a full complement of "real sized" people, and dogs and gear into one along with a full weight trailer tongue and hitch .... gulp .... Axles / tires / frames / drive trains have limits. The time to check this is *before* you start adding more gear

One alternative is to take two vehicles. Yes it's not as cosy and you can't chat along the way. It also involves a bit more room when you get there. It gives you more flexibility when you are there. It also lets you "scout ahead" with the vehicle that is not doing the towing. If you get in a bind with one vehicle out in the way back woods, the second vehicle might be very useful ....

Lots of options !!!

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 10:52 AM   #23
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
That brings up an issue: generator fuel. Carrying fuel inside an SUV is not always a great idea.

You can get non-vented fuel cans, that won't release vapors into the air until you open the poor spout valve and are ready to pour. Look for CARB-approved (California Air Resources Board) cans. These are safer to carry inside your SUV, but if it was me I'd carry them inside the trailer, inside a Rubbermaid container big enough to fit the cans to provide secondary containment just in case of a spill.

I would do the same thing with the generator itself, so that fuel and/or vapors trapped inside the generator's fuel tank don't pose a hazard for the SUV's occupants. That means you would want a generator physically small enough to lift into and out of a Rubbermaid container.
Hi

Even if you do an LP conversion, the same basic issues still apply. The solutions are slightly different, but it's still an issue. 5+ gallons of any sort of fuel per day is a lot of fuel to be hauling. One 40 lb tank (if you have 40's rather than 30's) on the front of the trailer only hold about 8 (real world) to 10 (over filled) gallons of LP. You won't get quite the power density out of LP as out of gasoline. you would use a bit more per day gallon wise on LP. It's a lot of any sort of fuel ....

Basic alternative 1A:

You are outside all day doing "stuff". Turn off the generator and the AC when it's really hot out. You're not in the trailer then anyway.

It cools down at night, open the windows at night.

Now your AC usage is three hours or so around dinner time. That also is your generator run time. You might run for a half hour fixing breakfast (or maybe not).
What was fuel for a day now lasts *much* longer.

Yes, this is a lot easier to think about here at a campsite that will hit a super hot 73 degrees today than in Madras Oregon where it will hit 100. It will go down to the same ~ 60 degrees at night in both places. One hint - If it gets to 100 degrees, you *will* need both AC units running mid afternoon. That's unless you find a lot of shade.

Bob
Old 08-07-2017, 11:38 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Farfetched:
PM sent

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 02:37 PM   #25
1 Rivet Member

2017 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
I searched e-bay and found a Mercury Marine 6 gal tank and a quick connect/disconnect hose set up to run either a single or pair of the Honda eu2000i 2kw . Each eu weighs roughly 47 lb.
Oli44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 06:31 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2011 19' Flying Cloud
Renton , Washington
Hi FF,
We're taking 97 to avoid I-5 and Puget Sound area traffic. Actually gonna stay at Yakima Sportsman SP (changed plan) ; lots of availability on Thu. night. Then three hours of hopefully pleasant driving to Madras on Fri. I think your idea to rent a generator for this trip is a good idea.
Meg
orange kayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 06:46 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
One thing about your Honda 7000 is if in two years you decide it's not for you, it will sell so fast you won't stop the phone ringing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli44 View Post
I searched e-bay and found a Mercury Marine 6 gal tank
The metal one? That's a real find! I found the common 6 gal outboard tank has gone the way of the Passenger Pigeon. I find the plastic one's leak.
Attached Images

Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 11:22 AM   #28
1 Rivet Member

2017 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Tank and Hoses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
One thing about your Honda 7000 is if in two years you decide it's not for you, it will sell so fast you won't stop the phone ringing.

The metal one? That's a real find! I found the common 6 gal outboard tank has gone the way of the Passenger Pigeon. I find the plastic one's leak.

Reference e-bay attachments. Amazon would be another source for the Mercury Quicksilver tank. Amazon 4.5 purchaser reviews make no mention of there ever having been a problem with the tank leaking.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf EPSON016.PDF (275.5 KB, 16 views)
File Type: pdf EPSON015.PDF (289.8 KB, 26 views)
Oli44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 12:16 PM   #29
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Reminder, vented tanks are not good for carrying inside SUVs. Not even really fine metal vented tanks. Being wider than they are tall, they're not likely to tip over and spill, but it's not the liquid that you need to worry about, it's the gasoline vapor.

Not everyone is aware that breathing gasoline vapor can cause headaches, dizziness, nausea, memory impairment, and loss of motor coordination because the nerves that send signals to your muscles can be affected. If carrying gasoline (or diesel, for that matter) in a space that is also occupied by people or pets, please stick to CARB-approved non-vented cans.
Old 08-09-2017, 12:39 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' International
Seattle , Washington
Well, ultimately the decision's been made not by Eeyore nor Pollyanna, but by our dogsitter, who has cancelled on us.

With the prospects of being unsure what our cooling capabilities will be in 90 degree weather under full sun, we both agree it's too risky to bring our black German Shepherd with us, so our shakedown cruise will have to wait.

I'll be posting elsewhere to sell our spot for the eclipse, but if you see this and are interested, please PM me.
FarFetched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 01:46 PM   #31
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarFetched View Post
Well, ultimately the decision's been made not by Eeyore nor Pollyanna, but by our dogsitter, who has cancelled on us.

With the prospects of being unsure what our cooling capabilities will be in 90 degree weather under full sun, we both agree it's too risky to bring our black German Shepherd with us, so our shakedown cruise will have to wait.

I'll be posting elsewhere to sell our spot for the eclipse, but if you see this and are interested, please PM me.
Hi

As I mentioned in another thread, we use the neighbor kids as dog sitters. It's worked quite well for us. As long as we have lots of water, we bring at least one dog along with us on most trips. They seem to handle the heat pretty well. We do get the Neuf's haircuts in the summer, but that's about it.

Bob
Old 08-09-2017, 01:58 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' International
Seattle , Washington
Send them my way! I couldn't even get the neighbor's kids to move our garbage 20 feet to the curb properly.
FarFetched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 09:28 PM   #33
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Hehehe.. that's gonna be fun!!!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 10:43 PM   #34
3 Rivet Member

2011 19' Flying Cloud
Renton , Washington
We've got dogs, too. So we get it. Enjoy getting to know your new place! See you on the road!
orange kayak is offline   Reply With Quote