Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-24-2018, 02:07 PM   #61
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Daq- I disagree with your assertion about a pole barn not adding value...not sure where you live, but an addition like a nice pole barn or RV garage is something most of us "guys" would love to see when looking for a new home if there is space and no HOA's! Problem is, in many neighborhoods the HOAs may not permit. I know I am looking for solutions for both MT and TX now (no HOA's). My good friend been selling real estate for 45 years says "great addition" if done right. I doubt anyone buying a "million dollar" home is complaining about the pole barn or anything else....that type dollar usually has a good selection of homes to choose. By the way, usually it's the home that gets the most attention...the garage or pole barn is added value! Anyhow, off topic now...

Did I say it didn’t add value? Did you read my post? I said you are not going to get your COST back. COST DOES NOT EQUAL MARKET VALUE. I’ve been a professional real estate appraiser for 22 years. I’ve probably appraised 8,000 properties in the last 22 years, and I have worked with other appraisers in this area for as long. And I can categorically state YOU WILL NOT GET YOUR COST BACK. You will got some value, but the amount will depend upon your market and lots of other factors.

A “great addition” does not mean getting your cost back. It may increase marketability, but that doesn’t equal cost. Maybe you should ask your friend who has been selling real estate to clarify his statement.

And if I had a dime for every property over priced by real estate agents I’d be a rich man.

But go ahead. Build that big pole barn. You’ll be adding great value for the guy that buys it 50 cents on the dollar for what you have put into it.

And you nailed it right on the head. It is the home that gets the most attention. It’s not the pole barn, I can tell you that.

I always get a kick out of people who haven’t appraised one home yet they can tell a professional that they are wrong. That is hubris. It’s also why I see homeowners do lots of really dumb things. They’ve watched way too many shows on HGTV.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 12:12 PM   #62
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daquenzer View Post
Did I say it didn’t add value? Did you read my post? I said you are not going to get your COST back. COST DOES NOT EQUAL MARKET VALUE. I’ve been a professional real estate appraiser for 22 years. I’ve probably appraised 8,000 properties in the last 22 years, and I have worked with other appraisers in this area for as long. And I can categorically state YOU WILL NOT GET YOUR COST BACK. You will got some value, but the amount will depend upon your market and lots of other factors.

A “great addition” does not mean getting your cost back. It may increase marketability, but that doesn’t equal cost. Maybe you should ask your friend who has been selling real estate to clarify his statement.

And if I had a dime for every property over priced by real estate agents I’d be a rich man.

But go ahead. Build that big pole barn. You’ll be adding great value for the guy that buys it 50 cents on the dollar for what you have put into it.

And you nailed it right on the head. It is the home that gets the most attention. It’s not the pole barn, I can tell you that.

I always get a kick out of people who haven’t appraised one home yet they can tell a professional that they are wrong. That is hubris. It’s also why I see homeowners do lots of really dumb things. They’ve watched way too many shows on HGTV.
Well, you surely are "the" expert here...I've only been buying and selling homes for 45 years myself...thought I knew a little until I see your getting your dander up So lets just agree that value is in the eyes of the buyer...not the appraiser! And "dumb things" to some, may be just what the buyer wants...but, your the expert here...I would never challenge such expertise...nor would I put my decisions on one persons input. Merry Christmas!
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 12:48 PM   #63
4 Rivet Member

2015 23' Flying Cloud
Copper Hill , Virginia
We live up on a mountain/out in the country. I had this built last fall,I consider it a work in progress! I'll side it my self with rough cut 1x8 hemlock from local mill. Then I'll build shed roof on each side. No need to stain the wood as we like to let it turn natural grey to match our other barn and run in for the horses.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	629.3 KB
ID:	330342
FloydCoVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 02:42 PM   #64
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Nice tow vehicle

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 09:07 AM   #65
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloydCoVa View Post
We live up on a mountain/out in the country. I had this built last fall,I consider it a work in progress! I'll side it my self with rough cut 1x8 hemlock from local mill. Then I'll build shed roof on each side. No need to stain the wood as we like to let it turn natural grey to match our other barn and run in for the horses.

Attachment 330342
Does that come in a 4 door model??
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 01:30 PM   #66
4 Rivet Member

2015 23' Flying Cloud
Copper Hill , Virginia
No John Deere doesn't come in four doors but the new ford I have on order does!
FloydCoVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 04:32 PM   #67
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Our New Holland is just a two door ... rofl .... but just a one seater .... squashed with wife or dog on board ...
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 02:20 PM   #68
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Chico , California
Anyone use Future Buildings?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmslawson View Post
Our 14x30 www.SteelmasterUSA.com serves us well in “climate controlled” coastal Southern California.

Looking at a similar RV Carport from www.futurebuildings.com to the Steelmaster dmslawson has in post #35.

Anyone used them? What's your experience?
brainwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 06:44 PM   #69

1978 31' Sovereign
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
aberdeen , South Dakota
just on the last of mine. heated concrete floor pole style building 36 x 56 holds all the toys
sdsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 08:40 PM   #70
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by mefly2 View Post
We are across the country, but MQS in Stevensville, MT web site would be a good source for post & beam construction ideas ... We have a considerable snow load around here which dictates healthy design for wind and ice accumulation. The lean to addition on one side makes it versatile for the tractor, truck, and Eddie Bauer for all seasons. The sliding barn doors provide much better access and security over the roll ups... with less hassle in the winter and less drifting snow in the winter for the enclosed area.
Eddie is back in the barn for the winter ... snow has finally hit here with a vengeance!
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote