Old 09-26-2015, 12:12 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member
2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Cool , California
Love letter to our Airstream

We bought our brand new 2014 27’ Eddie Bauer Airstream, 1 years ago, after talking and dreaming about it for years. We went out on a financial, emotional and physical limb to finally realize this dream.

We tweaked our finances in very “creative” ways (thank God for great credit :). Neither of us had ever towed anything like this (I have never towed anything, ever. My husband towed a small boat, back in his high-school days).

When we picked it up we were excited and terrified. We didn’t even dump our minimal sewage at the dealership (we spent the night and had full hookups) because we didn’t know how and we were embarrassed to ask. We spent hour in the cul-de-sac behind the dealership driving it around, pretending to back it up (ha!) and wondering if we would be able to get it into our driveway at home in such a way that we could ever get it out again.

We made a deal with each other that if we did this, we would make a point of getting out at least for a few days every single month. Our fear was that we would buy it and then it would just sit, but we have lived up to that promise, and so much more!

In addition to our numerous weekend trips every month to Bodega Bay and the many lakes in the Sierra Nevada range, we did a week long trip to the amazing Lost Coast (Mattole) just a few months after buying it, that entailed a TERRIFYING drive out (holy cow!). Then, a three week trip that included Colorado in January (snow, waking up to 40 degree temperatures in the trailer, which the dogs alerted us to because they were huddled and shivering on the bed. But I digress…), New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada, Utah - an amazing trip!

Anyway, this particular love letter is about all of the amazing fun and adventures we’ve had in just a very short time, knowing nothing and learning lots, about the Airstream, trailering and each other.

(Oh, and we started with one Boxer, and now have three, that all travel with us.)

KristiBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 03:58 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
My wife and I know the feeling 😃

Very happy for you!

Did you get the EB for biking, kayaking or something else?

SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 05:37 AM   #3
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I understand completely.

Comfort, beauty, peace, memories, solitude, friendship, more memories.....and the promise within of many more....that is my Interstate.

Couldn't love it more.

🏡 🚐 Cherish and appreciate those you love. This moment could be your last.🌹🐚❤️
Lily&Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 06:30 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member
2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Cool , California
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
Did you get the EB for biking, kayaking or something else?
We originally got it for our 17' kayaks, which just exactly fit. But, we have since put racks on our TV for our shorter but "tubbier" dog kayaks, so we don't carry the longer kayaks with us much anymore.

However, we have always thought the best part about the EB was the ability to open the entire back end up, pull the screen down and let the outside in while sitting at the dinette. It's one of my favorite features!
Old 09-27-2015, 07:53 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member
East Freetown , Alaska
Inspired ~
hsetera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 05:37 AM   #6
Rivet Master
2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Lake Placid , Florida
If I'm not in my Airstream, I'm dreaming of being in my Airstream! I LOVE my TrueLove!!

Laura & Tom
Let the good times roll!! Laura
Remax gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 12:00 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member
1994 36' Classic 36 Diesel
Morton , Illinois
Thanks for sharing your love letter! If I'm not in mine, I am longing for it, or planning a trip with it. It is my magical happy place. It doesn't matter if my husband or friends are with me, or if I'm off by myself. I'm happy. Glad to read a post from a kindred spirit.

Connie n Bruce
Looking Forward to Days on the Road
Connie 'n Bruce
CLKIESER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 12:59 PM   #8
Rivet Master
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Glad to hear about your Airstream travels and the enjoyment is has brought you. We are six years into Airstreaming and getting ready for our annual trek to the southern states, and see as much as we can along the way.

Looking forward to it every year, it has taken us from coast to coast several times and throughout the country, always in complete comfort. Fifty years of camping, we've had some great adventures but our Airstream has become a real joy for us as well.

These Airstreams are built to travel with the comfort of home and do a great job of it.
Doug and Cheryl
2012 FC RB, Michelin 16, ProPride 1400
2016 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab 4X4 Ecodiesel 3.92 axles

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 02:03 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member
2006 30' Classic
Wildwood , Missouri
I think many of us Airstream owners feel the same way about out beloved trailers. We just got back from a 2 week trip to western South Dakota for the Buffalo Round-Up. We have had such wonderful times exploring this beautiful country with our Airstream in tow. We have made many new friends through WBCCI and AirForums which only enhance our enjoyment of the "Airstream" life. I wish you continued fun adventures with your Airstream.
kswelsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 02:10 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member
2003 25' Safari
Grayling , Michigan
Glad you are enjoying your Airstream. I feel sorry for the people who buy and then do not use them.

We have had a 25ft. Safari since 2005 and it has made numerous trips across the country and down south. It has allowed us to visit places we never would have gotten the if it wasn't for the trailer. We spend actually more time in the trailer then we do at home. We spent so much time in it that we had to have the interior redone last year. I don't know of a purchase that we have ever made that we have been this satisfied with.

With that in mind, I got to go back to cleaning it so I can attend the Urban Air rally in Eaton Rapids, MI this weekend.

cando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 03:04 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member
2015 23' International
Bayfield , Wisconsin
Totally understand

We picked up our 2015 23D in April this year. June 10th we left our home on Lake Superior and visited 9 national parks and put on 7500 miles. We were on the road for two months. Arrived back home August 10th. Can't wait to take it back out. It's winterized and in storage. Plan on heading south in February sometime for a couple months. We only have one dog though. Really missing the AS adventure.
Airborne6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 06:44 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member
2007 27' Safari FB SE
Rancho Murieta , California
Wonderful tribute to a spectacular Lifestyle! We picked up our 27FB in Wentzville, MO. and towed it home to California! We cannot imagine life without our "Magic Castle!" we too have 3 dogs who LOVE to travel with us.
Congratulations, Kristi!
Ron & Karen
PS: I see you're in Cool. I think we saw you on the new roster for WBCCI?
Ronman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 07:45 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member
2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Cool , California
Originally Posted by Ronman View Post
PS: I see you're in Cool. I think we saw you on the new roster for WBCCI?
Thanks, Ron & Karen

We are not on the WBCCI roster, but I have been meaning to do that for so long now. Tonight!
Old 09-29-2015, 03:26 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member
1977 25' Tradewind
Cibolo , Texas
Hope you enjoy your Airstream as much as I do mine. Got it the second time in Oct 2009 and been out there 69 times since then. Most of my trips are to State Parks and US Army Corps of Engineers. Did make it to South Dakota for the Buffalo Round Up but we flew this time. Just didn't have the time to drive and still spend a week in the local area. Texas license plate reads "LAZRUS" if you see me on the road be sure to blow your horn and wave. Happy Camping..............Mac

GailMac is offline   Reply With Quote