Old 04-10-2018, 09:52 PM   #1

Fargo , North Dakota
Looking to buy

I'm going to be retiring this year and my wife wants a air stream trailer . I'm a 35 year trucker used to pulling trailers. I don't want a big trailer. My wife wants twin beds and does not like wet bathrooms. I have a f 150 v8 355 rear end king ranch 2014. I know more power is better in a tv but would like to stay with truck if possible. Any suggestions in a trailer model? May trade for diesel 250.

Siouxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 12:06 AM   #2
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
The shortest coach with twin beds is the 25. The 23FB can be modified to have twins, but not standard.

The 25 is a bit heavy on the tongue. Look at the 27s. (23-27-33)

The standard advice is to visit a major dealer like Colonial, figure out what works for you and find a way to make it all work. Do not trade up, it's expensive. Do it once and get it right. Colonial has good videos as a start to your research. Slightly/lighty used saves you money. Knowledge saves you money. DIY saves you money.

If you are looking for an excuse to get a 3/4 or 1 ton, it's not an AS. You can tow any AS with a lot of tow vehicles. If you have been on the road, you have the skills to get it up, down, around and into everywhere the rig will fit. Your existing should do well, unless the brag rights are in limp mode.

Good luck with your research. It's a great team here on the forum. Welcome! Hope to meet your smile down the road some day. Pat

PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 06:56 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
Looking to buy

In my opinion, the 25’ is the smallest size that has everything you need, without compromise. We have a 23’, and it also has everything we need, but the bed is a tight fit. Twin beds fit comfortably in a 25’, and are easy to make up and get in and out of during the night without having to crawl over the other person. Longer than 25' has more of what you need and want, but the longer you go, the more you are limited in where you camp.

Your F150 will handle the 25’ fine, but a 250 diesel is a lot more fun.
McDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 07:11 AM   #4

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

First off, welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

As has been mentioned , the 25FB twin is the smallest Airstream that is available with twin beds. We have had two 25FB's over the last twelve years. We are avid Airstream campers and have spent almost 1,900 nights in our Airtreams. We have towed them about 180,00 miles all over the United States and Canada.

We have found the 25FB floor plan to be very livable. Some of our longer trips have lasted for over three months. We tow with a 3/4 ton Silverado. We carry a Honda 3000 Generator, a bunch of tools, spare parts, and all kinds of camping gear in the bed of our truck. For our long Airstream Adventures we do carry just about everything but the kitchen sink. We also have a topper on the truck bed.

Our camping style dictates at least a 3/4 ton truck. Between a 900# tongue weight and all the "necessities" that we take with us, we are beyond the payload capacity of most 1/2 ton trucks. There are some minimalist campers that can travel light enough to make a half ton work for them. That just isn't us.

Best wishes in your quest. Here is a picture of our current Airstream camping combination.

Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1772.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	303.3 KB
ID:	308450  
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 11:31 PM   #5

2019 30' Flying Cloud
Doral , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siouxman View Post
I'm going to be retiring this year and my wife wants a air stream trailer . I'm a 35 year trucker used to pulling trailers. I don't want a big trailer. My wife wants twin beds and does not like wet bathrooms. I have a f 150 v8 355 rear end king ranch 2014. I know more power is better in a tv but would like to stay with truck if possible. Any suggestions in a trailer model? May trade for diesel 250.
I would definitely buy one used. We bought one in March of this year, it was used. A couple had lived in it full time after they retired. Most of the kinks are already worked out when you get a used one. We had a few repairs and some typical maintenance things, but I don't regret it at all!
shaggyJJ is offline   Reply With Quote