Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2015, 07:21 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
Question Looking into Airstreams

I will soon be in a position to purchase an Airstream from a Canadian Dealer; but I' see that there appear to be a number of 'problems' with this marque.
I watched a video recently where a 'couple' had a very leaky
Airstream in a rainstorm, and were desperately using buckets to try to control the deluge. I have read several other reports about this problem.
I was told [ by an owner], that the reason for the leaks, was that Airstream was 'cheaping out' on the number of rivets used, and were compelled to go back to the original specs. So have they solved this anomaly?

When commercial aircraft are built, the laps of the skins [faying surfaces]are painted with "B-1/2" rubber sealant, then the skins are "cleco'ed' together at each predrilled hole. Then the rivets are driven home, at each alternate hole. This protocol ensures that there is no leakage of water or air pressure. So.....
Does Airstream follow this procedure, or do they just hammer home the rivets dry?
Are there other problems that I should consider, before plunking down my 'fortune'?
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 08:55 PM   #2
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Airstreams have 'similar' construction to Aircraft. Only 'similar'...

There is minimal 'lap' sealant. Then Airstream runs the outer shell and frame through a 'water' test. (disclaimer... what follows is what I have learned which may be incorrect).. But, it 'simulates' rain... not hours and days of rain, or driving at 60MPH while jostling on the road... for a few days... Only the biggest leaks are discovered... and they say they are repaired... hmmmmmaybe is my guess. There is no 'pressure' testing of the shell.

Now, AS then takes the unit and continues the 'build'... adding the components inside the walls, insulation, wires, AC drain tubing, etc...nowhere is the AS re-leak-checked that I have learned. All these things added and done to the AS, apply stresses to the shell which were not present in the first water test. This can cause changes in the AS.. Then, the AS is handed off to a 'delivery' company who tows it as quickly as possible.. and of course 'safely' to the 'dealer's lot'... maybe it gets 'bounced' a bit.. who knows?

Now, some lucky person or couple purchase their 'dream' AS... it inevitably rains.. a lot.. and the leaks "appear".

As the AS 'matures', you will need to reseal... but, it is NOT impossible! Not that 'hard'... but it is 'annoying' to some folks..

The AS will require this 'maintenance' discipline..for life. If done, you will have a TT with superb longevity and 'fun'... a wonderful payback..

So, get the 'dream 'stream'... have it immediately 'pressure tested' and sealed up... then repeat annually.. more often if you haul over seriously lousy roads... Since each AS is a 'unique' creation, yours will have 'special needs'.... learn those needs and address them.. you should NOT have serious leaks or damage to contend with... and a AS you can hand off to someone... they my be a relative.. or a dear friend who will care for and appreciate your gift.....
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 09:05 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I would like to see the video you spoke of, do you have a link?

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 06:06 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
Unhappy

Not that I can recall at the moment; it was a while ago, and I may have deleted it.
Sorry!
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 06:12 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' International
2014 30' Flying Cloud
Los alamos , New Mexico
Video is a Airstream Promotional video, can be located by contacting factory, or Colonial Airstream.
Luigi123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 06:25 AM   #6
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
I can't imagine a leak so bad that they had to use buckets. Most of the leaks seem to be so unnoticeable and small that they go on for years causing a lot of damage because no one ever noticed they had a leak in the first place.
Old 06-03-2015, 06:41 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I can......

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130410_215847_341.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	159.1 KB
ID:	239905

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130410_215855_562.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	161.3 KB
ID:	239906

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 06:48 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Newport , Pennsylvania
I Wouldn't pay much attention to negative comments on the internet. Most of them are B/S

if you buy a new unit they have a warranty. I have had mine sitting outside for 3 months many rain storms and no leaks

on a used one do your own water test with a garden hose. I can't imagine leaks so bad that you need buckets unless someone damaged the roof.

enjoy

earl
EarlM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 07:19 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Earl, search this forum. You'll read for days. This was a sudden skylight deluge. Both of them. They crumbled from poor installation. Very common.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 06-03-2015, 08:05 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
Only for pressurized aircraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelGoddard View Post
When commercial aircraft are built, the laps of the skins [faying surfaces]are painted with "B-1/2" rubber sealant, then the skins are "cleco'ed' together at each predrilled hole. Then the rivets are driven home, at each alternate hole. This protocol ensures that there is no leakage of water or air pressure. So.....
:
Only pressurized aircraft are built that way. Unpressurized aircraft are built like Airstreams, only I have noticed the rivet spacing is different--more rivets on the Cessnas than on the Airstreams.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 08:15 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
One of the reason folks (like me) buy Airstreams is to avoid problems like this. I'm sure it happens from time to time but I doubt it's a common problem. This forum is full of great information and tips on doing things. However, there seems to be a great deal of negitivity among certain contributors from tow vehicles to hitches to just about everything. I've seen this on other forums also, so us readers must keep an open mind & realize that someone else's problem is most likely not going to be our problem.
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 08:20 AM   #12
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Haines , Oregon
All travel trailers are going to leak at some time or another. That includes new units. If new and on warranty, have the dealer resolve it, even if it means they (not you) have to take it back to the factory to do so. Airstreams are well made, but not perfect. You as an owner should plan on regular maintenance, including resealing areas that through age, UV exposure or vibration from rough roads have lost their seal.
Drathaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 10:34 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Crestview , Florida
leaks

I guess I'm out of the loop but I have not heard that a lot of the new 2014 2015's are having leak issues. I've been looking at the new units and it would be very upsetting to spend 90 to $100000 grand to start off with a leaky camper.
grizbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 10:57 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
It can take some time, and lack of maintenance is the source of some....but not all.

Old 06-03-2015, 11:56 AM   #15
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Holy moly! stand corrected
Old 06-03-2015, 12:11 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Every other year I pony up a couple of hundred bucks and have my almost 30 year old Sovereign pressure tested by my favorite dealer with his Seal Tech machine. There are usually a couple of minor leaks ( usually under the awning frame rail) that he takes care of on the spot. If I notice something in the meantime, out comes the appropriate sealant and "leak b gone".

My trailer is solidly built, rugged and I have pulled it over 65000 miles. The minor annoyance of keeping up with maintenance pales in comparison to the " smiles per gallon" my rig delivers.

Just a note:

As a former aircraft maintenance officer, I can testify that many pressurized aircraft leak -- back in the day, you could find airframe leaks by the nicotine stains, especially around cabin windows. Minor leaks were ignored until a maintenance availability period.

Mike
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 12:19 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Mocksville , North Carolina
I think water leaks are going to be a concern for any RV. It is what kept us from buying anything for so long and one of the reasons we eventually came around to Airstreams. The curved roofs mean less chances of standing water and the durable aluminum will last forever (well...a very long time anyway). Rivets can be sealed or replaced as needed. If I had ordered ours new I would have deleted the skylights though. They let too much light in while I try to sleep in late, too much heat in during the afternoon, and seem very flimsy, not to mention they are just something else to seal around. Our 2010 has only leaked once since we have had it and that was pulling through an extremely bad storm for several hours.
Echelon73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 12:58 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Oh yeah, I'd tell you about my old SOB, but why? Front floor - fixed. Roof - replaced. But the damage was done to the wood framed walls. Not worth fixing.

It is a huge advantage to have an all aluminum shell that won't rot...within reason. And you can fix the leaks long before they rot the floor, if you're diligent. I've been dry for over a year now...no water alarms, no moisture meter readings.....jinx!

Old 06-03-2015, 01:18 PM   #19
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
How many "boat owners" would be joyful at the lack of bilge? Water leaks in... And out!

The flooring is highest concern.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 01:49 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
If interested in an AS and want to buy one I would certainly do so. We have done it three times and loved each one. Just took the new one a 2015 30' FC out for her maiden trip. Rained so hard for a while I could not see the trailer parked in front of me. Checked for leaks, none. ONLY issues to date (1) Hitch jack binds a bit (2) not much airflow in the front A/C - HP vents, only in the front; bedroom in back will blow ones hat off. Out a week and that is it. For a "moving home", not bad. At dealer now before we head west for seven to eight weeks.

We have had any number of TTs, pop ups and motorhomes over our 45+ years and AS is by far our favorite and in my opinion the best and that includes an extremely expensive well made motorhome.

Good Luck
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote