Old 06-24-2012, 12:33 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Aubrey , Texas
Looking for info on a/c newbie asking

I would like to ask folks that camp in the southern part of the US we are looking at a2008 international 27FB with a 15,000 btu a/c unit since we mainly camp in Texas and the summers can be over 100 degrees will this a/c keep the trailer comfortable?

Old 06-24-2012, 12:41 PM   #2
Tool Hoarder

1965 30' Sovereign
West , California
Go with the 15000 btu. Most people with the 13.5k wish they did.

My frame and floor restoration thread

My rennovation Blog
marzboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 01:07 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Quesnel , British Columbia
If it doesn't keep up, you can always add a second A/C... If you use the awnings and find a bit of shade really helps keep the unit cooler.
Old 06-24-2012, 01:42 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1956 16' Bubble
1947 22' Liner
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Go with a 15000...you will need it. Try to negotiate a street side and rear Zip Dee into the purchase deal. Those awnings make a difference around here. I also use a small fan to move the cool air around occasionally.
Old 06-24-2012, 01:46 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Rowlett , Texas
Summer camping in Texas

We have an 11k that came with our 23 foot safari.

We did a week of "summer" camping last year... temps in the 97 to 102 range

it struggles to cool down the trailer once you stop for the day, especially in an unshaded campsite...

the days we were staying overnight it seemed to get things comfortable about 2 am after running for 8 hours or so.

the days we were in fixed position at the beach, it was nominally cooler inside during the day, got comfortable after the sun was gone down but this was running it continually.

I think that if I were going to do a lot of summer camping in Texas and with a 27 foot AS and I had the money I (IMO) would definately go for the 15K and in most likelihood, a second 15k unit... otherwise you are going to be faced with being uncomfortable most of the evening if you are in a non shaded campsite.

clearly, camping in a wooded campsite with plenty of shade, preferably with a breeze will be your best bet....
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 02:02 PM   #6
kds
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Frederickburg , Texas
We also a have 27 FB. Our AS came with the 15 K and I'm glad it did. We lived in our AS last year from Aug. 1 to Nov 30, full time in Fredericksburg, TX. We had a small tree that gave some shade to the back of the pano window late in the afternoon. During the heat of the day our one AC consistently kept the temp about 20 degrees cooler that the outside temp. So, doing the 110 days ( and living in Tx last summer you know that was a real number) the inside of the trailer would get to about 90.

I put a small fan in the back and the front to keep the air moving. It was bearable and I just made sure that if I needed to do any errands--I did them in the heat of the day so I was out and about when it was the hottest. I did not use my oven (which made it nice----the not having to cook thing) and we usually grilled outside for dinner since it was cooler.

We do not have a street side awning but it's next on the list. All in all, it wasn't too bad. Sometimes you just do what you have to do. We were plenty cool at night, kept it on about 70 and were just fine.

If you read many AC threads, 20 degrees below the outside temp seems pretty normal for most of us.

Wishing you luck and let's hope this summer in Texas is not like the last one.

kds