Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-15-2015, 10:24 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
z , North Carolina
Lockn Music Festival, Arrington, VA

Well I had one of the best weekends I have had in a very long time. I attended the Lockn festival this past wknd with my wife, oldest son, and daughter. Mallory is a music major (percussion) so she was tickled pink. We are serious music lovers in this family. An absoluute blast we had! Unfortunately, a microburst ripped up the vendor tents about 20 min before we go there, so day one was completely cancelled. I did not see my beloved Little Feat. That's a whole 'nother story.

I saw SO many AS's there. I talked to as many owners as I could. Most were not members, but had heard of airforums. Best story was from a couple in their 30's. They were in a 1977 International 30' I think. Their grandfather suggested they take his AS out of the barn to attend the show. Never mind the fact that it had been sitting in that barn for 24 years. He put new tires & batteries on it, checked her out thoroughly, and away they went! Amazing. Even in the artists little "corral" of their own vehicles behind the main stages, I saw 6 different AS's on Saturday alone. More on Sunday.

I am hoarse from screaming. Government Mule played just 60 yards from our trailer until almost 4 in the am. Widespread Panic was just sensational. Tedeschi Trucks band played with Leon Russel & Chris Robinson of the Black Crows. The harmony was incredible. Anders Osborne was off the charts! Robert Plant closed the show on Sunday. He was simply amazing! And yes ladies, he does still "have it"! The emphasis was definitely on blues and jamband sessions, but most of all, it was about music & meeting new friends. We met a couple & their dad in a 5'er and we never separated. We had so much in common with them. They only live 20 min from our house. Chuck, their dad, looks just like Santa Clause, and has a better attitude than Santa. Kay really hit it off with Megan, and they took to our kids like they were theirs. So gracious & kind. Super people, that would give you the shirt off of their back. Always great to make new friends. God is good!

Can't wait until next year. That's one festival, you DON'T want to miss!
FishinHatteras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 06:18 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2021 25' International
Full timer , Virginia
We're campsites first come/first serve; or if reserve how far ahead did you have to inquire? This, along with Galax are the two in the state I'd want to visit some year.

2011 Airstream International Serenity 28' - 30a/taupe
2013 Ford F150 v6-ecoboost with max tow and HD payload packages
IanPoulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 08:18 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
Currently Looking...
Lynchburg , Virginia
We were there in the 28' Argosy. Right beside the Section B marker. Do you have the Airstream with what looked like a solar strip down the side?
bacnmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 08:19 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
Currently Looking...
Lynchburg , Virginia
Our 3rd Lockn. We have camped in our Argosy for 10 years. 9 Floydfests and many others in between. Festy?
Old 09-17-2015, 08:21 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
Currently Looking...
Lynchburg , Virginia
You have to get in line. With the storm this year that line was mobile and lasted over 24 hours. Every parking lot in Lynchburg was full on Thursday.
Old 09-17-2015, 10:52 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
Salem , Virginia
We counted 13 AS's not including ours. It was great to see so many in one place that wasn't a designated rally. Look me up next year, I have a customer that owns a big lot 1.5 miles from the entrance. We met up with one other AS and four other friends with SOB campers and we were able to camp there on Thursday night as well when the show was canceled. Another couple AS's would always be welcome to join us!
JConsroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 11:31 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
z , North Carolina
Hey!

Argy,
I came over and talked to your husband I thought! I think it was on Saturday am I came over to chat. We were also in lot B next to the woods stage. We were parked in the 2nd row of lot B near the entrance to the woods stage area.
Thursday was a fiasco as we ended up moving SIX, yes SIX times. We heard about the Devils Backbone Brewery offering free camping space, so we pounced on it. We were kicked out of the Food Lion parking lot, AND the High School, then the Mall. City stadium was an absolute joke. We were miserable there. We left Devils BB at 4am to get in line. Wish I would have known I had fellow AS Forum folks there. I posted on here months ago asking who was going, but I didn't get a response.
Thats ok, we got it now. Lets all chat, as I am sure all of you are going again next year.
Kind regards,
Gavin

JConsroe & Argy
Lets exchange e-mail addy's.

Ian,
Campsites w electric were available up until about three months before the show. They did sell out. They made more room, and put up more for sale about 75 days before the show. They sold out of them in one day. I looked on their webpage the day before the show, and they had GA RV camping passes for sale again, but the price had doubled, and there were limited few.
I would keep an eye on their webpage for updates. If you are an alumni of the festival, you can get all tkts at a reduced price. As my wife went last year, we got them at reasonable prices. It does pay to purchase early!
All the best, and..
Sea ya down the road.
Gavin
FishinHatteras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 03:24 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Arvada , Colorado
We hated to miss it. Huge fans of Susan Tedeschi and Derek Trucks; and of course Leon Russell.
Jack46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 08:09 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
I am glad that it was a good festival and you folks had fun.

It is in my backyard but I have yet to go to it.

I will be leaving next Tuesday for the Outer Banks Bluegrass festival and then the next Tuesday for the Wide Open Bluegrass festival in Raleigh, NC. This is my favorite festival. I camp in a downtown parking lot for 5 days of music and use my bike to get around.

The next weekend is the Festy. I will probably go but will commute from Lynchburg.

Contact me if you are interested in any information on any of these festivals.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 09:04 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB International
Nellysford , Virginia
We live about a mile north of Devils Backbone and have a small farm in Roseland. If you ever need a place to camp, we've got tons of room!
We'll be at Festy, but won't be camping.
Old 09-28-2015, 09:23 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
Currently Looking...
Lynchburg , Virginia
Festy in 2 weeks. We like to eat an early lunch. Around 11:30 at Devils Backbone. Form the line at the gate just before 2 and set up camp, all on Thursday.
Old 09-28-2015, 10:31 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2021 25' International
Full timer , Virginia
what weekend is Festy?
IanPoulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 06:02 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
Currently Looking...
Lynchburg , Virginia