Old 07-15-2012, 10:24 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
Life passed before my eyes.

This weekend we went through the same routine many of you did. We got home from work, hooked up, and started our travels to join our friends at the next best rally of our life.

This one was close, only about 90 minutes away. It was an easy drive, but I had never been in this area before. We got off the turnpike, turned south for a 10 mile drive to the campground.

So we're going about 40 in a 50 in the Suburban with the 30' classic in tow. The road is straight, dry, and daylite still. Although a little hilly, I'm in a almost flat area. Up the road a bit, I see what appears to be an unmarked white crown vic oncoming. He turns left in front of me. No big deal, plenty of room.

All the sudden, he stops once he clears the intersection. Odd, but no big deal........ Then he decides to throw it in reverse! Yep, he backed up into my direct path.

My mind went into slow motion. I pride myself on trying to keep an "out" whenever possible. In this case, one did not exist. I'm not about to swerve into oncoming traffic for this guy. I yell to Dawn something, not sure what.

Split second decision was not to slam on brakes. First, I have no idea whats behind me. Second, this would nose dive my truck and potentially cause greater injury to Dawn and myself. So, I hit the brakes conservatively, and prepared for the hit to his passenger side. Quick math would prove I would "win" this hit with 2+ ton of mass colliding with a stopped car sideways.

We seen his lady passenger scream and hold her head. With no room to spare he punched it into drive and we cleared each other.

In short, you can be prepared for anything, but you can fix stupid.

So what did I learn? First, pack fresh underwear in the truck. Second, when loading your tow vehicle, pay attention to what you lay in the backseat or open end of an SUV. I had two bikes, various tools, cooler, and a hedgehog in cage (don't ask).

Now picture that coming forward to the back of your head at 50 MPH. Hmmm.

Kiss your spouse tonight.

Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 10:30 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanB View Post
This weekend we went through the same routine many of you did. We got home from work, hooked up, and started our travels to join our friends at the next best rally of our life.

This one was close, only about 90 minutes away. It was an easy drive, but I had never been in this area before. We got off the turnpike, turned south for a 10 mile drive to the campground.

So we're going about 40 in a 50 in the Suburban with the 30' classic in tow. The road is straight, dry, and daylite still. Although a little hilly, I'm in a almost flat area. Up the road a bit, I see what appears to be an unmarked white crown vic oncoming. He turns left in front of me. No big deal, plenty of room.

All the sudden, he stops once he clears the intersection. Odd, but no big deal........ Then he decides to throw it in reverse! Yep, he backed up into my direct path.

My mind went into slow motion. I pride myself on trying to keep an "out" whenever possible. In this case, one did not exist. I'm not about to swerve into oncoming traffic for this guy. I yell to Dawn something, not sure what.

Split second decision was not to slam on brakes. First, I have no idea whats behind me. Second, this would nose dive my truck and potentially cause greater injury to Dawn and myself. So, I hit the brakes conservatively, and prepared for the hit to his passenger side. Quick math would prove I would "win" this hit with 2+ ton of mass colliding with a stopped car sideways.

We seen his lady passenger scream and hold her head. With no room to spare he punched it into drive and we cleared each other.

In short, you can be prepared for anything, but you can fix stupid.

So what did I learn? First, pack fresh underwear in the truck. Second, when loading your tow vehicle, pay attention to what you lay in the backseat or open end of an SUV. I had two bikes, various tools, cooler, and a hedgehog in cage (don't ask).

Now picture that coming forward to the back of your head at 50 MPH. Hmmm.

Whew, my weekend? Oncoming truck wanting 2/3 of road - My safari slid off the road into a wet ditch - and quickly got back on with no damage but mud in the wheels and steps - YOUR story beats mine! When I pulled into the campground later, I stopped, got out, ran to the trailer and spend a few minutes there "adjusting the wardrobe" before going into the office and paying for my reservation. I wonder how much a new seat would cost for the Silverado?

Paula

Old 07-15-2012, 10:34 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Wow! Glad you and Dawn made it through this unscathed. Thanks for the reminder.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 10:45 PM   #4
Commercial Member

2014 23' FB International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Airslide
Thats an incredible story and it sounds like you made all the best split second decisions.. We are all thankful of the outcome. What was that guy thinking? Totally oblivious to his surroundings.. ugh.

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 01:20 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Frankfurt , Rhein-Main
Very glad to hear that all are fine, even if shaken.
It isn't pretty thinking how close that was.

Very good advice about loose objects in the truck.
Keep safe, tony
Old 07-16-2012, 01:41 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
1960 24' Tradewind
1961 16' Bambi
Oakland , California
We're glad that you and Dawn are safe Dan. How's the hedgehog?
Old 07-16-2012, 01:50 AM   #7
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Unsecured items in vehicles (right down to what is in the pickup truck bed) should be of concern. I remember the laugh I had when the first guy was killed by his IPod . . he survived the vehicle crash, but the IPod was still moving at 70 when it hit his head.

Stupidity on the road has no end. Where I live is the land of illiterates. Don't know what to do in many road situations (don't read, don't have conversations with people who do to consider the effects of rules which govern road behavior; no tools in thinking) thus dumb acts prevail in non-standard situations.

Was returning from a run yesterday (big truck) and prepared to enter a storm front by slowing to below 60-mph. The cold edge of that storm had a bit of hail (light) and

. . sure enough, the cretins (who are also less likely to have auto insurance than the rest of the nation) are coming to a full stop. On the Interstate. All lanes. Under the bridges and just past. This storm was shallow, barely a half-mile. One mile ahead and the road was dry. 75-mph speed limit. Glad to get past them (dodging through several lanes), but

they are out there.

There's just no topping ignorant and stupid when in combination.

So, it ain't about vehicle mass . . it's about steering control and the stability of the combination. Best hitch, best rigging and best brakes/controller with best tires.

More to the point (since we can't teach accident avoidance maneuvering) a hitch that won't allow the trailer to swerve to one side (VPP), the addition of trailer disc brakes -- behind a tow vehicle with disc brakes on all axles (and state of the art brake controller) --

will bring that combination to a full stop faster than the tow vehicle when solo.

And zip up the women's purses. And kids backpacks. That crap flies everywhere.

Don't expect to come a stop only once in an accident. All the electronic accident avoidance gizmos aboard are good when still moving, but disabled if enough damage in a crash prevails. Same for air bags, they're only good one time. It ain't over till the last dumb mother hits you. Keep the seat belts on, and stay in the vehicle.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 02:50 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Traveling and Pet Safety

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanB View Post

So what did I learn? First, pack fresh underwear in the truck. Second, when loading your tow vehicle, pay attention to what you lay in the backseat or open end of an SUV. I had two bikes, various tools, cooler, and a hedgehog in cage (don't ask)...

DanB, I won't ask about your hedgehog in cage... but glad you had your hedgehog in a cage!

Which is a good reminder when traveling with pets... for your and your pet's safety, it's a good idea to keep pets in a cage/crate/carrier secured with a strap.

Addition information: Traveling and Pet Safety.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM2559 Mac in crate in F250.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	442.5 KB
ID:	163234  
Old 07-16-2012, 04:17 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGate View Post

Which is a good reminder when traveling with pets... for your and your pet's safety, it's a good idea to keep pets in a cage/crate/carrier secured with a strap.

Addition information: Traveling and Pet Safety.
And if you have a large dog, consider a harness/seat belt combination...

Accidents happen... Travel safely... Seat belt your dog!

Be Smart - Ride Safe

Old 07-16-2012, 05:57 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
Elyria , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to silverhawk
I am so happy that you are able to tell about this MISS adventure.
There are so many people out there with what on their minds, that it pays to run through scenarios in your own mind on a regular basis. Again so glad that you and yours are safe.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:36 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
That guy's license should be revoked.

Glad you, Dawn, the hedgehog, and the Airstream are all okay!

Rednax, I see it all the time, too. It's like people know how to operate the car and therefore think they know how to drive. I want to get a dash camera to record all of the stupidity I see - mostly aggressive drivers, but also quite a bit of other stupidity. This incident would be a perfect example.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 08:15 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Yoweee! How frightening! Glad everyone is okay.

One of the reasons Doug-the-driver does 99 percent of our driving is that his reflexes are finely honed to deal with anything at any time. We once were coming down a steep hill in Arizona when a large slab of metal roofing appeared in our lane. With oncoming traffic, nowhere to go, Doug deftly and miraculously avoided this and somehow kept us from hurtling over the unprotected embankment.

Good drivers keeps safe from the morons out there.

Maggie
Old 07-16-2012, 08:45 AM   #13
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Here at work (Corps of Engineers) we are required to take a National Safety Council-approved Defensive Driving course every three years. If you haven't had one, find one and take it. Well worth the time and effort. With 31 years of service, I've taken Defensive Driving ten times, and I still pay attention every time.

Plus, depending on your insurance company, taking a Defensive Driving course can save you money on your premiums.

The only problem is, if good drivers always drive defensively, the bad drivers out there never get to learn how bad they really are when everyone is getting well out of their way. Some of them NEED a scary close call once in a while to make them understand their ineptitude.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 12:36 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Frankfurt , Rhein-Main
Concerning loose objects: friends of my girlfriend were recently very badly injured in an accident not of their fault. Their dog died after flying through the front screen. After finding out that they had an un-caged/unrestrained dog in the car their insurance company simply refused cover.

Stay safe everyone, tony