Old 12-23-2014, 09:15 AM   #15
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Hey Pro, I don't get why you need to block both wheels of a dual set. Having driven heavy trucks for many years AND in the Army we would change the outer wheel by driving the inner up onto a block. Won't work on todays highway trucks due to the wheel / lug nut design but for the Army trucks worked nicely. Why can't you drive one or the other ( inner / outer wheel) up onto the block ??

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 09:27 AM   #16
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarlyse View Post
Hey Pro, I don't get why you need to block both wheels of a dual set. Having driven heavy trucks for many years AND in the Army we would change the outer wheel by driving the inner up onto a block. Won't work on todays highway trucks due to the wheel / lug nut design but for the Army trucks worked nicely. Why can't you drive one or the other ( inner / outer wheel) up onto the block ??
Mainly because you're close enough to the GVWR that you run the risk of overloading the blocked-up tire and damaging it.

If it was an empty Sprinter cargo van, I'd try it. But not with a Sprinter B-van.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 03:07 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

1968 30' Sovereign
Woodinville , Washington
I finally found an app for my Android tablet, that lets me enter the length and width of the wheelbase. I lay the tablet on the floor of the van, and using the highest wheel as the zero point, it will tell me how many inches each other

I would love to knew which app you use, please
Old 01-15-2015, 03:31 PM   #18

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleLucy27 View Post
I finally found an app for my Android tablet, that lets me enter the length and width of the wheelbase. I lay the tablet on the floor of the van, and using the highest wheel as the zero point, it will tell me how many inches each other

I would love to knew which app you use, please
I have two— one is called "T3 Chock," which does what yours does, unfortunately only in millimeters, but at 25mm = 1 inch it's an easy conversion in my brain. It has been a while since I last needed it, and had forgotten it was metric only until I actually looked it up just now. I like it because it lets me enter different wheelbase widths front and rear, an essential for duals.

The other is called "Bubble Level" which is exactly what it sounds like, a bullseye level and fore-and-aft and side-to-side linear levels, plus a readout in degrees x and y.

I use Bubble level first, and if it's close enough I don't bother trying to level my Interstate. If it's off by more than a degree or two, I use T3 Chock, and start building Lego-style leveling block ramps.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 01-15-2015, 04:18 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2011 International 684
Koeln , NRW
Level calibrated to Lynx blocks.

You may join the beta here http://www.airforums.com/forums/f317/camper-app-129154.html It includes leveling with the phone inside and the AppleWatch (once available) outside. You may add a 25 US$ wireless accelerometer installed inside and use the phone outside to get directions for leveling etc. Speech output is available too but I believe one needs one of the above combinations to make a convenient leveling tool... The app allows entering wheelbases etc to get directions in inches or metric. I receive a lot of feedback from AS owners, but it is not yet enough, so any help is appreciated.

Harry
Old 01-15-2015, 05:14 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Erie , Colorado
Folks you really should look at Harry's app. I've been beta testing for several weeks. Pretty amazing app. I will have the wireless accelerometer tomorrow for testing.

Has lots of features, easy to use, graphic depiction of your TV/TT rig and once you enter your weights you can see what happens if you shift weight.

TV performance geeks can plug in an OBDI unit to their TV and see performance data on the iPhone.

And this is just scratching the surface of the features.

Couple Harry's app with the Wireless Backup Camera from Fred Stokes at RV Rearview Cameras and you would have a real nice combo system.
ProPride
NVPN
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 05:22 PM   #21

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaynes755 View Post
Folks you really should look at Harry's app. I've been beta testing for several weeks. Pretty amazing app. I will have the wireless accelerometer tomorrow for testing.
It may be, but I'm not still going to give up my Android devices just for that one app. When I see an Android version I'll jump on the bandwagon with you.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 01-15-2015, 07:25 PM   #22
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
I'm just NOT as exact in my leveling as some of youz are. I do use a level and can get it close with some wood blocks I carry. We walk down the center and if it feels OK, it's
OK. That's IT. Works for me.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 08:27 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Erie , Colorado
I got a set of the Andersen Leveler, looks like a curved piece of plastic. On the FC25 I used a bit of 3M Hook and Loop and would place one of the electronic levels on the front plexi window when setting up for camp. Put the Andersons down, turn on the level and slowly pull forward until the lights turned green. Hit the parking brake and park the truck. Install the wheel chocks (RotoChocks) on both sides and then go through unhitching.

Being able to really see the level as it happened made it a snap.

The app I'm testing for Harry will actually tell you how low on the roll axis you are. So will help eliminate what frustrated the process using blocks or legos of setting them up, pulling on, only to find out I had to much or to little. Way to much back and forth. The Andersens and the electronic level system solved that.
ProPride
NVPN
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 11:49 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2017 19' International
Houston , Texas
bubble level on hitch

I'm new to AS and to leveling. I have been using a torpedo level on the floor of my International side to side, then front to back. When I have it nice and level the small bubble level on the hitch is way off. I suspect there must be some way to calibrate it, but not sure how.

Anyone have any experience with these?

Thanks!

Take the long way home.....

WBICC# 5400
jrporter7702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 12:17 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2016 23' International
Salem , Oregon
I just use the app on my Android phone and I am sure Apple has it too. Called Bubble

Works great must of us have a smart phone.

Dave
Old 02-09-2017, 01:09 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
Some of these solutions just seem to be too much work. I installed this recently:
http://www.loveyourrv.com/levelmatep...ng-aid-review/

Use with Anderson leveling blocks, and I can sit in my truck with the app on my iphone (works on Android too) and see when I'm level side to side. Tells me before I start how many inches I'm off. Then I unhook, keeps track the unhitching height, and lower until screen show level front to back.

Really helps because I have to do this by myself. My wife takes the dog for a walk as soon as we arrive