Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-07-2019, 06:31 AM   #1
Rivet Master
 
lsbrodsky's Avatar
 
2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 2,179
"Less is More" ?

Rather than hijack another thread I thought I would start a new one with this quote from the other thread:
"It is difficult to boondock in a new small AS with an "all electric" fridge, especially with limited roof space for solar panels. The good ol' "Less is More" variety of AS is fading away. Sad IMO.

Peter"

I have only been an Airstream owner for 6+ years but I note some dissonance with Airstream's insertion of technology. I, too, wonder whether "less is more" is better for camping, as opposed to glamping. An example raised in another thread is CZONE and whether it will be supported in the long term since its predecessor was not.
A lot of this stuff is "cool" and maybe Airstream has to add this stuff to keep up with other brands, but it seems that it is making owner maintenance and remote camping more difficult, even obsolete eventually. I would offer this opinion; if you have an older trailer without the newer bells and whistles, you better maintain it and hold on to it.
Any agreement?
Larry
__________________

lsbrodsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 06:47 AM   #2
Rivet Master
 
1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 3,151
Blog Entries: 1
I agree that I am going to hold on to our older camper and keep it. I agree that I do not want to have to learn about all the electrics in the newer Airstreams.

But... with lithium batteries, a battery monitior, and a generator or solar power the 12 volt fridge should boondock okay and it will probably work better and take less space than the LP one does. I think the compressor fridge will be well accepted.

We spent a good number of nights without power this summer and I found I have to run the generator a lot even with the propane fridge. A little more run time for an electric fridge probably would not have been big deal. The lead acid batteries seemed to be the main cause of long run times with the generator. If the lithium take power quicker that would cut down on run time.
__________________

Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 08:40 AM   #3
Rivet Master
 
A W Warn's Avatar

 
2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County , North Carolina
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 3,958
I agree!!!
If I was in the market for an Airstream I would be shopping for older models, without the gadgets.
I do not want any appliance in my trailer, other than TV and radio, to connect and share data. I do not want a computer of any kind to control or interconnect any of the systems within the trailer. Other than those necessary circuit boards within the appliances, I do not want any complex electronics. (solar panels, controllers, and batteries are not what I am talking about)
Though I understand some people, probably most younger than me, want that technology. I do not!!! I will not pay for something I do not want, so a new Airstream is not in my future.
When something breaks I want to understand the issue and be able to repair it myself. That's why I have 20 year old trailers instead of new.
__________________
Alan
2014 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab 5.3L maximum trailering package
A W Warn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 08:43 AM   #4
.-. -...
 
Adventure.AS's Avatar
 
2017 25' International
Port Dover , ON Canada
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 1,628
Quote:
Originally Posted by A W Warn View Post
I agree!!!
If I was in the market for an Airstream I would be shopping for older models, without the gadgets.
I do not want any appliance in my trailer, other than TV and radio, to connect and share data. I do not want a computer of any kind to control or interconnect any of the systems within the trailer. Other than those necessary circuit boards within the appliances, I do not want any complex electronics.
Though I understand some people, probably most younger than me, want that technology. I do not!!! I will not pay for something I do not want, so a new Airstream is not in my future.
When something breaks I want to understand the issue and be able to repair it myself. That's why I have 20 year old trailers instead of new.
Do you use 20 year old TV too?
__________________
Ray B.
Adventure.AS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 09:28 AM   #5
Rivet Master
 
lsbrodsky's Avatar
 
2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 2,179
No, but small TV's are cheap and easily replaced...anywhere. An electric awning and its controls, the CZONE trailer system, and whatever else are not cheap, not easily serviced anywhere. Got the same problem with vehicles these days..too much is electronic and if it hiccups you need a dealer. Of course vehicle dealers are everywhere, almost. Not so for Airstream dealers.

Larry
lsbrodsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 09:57 AM   #6
Rivet Master
 
A W Warn's Avatar

 
2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County , North Carolina
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 3,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure.AS View Post
Do you use 20 year old TV too?
I would, if the tow vehicle did not wear out. I have gone 10 years+.
Motor, transmission, etc. don't wear out in a trailer.

Comparing tow vehicle to a travel trailer is like …. well useless.
And, that was not the OP's subject.
__________________
Alan
2014 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab 5.3L maximum trailering package
A W Warn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 10:23 AM   #7
Rivet Master
 
Lily&Me's Avatar

 
2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 15,298
I like the simpler, no bells and whistles, manual models, which is why when I replaces my Interstate last year I was only interested in older models.

More adaptable to boondocking, less to break and go wrong.

Maggie
__________________
🏡 🚐 Cherish and appreciate those you love. This moment could be your last.🌹🐚
Lily&Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 10:25 AM   #8
Retired paddler
 
4mer Paddler's Avatar
 
1993 29' Excella
Brighton , Ontario
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbrodsky View Post
I would offer this opinion; if you have an older trailer without the newer bells and whistles, you better maintain it and hold on to it.
Any agreement?
Larry
Agree whole-heartedly. Wouldn’t switch my 25+ year old “home on the road” for a new one. Two deep cycle flooded cells allow me to boondock easily for 5-6 days as long as there’s propane for the fridge.
Additionally, I read about doors falling off due to loose screws, rivets popping inside and out, electronics systems just not cooperating, and am thankful that mine hasn’t exhibited any of those traits. The little bit of work that has to be done to maintain it isn’t anywhere near a burden.
__________________
Cathy and Hans
1993 Excella 29' w/Hensley
2011 GMC SIerra 2500HD SLT
4mer Paddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 12:09 PM   #9
Rivet Master
 
A W Warn's Avatar

 
2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County , North Carolina
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 3,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure.AS View Post
Do you use 20 year old TV too?
When I re-read, I thought I might have responded inappropriately to your remark, about the wrong subject (TV=tow vehicle instead of TV=television).

When the television in the trailer stops working I understand that. Toss it and get a new one. Though, it would be for my wife since I don't watch TV very much.

I use the internet constantly for entertainment, but I do not want that connection to be dependent or permanently connected to my trailer. I can't justify duplication, since I'm not using the trailer every day.

I have Wi-Fi built into both my truck and car. I don't use those either.
__________________
Alan
2014 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab 5.3L maximum trailering package
A W Warn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 12:14 PM   #10
New Member
 
Portsmouth , Rhode Island
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 1
Correcting the basics

This is my first response to a thread. After reading this forum for a year while searching for a used Airstream, we opted for a 2007 27ft Classic. This was our first Airstream, not our first travel trailer. Many factors went into the decision, however when it came down to it, reliability complaints and cost of a new model were the largest factors in deciding to purchase used. I would not hesitate to repair any system in this camper. Less so with newer models. I find it interesting that many owners return to Jackson for repairs as a rite of passage to owning a new and very expensive trailer. It seems to me be at odds with everything Airstream is suppose to encompass. The new systems to monitor trailer performance or comfort are certainly tempting upgrades, however if basic design and construction techniques are not improved then the windows will still leak and the sub-floors will continue to need replacing.

Steve
Rotorhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 12:15 PM   #11
lucca53
 
lucca53's Avatar
 
1973 31' Excella 500
2004 22' Safari
2006 25' Safari
napa , California
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 95
Hi all first of all what new small model Airstream are you talking about that has a only electric fridge all the ones that we have sold are electric and propane? I enjoy vintage Airstreams but for the brand to continue we need to make and sell new ones,There are many Airstream tastes out there as well as clients that trade there Airstream every few years love them lol..So for those that love and keep their old or vintage trailers love you guys but those that buy new love you more.....
lucca53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 12:39 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member
 
2018 16' Sport
St. Louis , Missouri
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 59
I have a 2018 sport 16 that I bought used. It has no TV or microwave, 110 /propane refrigerator.
We have 160 watts of solar on the roof and two 12v flooded batteries.
1- you should always buy a used RV. Let someone else pay for the depreciation. I was amazed at the number of 1-4 year old units for sale when we were shopping.
2- we have boondocked for 4 days, with no issue. One time we experienced multiple cloudy days and we had to conserve energy.
3- I welcome technology. I wasn't shopping for solar but it is by far the best feature of our trailer. I have built a solar suitcase, a bit too heavy, 200watt, and in process of integrating it into the solar controller in the trailer.
4 I would like to add a battery monitor. Any suggestions, is victron the best option?

Go used, add some solar, get the technology that you are comfortable with.
Sport 16 STL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 12:51 PM   #13
Rivet Master
 
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 11,517
Thanks for the new thread, Larry . . . preaching to the choir here . . .



Wish we still had the old 1985 Sovereign 25' with rear corner bed, and roof flue for the fridge. That was a great floor plan IMO. Unfortunately, we sold it many moons ago, plus the new tow vehicle van could not tow it. The new FC20 was a compromise but it has worked out well, as we are not nearly as mobile as we once were.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucca53 View Post
Hi all first of all what new small model Airstream are you talking about that has a only electric fridge . . .
. . .
This thread gives the basics:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f48/...-s-202565.html

Happy trails!

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 12:51 PM   #14
Stay CazuaL
 
cazual6's Avatar
 
2018 25' Flying Cloud
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 772
Images: 1
I think it is age an gap issue.

I'm 42, prefer modern technologies. Maintaining/Replacing/Upgrading is relative. I take everything to dealer I can not do myself.

I wouldn't trade in the modern tech for old school. I am NOT saying old school is BAD. I just prefer modern tech.

Modern techs means adaption, and I believe this maybe the obstacle. Hence age gap.

This is my humble opinion, this is not a fact.
__________________
"No job is so simple that it cannot be done wrong."
"Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege."
"Either I will find a way, or I will make one."
WBCCI 9164
https://www.facebook.com/groups/2284022111820203/
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 01:00 PM   #15
Rivet Master
 
lsbrodsky's Avatar
 
2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 2,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by cazual6 View Post
I think it is age an gap issue.

I'm 42, prefer modern technologies. Maintaining/Replacing/Upgrading is relative. I take everything to dealer I can not do myself.

I wouldn't trade in the modern tech for old school. I am NOT saying old school is BAD. I just prefer modern tech.

Modern techs means adaption, and I believe this maybe the obstacle. Hence age gap.

This is my humble opinion, this is not a fact.
I am afraid I disagree. With a birth year of 1948, I am clearly a Boomer. I love tech! I cannot get enough of it at home and that was also the case on my sailboat. I was always selling stuff on EBay so I could install the latest electronics. But, those boat systems were really built well, to sail across oceans and very rare problems were supported by the manufacturer and many, many full-service boatyards. I think about this differently on my Airstream. I have not observed a similar level of reliability with anything on my trailer, the support network is very sparse, and the thought of all systems out of service because a computer control panel failed is just scary. Camping may have turned me into a Luddite, at least while I am camping.
Larry
lsbrodsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 01:04 PM   #16
Rivet Master
 
mayco's Avatar

 
1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 3,710
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbrodsky View Post
Rather than hijack another thread I thought I would start a new one with this quote from the other thread:
"It is difficult to boondock in a new small AS with an "all electric" fridge, especially with limited roof space for solar panels. The good ol' "Less is More" variety of AS is fading away. Sad IMO.

Peter"

I have only been an Airstream owner for 6+ years but I note some dissonance with Airstream's insertion of technology. I, too, wonder whether "less is more" is better for camping, as opposed to glamping. An example raised in another thread is CZONE and whether it will be supported in the long term since its predecessor was not.
A lot of this stuff is "cool" and maybe Airstream has to add this stuff to keep up with other brands, but it seems that it is making owner maintenance and remote camping more difficult, even obsolete eventually. I would offer this opinion; if you have an older trailer without the newer bells and whistles, you better maintain it and hold on to it.
Any agreement?
Larry
Wouldn't trade my 1982 Turbo Diesel Motorhome for anything offered by Airstream today. I do as much maintenance thatI can with my skill set, very rarely does it go to a shop. I was reading a thread recently where I "think" it was saying that the macerator system was down on an Interstate and there was no way to dump the black tank by gravity feed????? Are you kidding? Maybe I read the thread wrong but I sure thought that was what it said.
I couldn't believe it. Another example of less is more.
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 01:16 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member
 
2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 390
So I’m wondering if everyone bought used would there be so much demand that RV manufacturers would produce used?

On the tech stuff I agree with Isbrodsky. I like it in my car and home where it’s easily updated. In the Airstream it’s just something to ruin your weekend.
Shiny16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 01:29 PM   #18
Rivet Master
 
2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 1,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorhd View Post
This is my first response to a thread. After reading this forum for a year while searching for a used Airstream, we opted for a 2007 27ft Classic. This was our first Airstream, not our first travel trailer. Many factors went into the decision, however when it came down to it, reliability complaints and cost of a new model were the largest factors in deciding to purchase used. I would not hesitate to repair any system in this camper. Less so with newer models. I find it interesting that many owners return to Jackson for repairs as a rite of passage to owning a new and very expensive trailer. It seems to me be at odds with everything Airstream is suppose to encompass. The new systems to monitor trailer performance or comfort are certainly tempting upgrades, however if basic design and construction techniques are not improved then the windows will still leak and the sub-floors will continue to need replacing.

Steve


Welcome to the forum Steve!
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 01:32 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

 
Currently Looking...
Prescott , Arizona
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbrodsky View Post
The good ol' "Less is More" variety of AS is fading away. Sad IMO.

Peter"
Larry
The lament of a dying market. Companies have to move forward or they are going to be left behind. While this thread has a sympathetic audience; how many of you are going to buy any new Airstream, whistles or no?

Airstream needs to move on or it will become an anachronism, something no company wants to be. Airstream's purchasing of Nest was an early step in acquiring a new younger customer demographic. The new offerings are a continuation in that direction.

It is your choice, grumble about the future or sit back and enjoy the new energy.

Mike

Not to
new2trailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 02:05 PM   #20
Rivet Master
 
lsbrodsky's Avatar
 
2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 2,179
You know, I wonder if Airstream has a "delete" option for a new order? Remember when you could order a car with radio delete or A/C delete or heater delete? I suppose that is too much to ask...but with what they are building now and the cost of same, I assure you that I will never buy new. But they don't care about that.
Larry
__________________

lsbrodsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
See more. Do more. Live more...? Mike91208 Airstream Lifestyle 2 01-26-2012 07:56 AM
Less LEDs more light Dan@LED4RV Commercial Listings 18 07-16-2010 11:17 AM
Picked up my new 30' bunkhouse, and returned... more or less triumphantly Mirthless Our Community 6 04-01-2009 07:10 PM
Hot Air, More or Less. Antique Pedaler Tires 2 10-01-2006 04:37 PM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
×