Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-07-2019, 05:31 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
"Less is More" ?

Rather than hijack another thread I thought I would start a new one with this quote from the other thread:
"It is difficult to boondock in a new small AS with an "all electric" fridge, especially with limited roof space for solar panels. The good ol' "Less is More" variety of AS is fading away. Sad IMO.

Peter"

I have only been an Airstream owner for 6+ years but I note some dissonance with Airstream's insertion of technology. I, too, wonder whether "less is more" is better for camping, as opposed to glamping. An example raised in another thread is CZONE and whether it will be supported in the long term since its predecessor was not.
A lot of this stuff is "cool" and maybe Airstream has to add this stuff to keep up with other brands, but it seems that it is making owner maintenance and remote camping more difficult, even obsolete eventually. I would offer this opinion; if you have an older trailer without the newer bells and whistles, you better maintain it and hold on to it.
Any agreement?
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 05:47 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I agree that I am going to hold on to our older camper and keep it. I agree that I do not want to have to learn about all the electrics in the newer Airstreams.

But... with lithium batteries, a battery monitior, and a generator or solar power the 12 volt fridge should boondock okay and it will probably work better and take less space than the LP one does. I think the compressor fridge will be well accepted.

We spent a good number of nights without power this summer and I found I have to run the generator a lot even with the propane fridge. A little more run time for an electric fridge probably would not have been big deal. The lead acid batteries seemed to be the main cause of long run times with the generator. If the lithium take power quicker that would cut down on run time.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 07:40 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
I agree!!!
If I was in the market for an Airstream I would be shopping for older models, without the gadgets.
I do not want any appliance in my trailer, other than TV and radio, to connect and share data. I do not want a computer of any kind to control or interconnect any of the systems within the trailer. Other than those necessary circuit boards within the appliances, I do not want any complex electronics. (solar panels, controllers, and batteries are not what I am talking about)
Though I understand some people, probably most younger than me, want that technology. I do not!!! I will not pay for something I do not want, so a new Airstream is not in my future.
When something breaks I want to understand the issue and be able to repair it myself. That's why I have 20 year old trailers instead of new.
Old 11-07-2019, 07:43 AM   #4
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by A W Warn View Post
I agree!!!
If I was in the market for an Airstream I would be shopping for older models, without the gadgets.
I do not want any appliance in my trailer, other than TV and radio, to connect and share data. I do not want a computer of any kind to control or interconnect any of the systems within the trailer. Other than those necessary circuit boards within the appliances, I do not want any complex electronics.
Though I understand some people, probably most younger than me, want that technology. I do not!!! I will not pay for something I do not want, so a new Airstream is not in my future.
When something breaks I want to understand the issue and be able to repair it myself. That's why I have 20 year old trailers instead of new.
Do you use 20 year old TV too?
Old 11-07-2019, 08:28 AM   #5
Rivet Master

No, but small TV's are cheap and easily replaced...anywhere. An electric awning and its controls, the CZONE trailer system, and whatever else are not cheap, not easily serviced anywhere. Got the same problem with vehicles these days..too much is electronic and if it hiccups you need a dealer. Of course vehicle dealers are everywhere, almost. Not so for Airstream dealers.

Larry
Old 11-07-2019, 08:57 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure.AS View Post
I would, if the tow vehicle did not wear out. I have gone 10 years+.
Motor, transmission, etc. don't wear out in a trailer.

Comparing tow vehicle to a travel trailer is like …. well useless.
And, that was not the OP's subject.
Old 11-07-2019, 09:23 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I like the simpler, no bells and whistles, manual models, which is why when I replaces my Interstate last year I was only interested in older models.

More adaptable to boondocking, less to break and go wrong.

Maggie
Old 11-07-2019, 09:25 AM   #8
Retired paddler

1993 29' Excella
Brighton , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbrodsky View Post
I would offer this opinion; if you have an older trailer without the newer bells and whistles, you better maintain it and hold on to it.
Any agreement?
Larry
Agree whole-heartedly. Wouldn’t switch my 25+ year old “home on the road” for a new one. Two deep cycle flooded cells allow me to boondock easily for 5-6 days as long as there’s propane for the fridge.
Additionally, I read about doors falling off due to loose screws, rivets popping inside and out, electronics systems just not cooperating, and am thankful that mine hasn’t exhibited any of those traits. The little bit of work that has to be done to maintain it isn’t anywhere near a burden.
4mer Paddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 11:09 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure.AS View Post
When I re-read, I thought I might have responded inappropriately to your remark, about the wrong subject (TV=tow vehicle instead of TV=television).

When the television in the trailer stops working I understand that. Toss it and get a new one. Though, it would be for my wife since I don't watch TV very much.

I use the internet constantly for entertainment, but I do not want that connection to be dependent or permanently connected to my trailer. I can't justify duplication, since I'm not using the trailer every day.

I have Wi-Fi built into both my truck and car. I don't use those either.
Old 11-07-2019, 11:14 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Portsmouth , Rhode Island
Correcting the basics

This is my first response to a thread. After reading this forum for a year while searching for a used Airstream, we opted for a 2007 27ft Classic. This was our first Airstream, not our first travel trailer. Many factors went into the decision, however when it came down to it, reliability complaints and cost of a new model were the largest factors in deciding to purchase used. I would not hesitate to repair any system in this camper. Less so with newer models. I find it interesting that many owners return to Jackson for repairs as a rite of passage to owning a new and very expensive trailer. It seems to me be at odds with everything Airstream is suppose to encompass. The new systems to monitor trailer performance or comfort are certainly tempting upgrades, however if basic design and construction techniques are not improved then the windows will still leak and the sub-floors will continue to need replacing.

Steve
Rotorhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 11:15 AM   #11
lucca53

1973 31' Excella 500
2004 22' Safari
2006 25' Safari
napa , California
Hi all first of all what new small model Airstream are you talking about that has a only electric fridge all the ones that we have sold are electric and propane? I enjoy vintage Airstreams but for the brand to continue we need to make and sell new ones,There are many Airstream tastes out there as well as clients that trade there Airstream every few years love them lol..So for those that love and keep their old or vintage trailers love you guys but those that buy new love you more.....
lucca53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 11:39 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
St. Louis , Missouri
I have a 2018 sport 16 that I bought used. It has no TV or microwave, 110 /propane refrigerator.
We have 160 watts of solar on the roof and two 12v flooded batteries.
1- you should always buy a used RV. Let someone else pay for the depreciation. I was amazed at the number of 1-4 year old units for sale when we were shopping.
2- we have boondocked for 4 days, with no issue. One time we experienced multiple cloudy days and we had to conserve energy.
3- I welcome technology. I wasn't shopping for solar but it is by far the best feature of our trailer. I have built a solar suitcase, a bit too heavy, 200watt, and in process of integrating it into the solar controller in the trailer.
4 I would like to add a battery monitor. Any suggestions, is victron the best option?

Go used, add some solar, get the technology that you are comfortable with.
Sport 16 STL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 11:51 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks for the new thread, Larry . . . preaching to the choir here . . .

Wish we still had the old 1985 Sovereign 25' with rear corner bed, and roof flue for the fridge. That was a great floor plan IMO. Unfortunately, we sold it many moons ago, plus the new tow vehicle van could not tow it. The new FC20 was a compromise but it has worked out well, as we are not nearly as mobile as we once were.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucca53 View Post
Hi all first of all what new small model Airstream are you talking about that has a only electric fridge . . .
. . .
This thread gives the basics:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f48/...-s-202565.html

Happy trails!

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 11:51 AM   #14
Stay CazuaL

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
I think it is age an gap issue.

I'm 42, prefer modern technologies. Maintaining/Replacing/Upgrading is relative. I take everything to dealer I can not do myself.

I wouldn't trade in the modern tech for old school. I am NOT saying old school is BAD. I just prefer modern tech.

Modern techs means adaption, and I believe this maybe the obstacle. Hence age gap.

This is my humble opinion, this is not a fact.
*Virtual campfire at https://www.facebook.com/groups/Airs...dictsforAdults
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 12:00 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by cazual6 View Post
I think it is age an gap issue.

I'm 42, prefer modern technologies. Maintaining/Replacing/Upgrading is relative. I take everything to dealer I can not do myself.

I wouldn't trade in the modern tech for old school. I am NOT saying old school is BAD. I just prefer modern tech.

Modern techs means adaption, and I believe this maybe the obstacle. Hence age gap.

This is my humble opinion, this is not a fact.
I am afraid I disagree. With a birth year of 1948, I am clearly a Boomer. I love tech! I cannot get enough of it at home and that was also the case on my sailboat. I was always selling stuff on EBay so I could install the latest electronics. But, those boat systems were really built well, to sail across oceans and very rare problems were supported by the manufacturer and many, many full-service boatyards. I think about this differently on my Airstream. I have not observed a similar level of reliability with anything on my trailer, the support network is very sparse, and the thought of all systems out of service because a computer control panel failed is just scary. Camping may have turned me into a Luddite, at least while I am camping.
Larry
Old 11-07-2019, 12:04 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Quote:
Rather than hijack another thread I thought I would start a new one with this quote from the other thread:
"It is difficult to boondock in a new small AS with an "all electric" fridge, especially with limited roof space for solar panels. The good ol' "Less is More" variety of AS is fading away. Sad IMO.

Peter"

I have only been an Airstream owner for 6+ years but I note some dissonance with Airstream's insertion of technology. I, too, wonder whether "less is more" is better for camping, as opposed to glamping. An example raised in another thread is CZONE and whether it will be supported in the long term since its predecessor was not.
A lot of this stuff is "cool" and maybe Airstream has to add this stuff to keep up with other brands, but it seems that it is making owner maintenance and remote camping more difficult, even obsolete eventually. I would offer this opinion; if you have an older trailer without the newer bells and whistles, you better maintain it and hold on to it.
Any agreement?
Larry
Wouldn't trade my 1982 Turbo Diesel Motorhome for anything offered by Airstream today. I do as much maintenance thatI can with my skill set, very rarely does it go to a shop. I was reading a thread recently where I "think" it was saying that the macerator system was down on an Interstate and there was no way to dump the black tank by gravity feed????? Are you kidding? Maybe I read the thread wrong but I sure thought that was what it said.
I couldn't believe it. Another example of less is more.
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 12:16 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
So I’m wondering if everyone bought used would there be so much demand that RV manufacturers would produce used?

On the tech stuff I agree with Isbrodsky. I like it in my car and home where it’s easily updated. In the Airstream it’s just something to ruin your weekend.
Shiny16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 12:29 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorhd View Post
This is my first response to a thread. After reading this forum for a year while searching for a used Airstream, we opted for a 2007 27ft Classic. This was our first Airstream, not our first travel trailer. Many factors went into the decision, however when it came down to it, reliability complaints and cost of a new model were the largest factors in deciding to purchase used. I would not hesitate to repair any system in this camper. Less so with newer models. I find it interesting that many owners return to Jackson for repairs as a rite of passage to owning a new and very expensive trailer. It seems to me be at odds with everything Airstream is suppose to encompass. The new systems to monitor trailer performance or comfort are certainly tempting upgrades, however if basic design and construction techniques are not improved then the windows will still leak and the sub-floors will continue to need replacing.

Steve

Welcome to the forum Steve!
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 12:32 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Prescott , Arizona
Quote:
The good ol' "Less is More" variety of AS is fading away. Sad IMO.

Peter"
Larry
The lament of a dying market. Companies have to move forward or they are going to be left behind. While this thread has a sympathetic audience; how many of you are going to buy any new Airstream, whistles or no?

Airstream needs to move on or it will become an anachronism, something no company wants to be. Airstream's purchasing of Nest was an early step in acquiring a new younger customer demographic. The new offerings are a continuation in that direction.

It is your choice, grumble about the future or sit back and enjoy the new energy.

Mike

Not to
new2trailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 01:05 PM   #20
Rivet Master

You know, I wonder if Airstream has a "delete" option for a new order? Remember when you could order a car with radio delete or A/C delete or heater delete? I suppose that is too much to ask...but with what they are building now and the cost of same, I assure you that I will never buy new. But they don't care about that.
Larry