Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-09-2019, 11:54 PM   #41
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1973 21' Globetrotter
1975 26' Argosy 26
Vista , California
As to going to Jackson center for service, It is a darn good reason to go there. I have taken the tour twice, I hope to do it again. And They have the parts there, to do my own service.
bibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 06:22 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by cru-in View Post
Remote Temp Monitor (to make sure RV is cool for the Dog when we are away).
Which one are you using?
Old 11-10-2019, 06:28 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbrodsky View Post
Peter

I have only been an Airstream owner for 6+ years but I note some dissonance with Airstream's insertion of technology. I, too, wonder whether "less is more" is better for camping, as opposed to glamping. An example raised in another thread is CZONE and whether it will be supported in the long term since its predecessor was not.
A lot of this stuff is "cool" and maybe Airstream has to add this stuff to keep up with other brands, but it seems that it is making owner maintenance and remote camping more difficult, even obsolete eventually. I would offer this opinion; if you have an older trailer without the newer bells and whistles, you better maintain it and hold on to it.
Any agreement?
Larry
Agreed.

I think all systems should be as simple as possible and accessible. I also want to be capable of repairing systems on the road within reason.
Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 06:51 AM   #44
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted S. View Post
Agreed.

I think all systems should be as simple as possible and accessible. I also want to be capable of repairing systems on the road within reason.
Yes, I think that was a big part of what I was thinking. There are already a host of things that happen that you cannot repair on the road. For me, it has been things like failure of the electric element on the water heater, failure of the freshwater tank, but in all cases the trailer has been capable of use until I could fix the problem, at home or at a dealer. I would worry about failure of something that does not allow you to use the trailer or get it home, especially if it is some technology addition. Face it, there are plenty of things you have to fix, repair or replace while out using your Airstream. Technology seems to add some that you cannot.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 05:36 AM   #45
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thumbs up

Well said, Larry.

"Keep it simple, Stu."

"If it are broke, you can fix it."

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 07:50 AM   #46
4 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
CORDOVA , TN
this is an interesting topic.....
Find a way to enjoy life and have fun, every day !
mkcurtiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 08:20 AM   #47
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
"Less is More" ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure.AS View Post
Do you use 20 year old TV too?

Fourteen. [emoji4]

IMHO, Airstream should offer a bare bones trailer in their lineup.

My 72 isn't complicated at all, and it's been near about 100% reliable over five years of heavy use.

It's not stock at all, but its systems are simple and reliable by design.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 11:01 AM   #48
2 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Hermon , Maine
Bare Bones Trailer

I have a 2017 BaseCamp. It has options like Microwave and AC, but does not have TV or stereo. The refrigerator is propane and electric. Solar is built in.

I'm not sure how much more 'bare bones' you want! Airstream saw this need, and responded. Except for having an indoor bathroom, of course!
Kahaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 11:03 AM   #49
2 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Ventura , California
I have an Interstate that comes with electric frig only. I have 3 solar panels with each giving me 100 watts. I also added two more batteries. I boondocking most of the time. With an MPPT controller, I have had no problems. I have a generator, but don't use it because of the noise.
Land Sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 05:36 AM   #50
Old dog new tricks

2017 19' Flying Cloud
Banner elk , North Carolina
To each his own....

Sounds like a gripe session to me...the “old days were better...” sorta thing that makes us oldsters sound cranky. I say to each his own! Personally I think camping with a television, old or new, defeats the purpose of camping. But I’m not going to tell you that you can’t have one. I did fine hauling ice in an ice chest for years so let me swoon over my frig. Lots of folks, lots of models...one size does not fit all.
Let’s spend the complaining energy shining up whatever model we have and seeing the country.
Flying Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 07:43 AM   #51
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Well, the name of the thread is "Less is more", so it's kinda natural that the "oldsters" who might prefer the simple approach might congregate here right?

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 07:52 AM   #52
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
I am certainly old, by my definition and probably any other. But, as I said before, I love embracing technology in my home. I was just pondering whether the introduction or intrusion of technology into a travel trailer was a detriment, primarily because of reliability, maintainability, and obsolescence. Some seem to agree with that so in my ideal world, the "delete" option when ordering new would be welcome.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 06:59 AM   #53
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Talking

Another older band member here . . .

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 12:11 PM   #54
3 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
1970 27' Overlander
SoCal , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorhd View Post
This is my first response to a thread. After reading this forum for a year while searching for a used Airstream, we opted for a 2007 27ft Classic. This was our first Airstream, not our first travel trailer. Many factors went into the decision, however when it came down to it, reliability complaints and cost of a new model were the largest factors in deciding to purchase used. I would not hesitate to repair any system in this camper. Less so with newer models. I find it interesting that many owners return to Jackson for repairs as a rite of passage to owning a new and very expensive trailer. It seems to me be at odds with everything Airstream is suppose to encompass. The new systems to monitor trailer performance or comfort are certainly tempting upgrades, however if basic design and construction techniques are not improved then the windows will still leak and the sub-floors will continue to need replacing.

Steve
Agreed, Steve, Maggie, Larry... We are vintage fans and we don't use a lot of the luxury features in AS trailers, like televisions, our AC, nor high-draw appliances like convection, toaster, hairdryers... And definitely no LED light shows. We still view camping as a relatively low-tech experience. We do have WiFi. My husband knows how to fix most everything, fortunately. But not a lot goes wrong, even with how thoroughly we've used our trailer. Everything that can be manual, is. I have, however, stashed a jack-adapted drill bit away to put in his stocking this Xmas. Cheap thrills...

Honestly? I think a lot of these features work to keep up with the Joneses, and move new Airstreams off the lot. And when it's time to sell, they will appeal in theory to buyers, just like the original buyer. But in practical use, I'm quite satisfied without them, and I see a lot of failure and quirks with these features IRL experience with other Airstream camping friends.

OTOH, I totally believe in buying new if it gives you confidence and you want something that has a warranty. It's the right idea for many. If fixing it yourself is too challenging, it subtracts from the fun.
perri is offline   Reply With Quote