Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2018, 07:43 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Edmond , Oklahoma
Lady Streamers

Is there a forum on here already established for women Airstreamers? I am so proud of hitching up my new flying cloud all by myself and wanted to share. I've enjoyed camping in travel trailers since I was a little girl, when my dad did all the hitching towing and backing up maneuvering. Then when I got married, my husband did it all. Still married, but tired of feeling helpless in this area. I got us all hitched up for our upcoming trip! Next, I'll put him the in passenger's seat for a change!

Lisa
2016 Flying Cloud (mine)
2017 Nissan Titan XD Pro (his)
Lisarhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 09:05 PM   #2
Owners of Willie

2019 27' Globetrotter
Peoria , Illinois
Lady Streamers

I’m new here, but I’ve seen a website called sistersonthefly.com

I feel the same way as you. I want to be able to handle this all on my own. We sign our papers tomorrow. We were tent campers. Now empty nesters. Researched for about 3 years. Now ready to “Just Do It!”
Old 08-24-2018, 10:39 PM   #3
Owners of Willie

2019 27' Globetrotter
Peoria , Illinois
Lady Streamers

Just found a FB group
Adventurers On Heels also
Friendly RV/Camping Women
Old 08-25-2018, 01:00 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Welcome to the forum, Lisa and Patricia!

This Silver Sisters thread came on the radar screen recently, and may be a good place to start IMO:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f288...lly-29663.html

The recent posts may lead to a revitalization, or perhaps a new thread altogether IMO.

FYI the new search function in the blue box above works great -- powered by Google to search only this site -- so I would suggest trying it. I entered "Women's thread" and got quick results which led to the link above [although I also had a faint recollection of seeing it recently].

Happy trails!

Peter

PS -- You would probably enjoy Maggie's thread IMO -- lots of wisdom and experience as a [now] solo 'streamer [Airstream Interstate RV style]:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f161...ii-133171.html
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 04:03 AM   #5
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
<………solo female streaming. Doing the Airstream thing was a dream for both me and my husband. We talked about for 10 years, maybe more. Unfortunately my awesome husband passed away just prior to me purchasing my AS. We knew he had a terminal illness for 5 years before he passed away at the age of 59. One of our last conversations was about the AS, he encouraged me to forge ahead and pursue our shared love of shiny silver travel trailers.
Buying the Classic and the truck and the hitch and all the other things that are needed, skills to learn, new information to absorb has be a challenge to say the least but it’s also been very therapeutic (partly because I get so frustrated with the whole I forget that I’m a widow at 58).
On a lighter note, ladies...towing the Airstream, hooking up, unhooking, is actually a lot of fun. Overcoming some of the challenges is a great self esteem booster. If your guy is telling you that you can learn this then it’s only because he doesn’t want to share the fun. No guy is born knowing how to do all this, they had to learn at some point. Get out there and do it then watch all the double takes you’ll get with they see it’s a female doing the driving.
One last thought, IMO, it is vital that both parties know how to ‘stream. What would happen if hubby brakes an arm or leg? Or worse? Please learn how do to this, learn the basics, learn what to if something breaks or fails, who to call or where to call for tech support or parts. I encourage all women to read the forum and participate in discussions, learn the language, develop the skills. Even little step forward is movement in the right direction.
The Airstream does not care what gender you are, only that you enjoy the experience. If you should see me down the road, wave and smile because we share the same fun.

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 05:54 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
DItto, Laurie.

Female Airstreamers are here, some solo and some coupled, we’re just not organized.

Maggie
Old 08-25-2018, 12:51 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Edmond , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by patriciahawk View Post
I’m new here, but I’ve seen a website called sistersonthefly.com

I feel the same way as you. I want to be able to handle this all on my own. We sign our papers tomorrow. We were tent campers. Now empty nesters. Researched for about 3 years. Now ready to “Just Do It!”
Welcome Patricia,
How exciting! We just bought our Airstream at the end of June. We have had it out on two nice trips since then and are planning a third. I just love it. We are "almost" empty nesters. One little birdie left but she's a senior so it won't be long.

Lisa
Old 08-25-2018, 12:53 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Edmond , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Welcome to the forum, Lisa and Patricia!

This Silver Sisters thread came on the radar screen recently, and may be a good place to start IMO:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f288...lly-29663.html

The recent posts may lead to a revitalization, or perhaps a new thread altogether IMO.

FYI the new search function in the blue box above works great -- powered by Google to search only this site -- so I would suggest trying it. I entered "Women's thread" and got quick results which led to the link above [although I also had a faint recollection of seeing it recently].

Happy trails!

Peter

PS -- You would probably enjoy Maggie's thread IMO -- lots of wisdom and experience as a [now] solo 'streamer [Airstream Interstate RV style]:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f161...ii-133171.html
Thanks Peter! I did find that thread after this initial post. It had been abandoned since 2014 but there are a few posting on there now.

Lisa
Old 08-25-2018, 01:31 PM   #9
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
I’m awful at organizing things but wouldn’t it be cool to have a rally just for women. Guys of course would be welcome but only in support staff kinda way. Maybe have some of the reps from AS offer classes on basic maintenance, maybe have a CAT scale so we would know actual weights instead of estimate. Just a thought. I learned a lot when I had to take mine to the factory for some warranty repairs.

Old 08-26-2018, 05:32 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2018 16' Sport
Charlotte , Vermont
Women 'streamers and a rally???

"I’m awful at organizing things but wouldn’t it be cool to have a rally just for women. Guys of course would be welcome but only in support staff kinda way. Maybe have some of the reps from AS offer classes on basic maintenance, maybe have a CAT scale so we would know actual weights instead of estimate. Just a thought. I learned a lot when I had to take mine to the factory for some warranty repairs."

That is such a great idea! I am slowly learning all there isi to learn but it's a lot and areas where I knew nothing to begin with (what's an amp???)

Being in northwest New England and it being a huge country, maybe it would be good to have sub-groups based on location.

Let's try to get organized! I'm in!

Kim

Kim
Charlotte, VT
2010 F-150, 5.4l, V8, 3.55; Bramble: 2018 Bambi Sport 16
farafield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 06:37 AM   #11
Owners of Willie

2019 27' Globetrotter
Peoria , Illinois
I’m interested in a “Midwest” group, but I’ll need some experience under my belt first. We don’t get our GT until January.
Old 08-26-2018, 06:47 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2018 16' Sport
Charlotte , Vermont
Organizing threads on this forum

At the top of the page for a forum (This one being Lady Streamers) there are some buttons to customize how the forum displays=Display Mode can be changed to threaded mode which, for me, helps organize the discussions at a glance. It's possible we could organize threads like General, Maintenance, Electric, Solar Northeast, Midwest, Northwest etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-08-26 at 8.43.47 AM.png
Views:	88
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	320844  

Kim
Charlotte, VT
2010 F-150, 5.4l, V8, 3.55; Bramble: 2018 Bambi Sport 16
farafield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 08:46 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Edmond , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by farafield View Post
At the top of the page for a forum (This one being Lady Streamers) there are some buttons to customize how the forum displays=Display Mode can be changed to threaded mode which, for me, helps organize the discussions at a glance. It's possible we could organize threads like General, Maintenance, Electric, Solar Northeast, Midwest, Northwest etc.
It would be nice to be able to see things clearer. If you, or anyone else, is comfortable navigating the tools, I'd say to go for it. I love the idea of regional groups. I'm in Oklahoma and seems not to be a lot of us from this fine state. I work full time still but if we plan far enough in advance, I'd love to help organize a rally.

Lisa
Old 10-21-2018, 06:22 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Edmond , Oklahoma
I have been looking forward to my first upgrade to my 2016 Flying Cloud and after reading a lot on Air-forums, I took the leap and ordered my 16" Sendel Wheels and Michelin tires upgrade. I ordered from Performance Plus Tires out of California and they took good care of me and shipped the fully mounted, balanced and nitrogen filled wheel/tire sets to me with a 10 day turn-around. Today, with minimal help from my husband I replaced all four of the factory sets with the new upgrades. Hubby worked on making small adjustments to the spare carrier bracket to get the larger spare to fit inside. I am pleased with the new upgrades and proud that I was able to do the work myself! Just wanted to share!

Lisa
Old 10-22-2018, 04:05 AM   #15
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
Lisa, wow, that’s seriously impressive. I tried to change the tire a couple of times but I couldn’t get the old one off no matter how hard I tried, then when I was bound and determined to put the new one on I couldn’t get it torqued to 150 so, wow, you did good.

Old 10-22-2018, 06:35 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
I tried to change the tire a couple of times but I couldn’t get the old one off no matter how hard I tried, then when I was bound and determined to put the new one on I couldn’t get it torqued to 150

Keep trying. Keep learning. A day might come when you need to change a tire on the road and there's no knight in shining armor around.

There are ways to use leverage as a substitute for upper body strength. There are ways to use your lower body strength to do a job that guys do with just their arms and shoulders. A mounted tire weighs about the same as a cranky two-year-old, and society definitely expects women to lift children.

Getting the old tire off requires a long-handled wrench or a good cheater bar. The wrenches the manufacturers supply are a joke. I carry a Northern Tool breaker bar that's at least 3' long. I'm not afraid to put my foot on the end of it if that's what it takes to break loose a stubborn lug nut. Recommend a six-point socket so that you don't just round off the corners of the nut. Also recommend a short extension so that your knuckles clear the fender when you use the wrench. I carry a long-handled (pawn shop find) torque wrench for putting the lug nuts back on.

A tip for applying torque (either tightening or loosening). Orient the wrench so that the force you need to apply goes down. Grab the wrench handle, keep your arm straight, then lean in and put as much of your body weight onto that arm as is needed. If that doesn't get the full tightening torque specified, it will definitely get enough to limp to the next place where help is available.

Archimedes had it all figured. We just need to use what he taught.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 06:26 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Edmond , Oklahoma
That's right. The correct tools made all the difference. After purchasing my Airstream, I went out and bought tools specific to what it required. The breaker bar and torque wrench made this job doable for me. (I did use my husband's shoulder as I balanced to jump on top of the breaker bar a couple of times to get those stubborn nuts loose!) The specified torque for the lug nuts was between 95-115 and that part was easy with the wrench. We had previously had one wheel changed out at a Discount Tire and they used an impact drill to put that one back on. It was a completely different experience than the other ones, so I see the value of putting them on myself or making sure that whoever does it doesn't use the drill. Doing this was a great confidence booster and I learned how my tools work.

Lisa
Old 02-15-2021, 10:32 AM   #18
1 Rivet Member

2021 25' Globetrotter
Crested Butte , Colorado
New to be AS Globetrotter 25 FBT SOLO female

In February 2021, I recently ordered my 2022 AS GT 25 FBT and won't receive it until August if I am lucky, but more likely in September. So in the meantime I am researching other people's experiences.
But mostly I would like to find other women who have traveled solo with their airstream trailer and ask for support in getting prepared.I will be traveling with 2 cats and 2 cat-sized dogs. Am I crazy?!
I am currently researching tow vehicles, as my Toyota Tacoma won't be able to manage this trailer. Looking at 1/2 tons, but feel discouraged by unreliability issues I hear about the BIG 3. And I know little about Tundra capabilities.
Hope to find some solo travelers and travelers with pets out there, for advice and support.
Thanks!
Tricia
TriciaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 10:41 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Rochester , WASHINGTON
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriciaG View Post
In February 2021, I recently ordered my 2022 AS GT 25 FBT and won't receive it until August if I am lucky, but more likely in September. So in the meantime I am researching other people's experiences.
But mostly I would like to find other women who have traveled solo with their airstream trailer and ask for support in getting prepared.I will be traveling with 2 cats and 2 cat-sized dogs. Am I crazy?!
I am currently researching tow vehicles, as my Toyota Tacoma won't be able to manage this trailer. Looking at 1/2 tons, but feel discouraged by unreliability issues I hear about the BIG 3. And I know little about Tundra capabilities.
Hope to find some solo travelers and travelers with pets out there, for advice and support.
Thanks!
Tricia
I think if you look at some of the recent towing advice threads here, you will find them very informative.Some no doubt with experience with your exact size trailer.
Personally, I feel you would be near operating limits with a 1/2 Ton tow vehicle.I would go with a 3/4 Ton truck.
You don't want your trailer to be capable of driving your tow vehicle.
I wouldn't hesitate with a tow vehicle from the Big 3.
Old 02-15-2021, 10:59 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Lady Streamers

Might I suggest you test drive the Nissan Titan XD? It has an excellent 5.6 liter V8 gas engine. As the truck was also once offered with a Diesel engine, the soundproofing of the cab is remarkable as well. It is very comfortable, has all the usual gadgets and has an nose to tail warranty of 5 years or 100,000 miles (nobody else comes close).

The gas version should have a payload in excess of 2000# and a towing capacity greater than 12000# (if you do test drive one, look at the yellow capacity sticker attached to the driver’s door post).

Mine (I have the diesel) has been faultless for 4 1/2 years and 66,000 plus miles. Nissan is very keen to get some market share with these trucks so good deals are to be found.
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote