Old 03-20-2019, 04:20 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2016 28' International
Trois-Rivieres , Quebec
Unhappy Keeping the AS mosquitoe free, any success?

Having just traveled trough Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana and now Texas along the Gulf Coast, keeping mosquitoes out of our aluminum capsule has become a serious business.

My dear wife is convinced they are coming trough the walls, whereas when I start thinking like a mosquitoe and survey the trailer from all sides at night (including the roof), I can't figure out where they are coming in from (beyond the obvious -- keep the door closed!).

Have any of you found their pathways? I suspect where the window "levers" pass trough the window frame, there is a brush strip on either side of the opening where the bristles eventually wear out or don't bounce back. Have you changed these brush strips? What about the refrigerator. I know the screen riveted on the refer vent on the roof is tight (I reinstalled it last summer) but where else should should we be looking? Thanks!

Hermes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 04:39 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2013 25' International
Boise , Idaho
Window levers are one certainty for me

I've fought bugs, too. Mostly no-see-ums. Last year, I searched these forums and found some posts about the slots where the window levers rise and fall. As you said, there are bristles that are supposed to close the gap but they don't work well, especially after some time. So, I taped these slots up with painters tape in the evenings and yes, the bug count fell drastically. It's kinda annoying since you need to reapply the tape whenever you change the window attitude, but its probably worth it in serious cases.

Let us know what you find.

Adam

afk314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 09:53 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2009 19' International
Aptos , California
We use yarn to fill in the window lever voids left by worn bristles. It helps a lot and isn’t a big hassle

I’ve also changed the Fantastic Fans so that I can have them blowing into the AS. The positive pressure helps keep the mosquitoes out (I also use yarn around the fans-the fit and finish isn’t great).

We keep a fly swatter handy

We’ve learned to love deet.

When it gets really bad we resort to gassing ourselves with Black Flag
brad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 10:56 AM   #4
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
I changed all the screens to a fine mesh... Mosquitoes weren't the issue but gnats and no see ums!
The trade off is decreased air flow vs a bloodbath starring my blood!
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 11:06 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Lived in Alabama for a long time. They don’t have mosquitos in their area, they have bloodsucking helicopters in their woods. They plug you like a watermelon.

There were days when I thought the swarms were attracted to DEET. Bug zappers often looked like a lightning storm at night.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 11:24 AM   #6
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Placing your trailer underwater would solve the problem. However, few people would go that far, even to prevent a blood bath.

There are many ways small mosquitos can get in. Worse are no-see-ums. Here are major ways:

1. The door—never open or close it and that will help a lot. Also keeps mice and other quick little creatures outside.

2. The screen door—it seals poorly and has plenty of places around the slider where you open/close it for small flying insects to sneak in.

3. All the screening can let really small insects like no-see-ums get through.

4. The Fantastic Fan screens do not fit perfectly. If you put fans on exhaust, air will have to come in from somewhere (if the fans were strong enough and the trailer was totally air sealed it would collapse inward, but it won't hurt because you would have suffocated by then). That air coming in to replace the exhausted air may draw the little devils in thrpugh screens, etc.

5. The bathroom and shower fans also do not have well fitted screens, so keep the vents closed when not using them.

6. Holes in the floor or elsewhere (inside cabinets and under furniture for wiring, plumbing, etc.) may be covered badly or not at all and lead outside though poorly sealed belly pans or exterior storage doors. More likely those admit mice and other crawly things though.

We have faced onslaughts of fruit flies, very small mosquitos, no-see-ums and other small flying insects from Alaska to much of the rest of the US and Canada. Bring a couple of fly swatters. Some of the bugs congregate around the lights and I have spent lots of time crushing them with wet paper towels—they stick to the wetness, helping clean up the carnage. No-see-ums are the worst. I stay away from insecticides because poisons can build up in our bodies and no one knows how much is too much for each individual. If you meet someone who complains "mosquitoes always find me and leave everyone else alone!", considering traveling with them.

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 11:32 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Keeping the AS mosquitoe free, any success?

Heh, if there is a mosquito within 100 yards it will find my wife. I seem to be less bothered by them. We use flypaper and natural insecticides to keep them at bay. Also staying indoors in the evening just after dark seems to avoid contact with the little buggers. When it gets too cool, they don’t fly well. A breeze always helps, plus proper clothing. Long sleeves, long pants tucked in to your socks, and DEET based bug repellent on any exposed skin will help, but is not foolproof.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 11:47 AM   #8
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
These biting insects rely on us (and other animals) to keep their species alive. They have developed means to use blood to keep procreating and they are extremely good at finding the blood they need. If we kill a million of them, they just make another million. They don't care if we get mad, go berserk, cry, scream or lose our minds. Because we don't have fur, we are good targets, however ask caribou how much fur helps. Their herds seem to go crazy as they migrate across the Arctic in the summer and seek out water to submerge themselves for some relief.

They are really good at what they do. You will not win every battle. Come to Colorado and have the black flies at high altitudes drive you crazy—get one in your ear and you'll be happy to deal with mosquitos.

Old 03-23-2019, 01:15 PM   #9
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Port Dover , ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
A breeze always helps.
We often run fans outside to create an artificial breeze for cooling and blowing the biting insects away.

“One test is worth a thousand 'expert' opinions”
Sign at Boeing headquarters, posted by test pilot Alvin “Tex” Johnston, c1948
Adventure.AS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 03:34 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2018 26' Flying Cloud
Thornton , Colorado
Keeping the AS mosquitoe free, any success?

For years we’ve used a bug zapper similar to the one shown (inside the trailer). Ours works quite well, and is quiet.

Amazon has several models offered for reasonable prices.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0196.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	159.1 KB
ID:	336345
Silverpuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 04:19 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
This.
Old 03-24-2019, 08:39 AM   #12
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Flying insects are disappearing. Maybe you noticed last summer there were fewer bugs on your windshield. This is happening al over North America and Europe. With the insects gone, a lot of birds go too. Pesticides certainly are part of it. Just wait, no biting bugs. Eventually we go too....