Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2015, 01:45 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1978 23' Safari
victoria , bc
Smile Just bought a 1987 23' safari (any help)

hello everyone,

So ya i finally got an airstream, and can't wait to get started the reno.
Has any one els renovated a 23' safari? I'm trying to decide where to start with my project. She has been gutted, floors are all new and some wiring has been done.
should i reseal the windows? any advice would be so welcome.

Photostream
photostream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 08:07 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Welcome to the Forums!

There is nothing unique to rennovating a 23' Safari. They all, regardless of length, seem to have similar challenges, ie., rot prone floors, leak prone shells, etc..

Anyway, from your post, it sounds like you took possession of a trailer that has already had some work done. I would suggest that you start by verifying the condition of the floor and frame, and confirming that the work that has been done is done correctly, and isn't just hiding problems. After that, seal up everything you can (door, window, and hatch gaskets, plumbing vent gaskets, etc.), and once you are fairly sure it isn't leaking, then move forward with the interior rebuild. Are the interior walls in place, or are you looking at the inside of the shell (ie., exposed wiring, no insulation in the walls)?

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 01:31 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1978 23' Safari
victoria , bc
Thanks

Thanks for the advice !

The floor and trailer are really nicely done in really good shape. The vynle walls arn't on so you can see all the wiring and its all new but not hooked up, and ibe got all new insalation just not in yet. I think you are right about making sure every thing is seald from leaks first. What would you say is the best brand of wether strip adhesive for an airstream ? Also the window mechanisms seem sticky like they need some tlc does any one have any advice on window care ?

Thanks
Photostream
Old 09-02-2015, 07:36 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
There isn't much to the window mechanisms on a 70's era trailer, just a hinge at the top, two rods that you push on and lift to open them, and the latches at the bottom. All of these are easy to disassemble, clean and rebuild. You can buy the "OEM" weather stripping at suppliers like outofdoorsmart.com, Inland RV, or Vintage Trailer Supply. The adhesive is also usually available at the same suppliers. It is black and made by 3M. There is a Youtube video shoing a "professional" rebuilding/reweather stripping windows from a 70's vintage trailer.

Run water over your trailer and watch from the inside for leaks. It is not unusual for some rivets/seams to leak, and while you can see the inside of the shell, it is the perfect time to seal those seams from the inside.

When I say that you need to confirm that the floor job was done right, I mean that it is easy to lay some very pretty laminate flooring over a rotting subfloor, and nobody will be the wiser. Take a small sharp screwdriver or ice pick and try to poke it down into the subfloor at the edge of the flooring. This may help you to ensure that you don't have a rotten spot that is just hidden. Was the sub floor replaced? one way to get a hint is by looking at the fasteners in the C-channel at the bottom of the wall. If they are all old and rusty, then the floor probably has not been replaced, at least not correctly.

Every topic you can think of has been covered multiple times on these forums. The search function is poor at best, and I find that the best way to search is to open a google search from outside the forums and then put in search terms such as "window rebuild airforums" and you will get a bunch of on-topic hits from the forums.

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 10:23 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1978 23' Safari
victoria , bc
really appreciate all the info

there is no laminate flooring, the subfloor is exposed and he used new marine grade plywood. The belly skin is not on the bottom, and the trailer chassis looks like new. I'm not super experienced but looks like a pretty good job.

thank you for the info about the windows I'm going to start on that first