Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-21-2015, 10:45 AM   #1
Future Airstream Owner

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Covington , Louisiana
Just a Huge Thank You! (and happy holidays)

I do not yet own an AS. But owning an AS is a big dream of mine, and I know that the best way to achieve a dream is to stay focused on it. I ran across this forum one day while I was searching for something else about AS (can't remember now what it was). And I thought - 'Ahah! I'll bet this would be a great place to learn more about AS while I save my pennies to buy one!'

I have not been disappointed. I almost always read at least one thread out of the daily email I receive from Airstream Forums.

In fact, I would *highly* recommend this forum to anyone who does not yet own an AS but would like to own one. In just one month I have learned things that I would not have thought about on my own. It has also helped me pick up on the lingo used by the community - sometimes I have to think about the terms used, but then I go 'Ahh! That's what they are talking about!' I have even copied a couple of key posts into my "Airstream Notes" file, lol.

Anyway, I just wanted to say that I really, really appreciate this forum being here. It might be another 10 years before I can purchase my dream AS, and it might end up being the smallest one they make (although I hope I can get a larger one), but someday it will happen! My goal is to get one by the time I retire. My grown children/grandchildren live in other states, I have friends scattered all over the U.S., and I also enjoy camping - sure sounds like an AS to me....

Happy Holidays to all! I'll be here, lurking and learning....
yashila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 11:11 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Why wait. Find a clean used one and enjoy it now. You can't tell about the future. That's what we did. I used the forums for research the pros and cons. I think one of my first threads was about how much hail can an Airstream shell withstand. Got lots of good feed back.

Kelvin
Old 12-22-2015, 06:31 AM   #3
Future Airstream Owner

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Covington , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
Why wait. Find a clean used one and enjoy it now. You can't tell about the future. That's what we did. I used the forums for research the pros and cons. I think one of my first threads was about how much hail can an Airstream shell withstand. Got lots of good feed back.

Kelvin
I would love to - but really *do* need to wait. I have a car to pay off before I can even afford to get a vehicle that could tow an AS. And I am a single woman with a mortgage, etc. But there is hope! And I have a plan - which starts with paying off my Prius C, lol! (And I need to keep the Prius C because it's the perfect commuter car for me.) But I reassess my position every few months as I pay down as many debts as I can. This forum is the perfect place for me though - it keeps the AS in the front of my mind. I won't let it slip to the back, to be forgotten.

I sort of 'inherited' this love of AS, you see. My mom grew up during the depression, and as a young woman married to an electric company linesman, they traveled from location to location in one of the earliest AS models. Alas, he died of undiagnosed diabetes, the AS was sold, and eventually she married my dad. She wanted to get another AS - but it was not a high priority for my dad. She never was able to buy another one. But as a kid, my mom dragged along me to RV shows - I caught the AS "bug" at a very early age.

So I have vowed not to reach the end of my life without having owned an AS, even if becomes my "mother-in-law cottage" parked in the back yard of one of my kids, lol. But I think I will be able to get it before I reach that point. So. Pay off car, pay down credit cards (those two things I can and am doing *now*), buy vehicle that can tow AS/buy AS! Staying focused on "the prize" by watching these forums is a great motivator to avoid any extra expenses that I really do not 'need.' When I reach the point that I can buy that AS, I know I'll have the forum to thank for helping me get there!
Old 12-22-2015, 06:57 AM   #4
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
Hello and welcome to Air Forums!

I noticed Covington, LA is your home. My wife and I were recently in that area working on a Habitat for Humanity project. If we have a chance to go through that area again we'll let you know and stop by to say hello.

Based on your comments it will be some amount of time before you buy a trailer and that makes sense for you. But don't overlook used trailers - the new ones are very nice but a gently used trailer will be much more affordable. If you like the look of the brand new trailers - shiny interior - then you don't have to look to far back to find a good used one when the time is right. Something in the mid 2000's date range look and feel almost like the new ones.

Keep an eye on Air Forums for rallies that are in your area - even if it's a day drive - bring a tent and stay in the rally campground. Airstreamers love to show you around and we've never met anyone who isn't willing to discuss Airstreaming with a "wanna be" owner.

Happy dreaming and hunting! See ya down the road.
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 08:30 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
Welcome yashila, Your family here
streaminwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 01:18 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
You have a dream.
You have a plan.
It will happen.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 01:28 PM   #7
Future Airstream Owner

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Covington , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvestysly View Post
Hello and welcome to Air Forums!

I noticed Covington, LA is your home. My wife and I were recently in that area working on a Habitat for Humanity project. If we have a chance to go through that area again we'll let you know and stop by to say hello.

Based on your comments it will be some amount of time before you buy a trailer and that makes sense for you. But don't overlook used trailers - the new ones are very nice but a gently used trailer will be much more affordable. If you like the look of the brand new trailers - shiny interior - then you don't have to look to far back to find a good used one when the time is right. Something in the mid 2000's date range look and feel almost like the new ones.

Keep an eye on Air Forums for rallies that are in your area - even if it's a day drive - bring a tent and stay in the rally campground. Airstreamers love to show you around and we've never met anyone who isn't willing to discuss Airstreaming with a "wanna be" owner.

Happy dreaming and hunting! See ya down the road.
Thanks! I will keep that in mind (looking at 'gently used' models *and* nearby rallies).

What keeps me looking at the newer ones is two things - I would like to have solar panels and I would like to have a microwave - although I am guessing that you can just put a small microwave into an AS that does not come with one? And what makes me look at the 'larger rather than the smallest' is my desire to have a shower rather than a wetbath.

If I had to guess, I would say that I will not reach my goal in the next 5 years - but likely will between 5 and 10 years. Which will still put me young enough to enjoy having one!

And I would love to meet up with any who pass through my neck of the woods!

For many years I lived in the French Quarter, but I moved out after Hurricane Katrina, even though the only thing I lost in my condo was my refrigerator. I still do not regret that move. But my former employer (I work as a legal secretary) laid off 70 of us after Katrina, and the several months of unemployment that followed wiped out all of my savings and was just devastating to my finances. So now I am one of the 'evil Causeway commuters' that come across the bridge every day to work. But I do love Covington with it's old town feel, and the numerous festivals and events that are held there around the year.

You were probably not far from where I live, as I live on the border between the neighborhood that usually gets those Habitat homes and "old Covington." When the realtor showed me the house, she explained that it was a cute, brand new, never-lived-in house, but was located "across from the Covington hood." I laughed at her. (After living in the French Quarter so many years, I knew that she had no clue what a real "hood" was.) And I've had no problems there. When the neighbors realized that this crazy lady mowed her own yard, they started waving back when I waved, and they slowly learned that I was actually buying my home, not just a pass-through post-Katrina renter. Someone once asked me 'why on earth I would buy a house over here!' I told them the truth - it's a cute house, perfect size for me, affordable, and I wanted to live north of the evil "mandatory evacuation line." (Interstate 12)

And besides, I sleep *much* better during hurricane season now! That's just one more reason to buy an AS!! Right!!?
Old 12-22-2015, 03:36 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1985 25' Sovereign
Wichita Falls , Texas
My suggestion to you would be to keep an open mind in regards to size and age while you build up your finances,while AS look similar on the outside, I am always amazed at the different interiors that I see, everything from beautiful wood to space ship looking and if you are carefull, you can find a great used AS for a reasonable price.
PeterKV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 04:52 AM   #9
Future Airstream Owner

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Covington , Louisiana
Thanks to all! (The only thing I wish this forum had that I have not found is a "like" type button - I would be "liking" all of the replies here!)
Old 12-23-2015, 06:25 AM   #10
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by yashila View Post
Thanks to all! (The only thing I wish this forum had that I have not found is a "like" type button - I would be "liking" all of the replies here!)
Hi yashila,

A "like" button does not exist. But notice at the bottom of each post is a "thanks" button. Thanks is not public, but the recipient sees your thanks.
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 07:01 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
I learn something new everyday. When I was 17, I knew it all, now I know nothing. Thanks nvesysly for enlightening me on the thanks button. If there was a like button on my computer I would have worn it out on this forum. Happy Holidays everyone. Streaminwild.. I just looked at my profile and found the like section.....you made my day nvesysly
streaminwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 08:34 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
You have a dream.
You have a plan.
It will happen.
Yashila - M. Hony is a wise and discerning man. Dreams do not happen without a plan. Every time you mow your own yard, put the money it would have cost to have someone else do that into your Airstream account. You sound like a person with a mission; keep the forum updated on your progress.
Life does happen, so plans change; those times are for revising the plan.
We dreamed about ours for years and just when we were ready, issues arose and we had a three year delay. Got our tow vehicle in August and finally getting our trailer in a few days (Jan 4th!) and heading immediately to Canopener.
Stick with it, your trailer is probably being prepared for you by some nice people right now!
2016 F250 KR 6.7 4x4 CC "Tex"
Members, NTAC
Boogieshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 09:19 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Non-Traditional Career... OR....

Making a helluva lot more in a traditional career.

I grew up in the 60's and was probably about 16 when I first heard "equal pay for equal work" an idea that took about 5 seconds go go from "what?!" to "Of COURSE!! damnit!" in my head.

I then proceeded to drive the principal of my high school, the guidance counselor and the shop teacher to early graves.... Thought I SHOULD be ALLOWED to take Shop OMG. Shop class never happened for me, but the year after I graduated both Home Ec. and Shop became open to all.

Things have changed a lot, BUT it's still very easy for a woman to get buttonholed into a "supporting role" - where you support everyone else beautifully, but get only the leftovers for yourself.

You're doing a wonderful job recovering from Katrina and taking the financial reins into your own hands, but I'd urge you to consider (A) re-evaluating your career OR (B) considering a second part-time one. If you are able to buy a house that's great, and working two jobs can be a REAL DRAG but if you want that Airstream... maybe that is a faster path to getting it.

I know a former legal secretary who worked for a practice that specializes in personal injury and product liability cases. She persuaded her boss to promote her into a field investigator position. Erin Brockovich she isn't, but it's tripled her earnings because she HAS found vital information in several cases that resulted in very big settlements rather than nuisance claim payoffs. (Her boss fought against the idea tooth and nail, but now pats himself on the back for having the foresight to recognize her talent - C.O.S. but let him have his delusions.)

If that or something similar isn't in the cards - what else CAN you do to earn more? I know one "pink caddy" Mary Kay saleswoman, and several more who make $500- $1000 selling the stuff as a hobby.

A job SELLING RV's on weekends? At an Airstream dealership? Or how about becoming a certified RV repair technician? (Always handy for future use too.) Think about paying for your future plan by working IN the field.

Anyway if nothing else you are on the right path. Keep on keeping on.

Paula
Old 12-23-2015, 10:02 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Spartanburg , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by yashila View Post
I do not yet own an AS. But owning an AS is a big dream of mine, and I know that the best way to achieve a dream is to stay focused on it. I ran across this forum one day while I was searching for something else about AS (can't remember now what it was). And I thought - 'Ahah! I'll bet this would be a great place to learn more about AS while I save my pennies to buy one!'

I have not been disappointed. I almost always read at least one thread out of the daily email I receive from Airstream Forums.

In fact, I would *highly* recommend this forum to anyone who does not yet own an AS but would like to own one. In just one month I have learned things that I would not have thought about on my own. It has also helped me pick up on the lingo used by the community - sometimes I have to think about the terms used, but then I go 'Ahh! That's what they are talking about!' I have even copied a couple of key posts into my "Airstream Notes" file, lol.

Anyway, I just wanted to say that I really, really appreciate this forum being here. It might be another 10 years before I can purchase my dream AS, and it might end up being the smallest one they make (although I hope I can get a larger one), but someday it will happen! My goal is to get one by the time I retire. My grown children/grandchildren live in other states, I have friends scattered all over the U.S., and I also enjoy camping - sure sounds like an AS to me....

Happy Holidays to all! I'll be here, lurking and learning....
I see elsewhere in this thread you have 3 reasons for waiting.....you want a larger A/S to have a shower, be able to use a microwave and solar panels.....
I have a friend with a vintage 16 ft Bambi which has a shower (you sit on the toilet to bathe) and a microwave (when plugged into what we call shore power you simply plug in your small microwave). He had planned to add solar panels until his wife became seriously ill which puts a hold on his plans. So you see, you can start small and later work up to something grander if you want. Merry Christmas to you and yours...
Jacob D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 11:30 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvestysly View Post
Hi yashila,

A "like" button does not exist. But notice at the bottom of each post is a "thanks" button. Thanks is not public, but the recipient sees your thanks.

I don't see a thanks button on the mobile app. I don't know where it is on the regular website.
I know, however, that it is there because so many have touch it, sending me thanks for comments.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 12-24-2015, 04:54 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
The "thanks" button is on the regular website at the lower right of the post by "quote". I don't know how to send thanks from the mobile app.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955