Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-23-2013, 02:30 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Branson , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
Boy, tough bunch.

Maybe if Airstream keeps experimenting with this Land Yacht, along with slide outs, toy haulers, swiss army knives, Eddie Bauer and Christopher Dean,... they will finally figure out what everybody really wants!
Might be a tough bunch, Mojo, but I'm thinking these are the folks who are going to keep buying Airstream's product.

If Mr. Wheeler wants to continue to innovate, it would probably be smart of him to sample some of his existing customer base.

I continue to take pot shots at the marketing attempts (the Land Yacht being just one of many) made by the poobahs of the company. IMO they're shooting in the dark most of the time.

That said, we REALLY enjoy our trailer!

https://www.pbase.com/murreywalker

2011 23 FC FB
murreywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 02:34 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Smile Giving credit to William Hawley Bowlus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
What Wheeler said, “... the earliest designer of the airstream trailer was the guy, Hawley Bowlus, who also designed of the Spirit of St. Lewis so it was an aircraft , so we have an absolute straight line to the aircraft.”

So, now in an Airstream article in RV Business is the claim, "That shape owes its existence to Hawley Bowlus, a glider builder and designer who conceived it in the early 1930s after helping build the Spirit of St. Louis for Charles Lindbergh. Unfortunately for Bowlus, he was a better engineer than a businessman and the company struggled until master promoter Wally Byam took over, renamed it Airstream and launched a sales and marketing machine that capitalized on the trailer’s unique shape and then-futuristic styling."
Yes, I think Bob Wheeler and the quote from the article in RV Business got it right, and I am pleased that William Hawley Bowlus got the credit he deserves.

Wikipedia in its article about William Hawley Bowlus, notes: "William Hawley Bowlus (May 8, 1896 - August 27, 1967)[1] was a designer, engineer and builder of aircraft (especially gliders) and recreational vehicles in the 1930s and '40s. Today he is most widely known for his key role in the design of Airstream travel trailers, which followed his prior famed work as the Superintendent of Construction on Charles Lindbergh's aircraft, the Spirit of St. Louis." [in San Diego]

Wikipedia, in its article about Airstream, notes: "The company was created by Wally Byam, who began building trailers out of Masonite in his backyard in Los Angeles during the late 1920s.[1] A lawyer by training, Byam published a magazine selling "how-to" kits to customers wishing to build their own trailers. After helping market Hawley Bowlus' trailer, Byam acquired the struggling Bowlus Company.[2] In 1936 Byam introduced the "Airstream Clipper", which was essentially a rebadged 1935 Bowlus, with the door relocated from the front to the side."
SilverGate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 03:17 PM   #43
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Lets just take the "Yacht" for what it is...a hook for the uninitiated Airstream buyer with more money than common sense.

When I bought, I fit only one of those criteria,, nut I still wouldn't "yacht" in anything else.

Bob
Old 05-23-2013, 06:45 PM   #44
2 Rivet Member

Medina , Ohio
Very cool, Jay doesn't know Airstreams very well. He does as well as I would explaining a steam powered car!
Steinmetzmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 03:51 AM   #45
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Does the Land Yacht have the new Zip Dee power awning?
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 03:59 AM   #46
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

No... it's referred to as a "self furling sail".

Bob
Old 05-24-2013, 05:59 AM   #47
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Here's the thing. AS doing well is good for us - keeps them in business, gives them money, allows them to keep stocking parts/doing R&D (hopefully)/etc. It also helps our resale value if the trailers have more exposure. This appearance does that.

Thing is, Wheeler isn't going to get onto Jay Leno's video series, or get articles in the NYT and WSJ, just by wheeling out another practical 25FB. The Land Yacht is a hook, a story angle, a reason for press.

Finally, I respect the historical knowledge expressed in this thread. But I've been in Wheeler's shoes, having done segments on two national live morning news programs and lots of other media. You might know everything inside and out, and have a plan - but a lot of that goes away in front of the camera.

You're lucky to get 3-4 solid points across, and sometimes factual points get dumbed down or rounded off. I was surprised about not mentioning Interstate too, but in the spur of the moment, he kept the conversation going in a different direction.

I understand folks complaining about their hitches or floor leaks or filaform. But to dissect this appearance and be upset about it just isn't worth it.

Sorry to say, but Wheeler wouldn't have been on Leno's show to show off a new composite rot-proof floor or a 300-lb lighter trailer...

Tom
Old 05-24-2013, 08:08 AM   #48
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Branson , Missouri
Thing is, Wheeler isn't going to get onto Jay Leno's video series, or get articles in the NYT and WSJ, just by wheeling out another practical 25FB. The Land Yacht is a hook, a story angle, a reason for press.

Isn't this a pretty expensive way of buying additional ink (press)?

If it were a concept trailer, I would agree, but Airstream has said it's going into production with this project.

https://www.pbase.com/murreywalker

2011 23 FC FB
murreywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 09:25 AM   #49
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutcth View Post
You might know everything inside and out, and have a plan - but a lot of that goes away in front of the camera.

You're lucky to get 3-4 solid points across, and sometimes factual points get dumbed down or rounded off. I was surprised about not mentioning Interstate too, but in the spur of the moment, he kept the conversation going in a different direction.
And of course the video wasn't broadcast live. It was obviously edited, and there's no telling what got cut out for the sake of trimming it down to the allotted time. And probably filmed in a series of smaller takes over the course of a day or so, so there may well have been a lot of conversation that wasn't filmed at all, in between takes.

So what we saw probably has as much to do with what the producer and/or director wanted us to see as it did with what Messrs. Wheeler and Leno wanted us to see.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:51 AM   #50
Rivet Master

Aurora , Colorado
Giving credit to William Hawley Bowlus

SilverGate, Wikipedia is full of bad information. It is not a scholarly publication. Bowlus and Byam being a very good example of how you have to be careful with what you find on the Internet. For instance, Byam was not a lawyer by training - period. That has been refuted by me and Dale Schwamborn repeatedly. And Dale should know better than any of us since he is a relative of Byam, worked for Byam, caravanned across Africa with Byam. But if you want to believe some unknown who posted his thoughts on Wikipedia, then there isn't much anyone can do about that.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:54 AM   #51
Rivet Master

2007 16' International CCD
Vintage Kin Owner
Somewhere , Colorado
Another reason for Airstream to build this high-end product is the hope that it will produce what marketing guys call the "halo effect", which improves the brand image and adds perceived value to the entire product line. With some luck, this will add value to all of ours, too.
field & stream is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 10:00 AM   #52
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Giving credit to William Hawley Bowlus

SilverGate, Wikipedia is full of bad information. It is not a scholarly publication. Bowlus and Byam being a very good example of how you have to be careful with what you find on the Internet. For instance, Byam was not a lawyer by training - period. That has been refuted by me and Dale Schwamborn repeatedly. And Dale should know better than any of us since he is a relative of Byam, worked for Byam, caravanned across Africa with Byam. But if you want to believe some unknown who posted his thoughts on Wikipedia, then there isn't much anyone can do about that.
Well, as long as you can document a source for your refutation, why not get on Wikipedia, and edit the entry so that Wikipedia is right for once?
Old 05-24-2013, 10:22 AM   #53
Rivet Master

Aurora , Colorado
Good reference books

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Well, as long as you can document a source for your refutation, why not get on Wikipedia, and edit the entry so that Wikipedia is right for once?
Life is too short to spend it rewriting Wikipedia. I'll save my efforts for something that pays, such as Airstream Life magazine If you want an authoritative book about Bowlus, then read Bowlus Trailers - The Origin of the Species by John Long. He also has a website - Bowlus Road Chief | Inspired by timeless American style.

Wanderlust by Banham is one of the better books for Airstream history. Admittedly, both books are hard to get and somewhat expensive, but worthwhile regardless.
Old 05-24-2013, 04:27 PM   #54
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Murry hit the Nail on the HEAD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by murreywalker View Post
I too, am impressed with the beauty of the interior.

BUT…

The argument of which comes first; form or function has to be brought into play.

...And, while I think the counter which hides the sink and cooktop to be absolutely striking, it appears that function of the trailer is compromised, not to mention the question of where to place those items that might find their place on that counter that hides the stuff under it. Surely some folks would put things on top of that sleek counter, wouldn't they?
I was thinking exactly the same thing. "Striking" but a pain in the neck to maintain the pristine minimalistic lines by hiding the teapot and toaster every day. And I'm sure you'd want a single pristine orchid plant on the covered counter top. How many of us REGULARLY USE our sink covers and stove covers? Do I need a serving buffet area?

This might actually make a nice "portable business office" but it's clearly a statement, not a trayla!

The Land Yacht, reeking of quiet good taste
rather than a brasher, more conspicuous "Great Gatsby" aura.

Just makes me like the Eddie Bauer more.

Are they bringing this out to help us forget the "Sterling"?

Paula
Old 05-24-2013, 04:54 PM   #55
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Okay... I do REALLY like the power lift table. I'm always wanting to adjust my table height for the sewing machine or the computer or some other putzy little project I'm working on. Bet that's marine grade and costs about $2000. Well off to the internet to peek.

If I got the table adjustable I'd probably forget about getting recliners.

So many options, so little time... and too tight to spend the big bucks!

Paula
Old 05-24-2013, 05:57 PM   #56
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Smile Good reference books... and articles!

Quote:
Life is too short to spend it rewriting Wikipedia. I'll save my efforts for something that pays, such as Airstream Life magazine If you want an authoritative book about Bowlus, then read Bowlus Trailers - The Origin of the Species by John Long. He also has a website - Bowlus Road Chief | Inspired by timeless American style.

Wanderlust by Banham is one of the better books for Airstream history. Admittedly, both books are hard to get and somewhat expensive, but worthwhile regardless.
Hi Forrest... I think I understand your main objection to Bob Wheeler's quote, "... the earliest designer of the Airstream trailer was the guy, Hawley Bowlus...", is that Bob used the trade name "Airstream".

I think we would both agree that the earliest designer of the iconic aerodynamic travel trailer using aircraft technology and riveted aluminum was in fact Hawley Bowlus.

Thank you for your referencing the book, Bowlus Trailers: The Origin of the Species, by John Long. John Long also wrote a two-part article, "Bowlus - The Origin of the Aluminum Travel Trailer Species", beginning in the Summer 2010 issue of Airstream Life magazine. In this article he wrote, "... Airstream was not the first to use aircraft technology for travel trailers. That started in 1934 with the Bowlus Road Chief, designed and built by aeronautical designer Hawley Bowlus. Two years later Wally Byam, founder of Airstream, adopted a similar design for his 1936 Airstream Clipper, which evolved to become the distinctive riveted aluminum shape recognized in America and around the world."

Thank you, also, for your work in helping Airstream Life republish The Byam Books - "Fifth Avenue on Wheels" and "Trailer Travel Here and Abroad".

-- Bill D.
SilverGate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 06:58 PM   #57
3 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Van Wert , Ohio
Jay would look good in a 16' Bambi ... But I suspect he is interested in something a bit larger ... However, whatever his choice, he will look great in silver.
hissilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 07:52 PM   #58
4 Rivet Member

1957 26' Overlander
Winston Salem , North Carolina
Personally, this video was painful to watch. Between the mispronunciations and lack of basic knowledge, I felt like this was just for show. It doesn't appear that Jay has any sort of true interest in this trailer...other than just saying he owns an Airstream. Whoop-de-doo.

Follow our blog! https://theoverlanderproject.blogspot.com/
lonewolf1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 08:26 PM   #59
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
I like the ducted, presumably quiet air conditioning, but it appears that might eliminate the skylights and vents... I guess I'll be happy with my skylights and vents.
Old 05-25-2013, 12:32 AM   #60
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Ducted air would be nice. Seems like it would lower the ceiling height, though. My "domestic" roof airs are LOUD. My previous SOB trailer had ducted air and it was quiter. I assumed ducted air wasn't possible in an Airstream because I thought there was only about an inch between inner skin and outer skin. Looks like they lowered the ceiling height to make it possible in the Land Yacht. Maybe duct the living room air from front skylight to bathroom skylight and duct the bedroom air from the bathroom skylight to the rear of the trailer.
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote