Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-30-2018, 08:47 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
I've got a big beef!!! And big bug problem!

OK, Airstream. Have you guys ever been on a sailboat? Do you know what a noseeum is? Do you know what kind of screens to use to stop them from coming in?

We just spent another evening bug zapping noseeums from inside the trailer!

Oh, and another thing. When you make a lighted handle for the main door (Classic), try not to make it the biggest brightest bug collector you've ever seen! Obviously not LED and of course, the perfect blue that matches the fluorescent bug zappers you buy to attract the bugs and kill them. Hundreds of insects just waiting for you to open the door and come flying in.

Airstream designers must never camp in an Airstream or this would never happen.

As soon as I get a chance, I am going to lowes to pickup noseeum screen and a screen tool to fix the bad deed that Airstream has done. What I can do with the lighted handle is just turn it off. Sad.

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 09:11 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
I don’t have the lighted door handle, thank the gods. Please let us know how the screen install goes. Our AS only has mosquito screens.

Note: You know what happened to the mosquito that managed to get through the window screen?

He strained himself 🤪
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 04:19 AM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
The LED in the base of the handle for the Pendleton and other models is amber. You may be able to swap it out for yours. The light is blue because that's Airstream's "official" color, not because they wanted to turn your trailer into the biggest bug collector int he campground.
Old 10-31-2018, 05:29 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Plenty of earlier comments on no-see-um screening:

https://www.google.com/search?q=nose...com&gws_rd=ssl
https://www.google.com/search?q=no+s...&bih=721&dpr=2

Recent threads:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f161...ws-187273.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f454...ow-177039.html

Good luck,

Peter

PS -- Put duct tape over the light so no-see-ums no-see-um the light? Get the dark side of the farce on your side!

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 05:41 AM   #5
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by turk123 View Post
...Do you know what a noseeum is? Do you know what kind of screens to use to stop them from coming in?

... Sad.
I'm happy with the window screening Airstream uses as a tighter no-see-um weave would not let in as much air for ventilation. No-see-ums aren't a problem where we camp (just flies and mosquitos.)
Old 10-31-2018, 09:27 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lebanon , Tennessee
I'm fairly sure that noseeum screens cut down on air flow quite a bit, that is the regular screen impedes air flow, wut then you have a screen that is even finer in weave, I noticed even less air flow. I made a detachable noseeum screen for a couple of windows. When not in use I just take them down and put under the mattress.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 09:56 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2018 23' International
Gulf Breeze , Florida
Quote:
OK, Airstream. Have you guys ever been on a sailboat? Do you know what a noseeum is? Do you know what kind of screens to use to stop them from coming in?

Oh, and another thing. When you make a lighted handle for the main door (Classic), try not to make it the biggest brightest bug collector you've ever seen! Obviously not LED and of course, the perfect blue that matches the fluorescent bug zappers you buy to attract the bugs and kill them. Hundreds of insects just waiting for you to open the door and come flying in.

As soon as I get a chance, I am going to lowes to pickup noseeum screen and a screen tool to fix the bad deed that Airstream has done. What I can do with the lighted handle is just turn it off. Sad.
I am so glad there are others that see that AS does not always use common sense for many applications. I made a dangerous error believing that this company has sustained the economic good times and bad and have still produced because the had a premier product that was worth the relatively high cost. I would have thought there was very little they would have not perfected at this point. Maybe as some of the European competition roles into the US and grabs some of AS's market share they may reconsider why not everyone believes that the AS is the Cadillac of Trailers any longer.
Dawny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 10:18 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:

You can't be serious with blaming Airstream for this.
My Grab Bar has a switch to turn on and off at will. As to the screens to keep out those tiny critters they are so fine you might as well keep your windows closed when camping in those areas. In six years of Air-streaming from coast to acoast and everything else in between I never ran into this problem. And that includes my boat in Florida. How about using some common sense instead of jumping on the blame someone bandwagon.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 10:20 AM   #9
Silver Star

1970 23' Safari
Victoria , British Columbia
as an X window screen builder you will find very poor ventilation with no-seeum mesh installed..... I wouldn't want the mesh in mine personally .... you might as well close the windows and turn the AC on....I like rzrbrn ' s idea of a temporary over screen though.
rucos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 10:34 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Rzrbrn, that sounds like a great idea! Removable screens fit between the glass and the existing screen. I’m also gonna see if AS will sell me tha amber light!

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 10:34 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
OK, Airstream. Have you guys ever been on a sailboat?
Yes! And anchored in the Everglades and lived to tell about it.
Boaters learn about "Pic coils" and "Avon Skin so soft".
Is Avon still in business?
Pic Coils made an undesirable atmosphere for the bugs (and humans), while Avon skin so soft kept them from landing on you, as well as making your bunk smell good.
I went from, "Look there's a mosquito" to running for my life into the boat with a swarm hot on my trail.

As far as the grab bar, I learned from a previous RV that over time the plastic gets internal faults you can see. One day it just snaps in two. Give me a stainless grab rail any day!
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 10:51 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawny View Post
Maybe as some of the European competition roles into the US and grabs some of AS's market share they may reconsider why not everyone believes that the AS is the Cadillac of Trailers any longer.
Actually, I think AS unfortunatly still probably is the Cadillac of Trailers; but they certainly are not the BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, Maybach, or Rolls Royce of Trailers. Anyone know what Cadillac's market share is among those with annual incomes in the six figures?
skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 11:15 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklyfrank View Post
You can't be serious with blaming Airstream for this.
My Grab Bar has a switch to turn on and off at will. As to the screens to keep out those tiny critters they are so fine you might as well keep your windows closed when camping in those areas. In six years of Air-streaming from coast to acoast and everything else in between I never ran into this problem. And that includes my boat in Florida. How about using some common sense instead of jumping on the blame someone bandwagon.
I mostly agree with this.

In all fairness, Airstream can’t plan and construct for all eventualities, and the screens are meant for ventilation and air movement as well as bug deter-ers.

If air couldn’t get through, that would be a problem.

Where there are those wicked noseeums, best to keep things closed up, in my experience, and treat yourself with an effective repellent to be outside.

Maggie
Old 10-31-2018, 11:53 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1973 21' Globetrotter
1975 26' Argosy 26
Vista , California
Bugs are part of the camping experience. Keep the lights off.
bibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 11:57 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Southwestern Ontario , Ontario Canada
Send a message via MSN to TRIPPPIN Send a message via Yahoo to TRIPPPIN
I retrofitted our EB with no see-um screens as we head to S. Florida often. I could not do the roof vents however. Yes the air flow is reduced but one other point to add is it makes it slightly darker than regular screens also. All that said I like our screens and it only took a few hours to replace. BTW replace them in place don't remove the frames it is easier to get them tight and smooth while they are in the final position installed..
TRIPPPIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 12:52 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Hailey , Idaho
FranklyFrank and Maggie said it...besides, no-see-ums are the most tender/susceptible of insects to mosquito spray. So "just a little dab'll do you"...same when you head outside. Its all part of camping, and compared to saltwater mosquitoes along the Gulf Coast, I'll take the easy-to-control no-see-ums any day. jon
B00merang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 02:21 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
For the "no seeums", we use Absorbine jr. Not only on our self,but clothes and the screens and doors of the AS. Not 100%, but does a good job.
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 02:25 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Best repellent is Avon Skin So Soft, diluted 1:1 with water, and sprayed on body and clothes in a liberal mist, as in "drenched!"

You might smell like a "Person of the Night" [PC ], but the gnats will gnat land on you!

Agree that a finer screen mesh will seriously reduce air flow, and is gnat worth it!

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 02:30 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2008 19' Bambi
2012 23' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Bandera , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
I mostly agree with this.

In all fairness, Airstream can’t plan and construct for all eventualities, and the screens are meant for ventilation and air movement as well as bug deter-ers.

If air couldn’t get through, that would be a problem.

Where there are those wicked noseeums, best to keep things closed up, in my experience, and treat yourself with an effective repellent to be outside.

Maggie
Maggie, let's not be reasonable here......
banderabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 03:20 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by banderabob View Post
Maggie, let's not be reasonable here......
And logic does not work around here all the time either...(grin).

If it's that buggy, DW won't go outside, and neither will the doggies...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote