Old 10-31-2018, 08:05 PM   #29
1 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Oviedo , Florida
Mosquito repeller.

The best mosquito repeller we use in Fl is called a Thermocell available most Hardware, Bass Pro, or Walmart stores. Protects a 10 x 10’ area. 2 will protect the awning area of an AS.

David2638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 08:20 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
North Bay , Ontario
We have an off grid Island property in Canada. Absolutely beautiful country. At night those tiny bugs can fill the kitchen ceiling (by the light) in the evening and in the morning they are magically gone.

Mosquitos can be bothersome at times. We spray the base of the sliding screen doors and this can help.

I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Albireo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 12:17 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by aftermath View Post
. . .
Also laughed out loud at some of the responses. And...I am gnat lying.
Thanks

. . . gnaturally!

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 10:34 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
I spray the screens with Bengal Flying Insect spray, it's the best and if a no seeum lands on the screen, they die quick.
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 10:08 AM   #33
1 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Phoenix , Arizona
Hi Turk123... There is a simple solution to the insect issues ; ) Kathy & I lived in the Amazon for a year doing research. Insects were a problem. Our coach has similar screens as yours, and our screening in the Amazon isn't any different. Here's how to navigate this issue...

Get Permethrin spray (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001ANQVYU/ref=emc_b_5_t) and spray all your screens and directly onto any lights. Nothing will pass through your screens for roughly 2 weeks. In fact, you can even spray this on your dog and any clothing you're wearing while outside (hiking or resting). No ticks, mosquitoes, or... any insect will venture close to you. If you wash your clothes after the application, no worries. It remains on your clothing for about 2 weeks.

The Permethrin I linked to is for .5% strength, which is what we used and still use. You can get a more concentrated version (10%). This could be sprayed around your campsite entryway to ensure no ticks or fleas come close (like when your pet walks up).

Also, you can add a half ounce of 10% permethrin to your rinse cycle (rinse twice) for any clothing you plan to wear outside (like when we were in the jungle exploring every day). You'll never get a tick, flea or chigger... ever! Be sure your socks are in this rinse cycle, haha...

This stuff is environmentally friendly (made from a flower and concentrated).

Do NOT breathe this in. It remains a pesticide, so a measure of precaution is in order.

I know for sure this works and hope it helps you folks ; )

Best Wishes
Jerry Wills
Xpeditions, Inc.
http://TheJerryWillsShow.com
XpeditionsTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 11:31 AM   #34

Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
I just wear dog flea collars on my wrists and ankles and around my neck - never bothered by any insects.
ButchT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 02:15 PM   #35

1972 31' Excella 500
Saulsbury , Tennessee
I make screens for no-seeum bugs. Call me at 615 -838-3814
Vintage Air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 06:16 PM   #36
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Jacksonville , Florida
I'm from Florida. I run the AC and keep the windows shut. You can keep the noseems out, humidity out and the extra heat out.

Just turn the handle light off. Then you can complain about the door light, the patio light and the canopy light rope. They all have off switches. Of course we had a "bug light" in the SOB and in Fla the bugs come anyway. If you use citrenalla torches/candles outside under the right wind conditions it will keep the under the canopy relatively bug free-er.

Noseems can't fly very well. You can get a n oscillating fan and keep them off of you. At least the windward side.

Of course if you are going to bring sailboats into the AS discussion just anchor your airstream about 50 yards off the beach. Skeeters and noseems usually can't get past about 25 yards.
Overstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 07:37 PM   #37

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Steamboat springs , Colorado
Bugs

The idea of a removable screen is great. We just bought a new Sport and the bug kill this season has been overwhelming. I hate using the a/c
Home Depot is the place for me! Thanks for that great idea.
deedeerode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 09:26 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
What do you all do about the slots for the lifters on your trailer windows? Ours have some kind of fuzzy stuff mounted to them. The fuzz reduces the width of the slot, but there is still room for bugs to come through. And at the end when the lifter rod rests when the window is closed, the fuzz has an extra wide hole. Our trailer has been this way since it was new in 2013.

Our (unsatisfactory) solution is to put a piece of tape over the slot when we open the windows in bug country. When the window is opened half way, that requires tape on each side of the lifter handle. We use 3M vinyl tape, and keep it for multiple uses.
SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 09:59 PM   #39

2006 34' Classic
Wellington , Nevada
Send a message via AIM to mgvansickle
Spray your regular screen with bug spray that has deet. Once it dries, should prevent the no see ums. Hubby and I lived on a boat for 7 years. We now land yacht in our airstream. This is our 3rd in 17 years. Sorry, just can’t beat them!
mgvansickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 05:05 AM   #40
PCJ
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Eden Prairie , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by turk123 View Post
OK, Airstream. Have you guys ever been on a sailboat? Do you know what a noseeum is? Do you know what kind of screens to use to stop them from coming in?

We just spent another evening bug zapping noseeums from inside the trailer!

Oh, and another thing. When you make a lighted handle for the main door (Classic), try not to make it the biggest brightest bug collector you've ever seen! Obviously not LED and of course, the perfect blue that matches the fluorescent bug zappers you buy to attract the bugs and kill them. Hundreds of insects just waiting for you to open the door and come flying in.

Airstream designers must never camp in an Airstream or this would never happen.

As soon as I get a chance, I am going to lowes to pickup noseeum screen and a screen tool to fix the bad deed that Airstream has done. What I can do with the lighted handle is just turn it off. Sad.
We also have a Classic, and we like our blue door handle. We have a "Hot Shot" and leave it on our table and seems as though it kills them. Also you can get the blue can of raid and bomb the inside and leave the trailer for 30 minutes and then they are all gone. Spraying the screen with the same stuff also helps.
PCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 05:42 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Chesterfield , Missouri
This thread is interesting. We’ve never encountered a serious problem with Noseeums. However, we’ve only camped one week in the FL panhandle, and that was a spring break trip. Most of our trips have been west. Escaping the Missouri heat and humidity. However, we did run into small gnats that came through the screens on our trip around Lake Superior, but they didn’t bite, just were there, and not welcome. We just kept lighting to a minimum in the trailer while we were inside. Still spent most of the time outside (with a thermacell going for mosquitoes) while we were in camp.
We encountered really biting noseeums on top of Harney Peak in SD many years ago, but were back there a few months ago, and they were nowhere to be found.
Where’s the worst part of the country, and at what time of year, for noseeums? If it’s Florida in the summer, I don’t think it’ll be a huge problem for us.
But retirement is months away, and our usual getaway trips are really going to change to exploring the rest of the US and Canada. I’m going to find some “Permethrin” (Thank you Jerry) and keep it handy.
Worst bites I’ve had are from black flies. The bites seem to stay around 100x longer than a mosquito bite, and bother me 10x more.
Old 11-10-2018, 02:39 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
No-See-Uum's.... Bahh Humbug.

In the Midwest they would no doubt compete with:

Chiggers... the competing 'King of Pests'. Mosquitos, no doubt, even fear them more than I.