Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-18-2018, 06:23 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Decatur , Georgia
It’s our Airstream 6 Monthaversary!

In mid-February, we took delivery of our ’18 25RB Intl Serenity. Thanks to the good folks at Southland RV and all of you, we were pretty well prepared. I can honestly say that we’ve been 100% happy with our choice of unit and Airstream in general. No quality issues and no big disasters. We’ve taken 5 weekend trips and 1 weeklong to-date. While we learned many of the big do’s/don’ts and best practices from folks here on the forums, there are some things you just have to experience yourself.

In celebration of our rig’s 6 month birthday, here are a few we’ve learned during that time for the once and future newbies out there.

THE GOOD:
  • We were concerned about build quality and have been SO pleasantly surprised. There’s been only one repair: a bolt disappeared from one of the steps. We engineered a temp fix, then ordered TWO replacement sets from OODM. Now we’re prepared for the next time.
  • Towing and backing has been much easier than expected. We’d had a bit of towing experience previously, but were far from confident. The rear camera is a huge help and Ford’s Pro Trailer Backup Assist ROCKS -- once it’s set up. Those walkie-talkies are marriage-savers too.
  • Boondocking: The key to happiness and available campsites! So far, thanks to solar and some miserly habits that we learned here, we’ve made it 4 days --without battery drain and with a little water left in the tank. Turned off the inverter. Haven’t had to use the propane generator, yet. With books, Scrabble & a puppy: we don’t need the television for entertainment.
  • Our 2 dogs and the giant puppy settled in much better than expected. Everyone quickly found their spots and learned the routine. Getting them to equitably share their truck space is another matter.
THE NOT-GREAT:
  • Two people, nevermind 3 dogs, just concentrate dust and dirt in a <200sqft space. Expect to sweep and/or vacuum at least once a day. Go ahead…indulge in that Dyson.
  • Cell service. This might be worthy of a separate rant covering politics, economic development, taxes and a whole bunch of other issues. But let’s just leave it at this: we’re surprised and frustrated at, in 2018, how much of the not-so-rural south is an ATT and maybe VZ, dead zone. (I’m looking at you, Damascus and Galax VA!) Not encouraging for working from the road...guess we'll just have to retire.
  • The fridge fan. It’s been replaced with a switched, better, quieter one. What fridge fan?
  • Stupid human tricks: You will conk your head on the awning support and maybe on a window. Maybe more than once. Maybe resulting in a black eye. Now a pool noodle covers the awning support next to the door and bright tape is on the edges of those pesky windows.
  • Trips will be with bikes/paddleboard or with dogs. No way to do both well and safely.
  • Better wear black on hitching/unhitching days! Graphite grease is pain to get out of clothes.
THE RANDOM.
  • Routine and process is key when setting up and taking down. Check and double check is a good practice too. But: if you don’t follow that setup/takedown checklist, you just might destroy your chocks.
  • Leveling: more art than science.
  • Even though the dogs are helpful composters, that little trash can fills up fast! We replaced our after-dinner walks with the “walk of trash”. Met some great people and had some nice conversations!
  • It seems you can’t have too many junk towels. Everything from cleaning feet (human and canine) to attempting to keep mud out of the trailer. Good for epic, puppy-induced coffee spills too.
  • Never enough command hooks (silver-toned!) either. Or door mats. Or ideas on how to make our little 2nd home more “ours”. More on that in another post!
In summary, we couldn’t be happier with this new adventure and phase of our lives. Thanks to everyone who helped along the way. So glad to join “all y’all”!
runswithdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 06:30 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Such a nice positive post from folks having fun and adventure in their Airstream with some tips and ideas thrown in for good measure.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 06:35 PM   #3
Trailer Sold, Waving

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Stettler , Alberta
Pretty much nailed my first two weeks. Life is good with a Dyson Animal. More carpet mats. Love those microfiber Costco packs. There is a 4th detent on the awning. That pleather on the Airstream dinette cushions is worth every penny. Cleans up anything spilled on it. A-n-y-t-h-i-n-g.
Mobile RV repair is worth much more than sitting in line at an Airstream dealer. Suck it up.
The most essential piece of campground amenities is proximity to a cell tower.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0042.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	308.1 KB
ID:	317407  
WBCCI #6679
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 06:53 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithdogs View Post
I can honestly say that we’ve been 100% happy with our choice of unit and Airstream in general. No quality issues and no big disasters.

Nice report runswithdogs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acheron2010 View Post
Pretty much nailed my first two weeks.

Glad to know you're enjoying your Airstreams.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 09:27 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2015 22' FB Sport
Boothbay Harbor , Maine
new, too!

We bought our 2015 Bambi in May along with our tv, a Toyota Tundra 2018. We are tent campers for over 30 years, so to us this is "glamping". I have been religiously reading the daily forums, so we felt prepared and off we went. We travel with a complete tool box, duck tape, a good tire pressure gauge and compressor, a mini bug zapper for those nasty little bugs at night that are caught in our airstream, and our wheaten terrier. The hardest part so far has been where to store the airstream when you are not using it. We are lucky to have found two places, each near our Florida home and Maine home, for $50 a month. Backing up the first night on our first trip was a bit hairy since we travelled for too many hours and were a bit punch drunk, but that said it's been easy goin' ever since. Just wanted you all to know that thanks to you and your ideas, we are having a great time!
dnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 10:25 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
I have the Ford’s Pro Trailer Backup Assist on my F-150 but was told I cannot use it. Background: Before my 3-month 'shakedown cruise', I made an appointment with my Ford dealer (with trailer hitched) to have it set up. They were completely baffled by this option and had no idea what it was for, how to use it, much less set it up (this is a FORD dealer that sold me on this option!!) Finally, one of the mechanics read the installation book with me and then took a look at my rig. Immediately, he said it couldn't be installed because the Airstream's propane cover obstructs clear line of sight between truck and the black-and-white 'cards' that to on the hitch's V-frame. He said even with the propane cover removed, it probably still could not be installed unless the propane tanks were moved! So please tell me, how did you make your's work? Many thanks.
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 10:40 AM   #7

Spring , Texas
Enjoyed your post runswithdogs! Thanks for sharing.
GuyJenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 04:12 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
Lady Lake , Florida
Curious why the awning dents?

. There is a 4th detent on the awning.

As a newbie why awning dents? How did that happen Something I'm missing. ?

I'm sure we're in for our share of the fun. We pick up our trailer the 31st headed to the Keys.
Life is a Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 06:40 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Decatur , Georgia
Pat, We "turned down" the reflectivity on the tank covers with a taped-on piece of plastic. The checkboard sticker has to be within a certain range of the ball-- we were at the limits there. Some people have placed their sticker vertically with success; we didn't have to.

I do understand that if you have a PP hitch, it's considerably more difficult if not impossible.

We found that having a long, straight, level area (maybe an industrial park driveway?) to get it to recognize and calibrate was the final piece of the puzzle. Also keep in mind that it will "lose" the trailer if you are turned at a significant angle and stopped. You're ok if you are moving.

It took a few tries, but we got it! Send us a PM if you'd like more help! There's no substitute for skills, but this sure makes everyday backing a whole lot less stressful!
Old 07-19-2018, 06:42 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Decatur , Georgia
Dents?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Life is a Highway View Post
. There is a 4th detent on the awning.

As a newbie why awning dents? How did that happen Something I'm missing. ?

I'm sure we're in for our share of the fun. We pick up our trailer the 31st headed to the Keys.

LIAH: The only dents are on my head. No damage to the rig!
Old 07-20-2018, 05:27 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' International
Cumming , Georgia
Loved your comments! We picked up our 30’ International Serenity from Southland RV in mid Feb 2017, so we’re one year ahead of you! I’ve been back to Southland to adjust the door, wouldn’t latch without very hard slam, the power ZipDee awning power cord cut itself and was replaced, the converter went out and was replaced, and lastly the fridge stopped working on ac, fuse was blown. Southland did an excellent job correcting all issues, while I waited. Paul is a very good tech. Nice and knowledgeable.
Where do you go in Galax, VA? We are at Fries RV Park in Fries, VA right now,.
Anyway, we love our Airstream and all the very nice people we meet on EVERY trip!!
Enjoy!!
Scott59 is offline   Reply With Quote