Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-12-2018, 08:41 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
It’s not just new AIRSTREAMs that have QA problems.

I copied this from a post on Facebook.

“Need help. Or suggestions. We bought a new Jayco camper in July of 2016. Absolutely love it , love camping. But we noticed a factory flaw which resulted in water damage to rear wall. We took it in to shop to be repaired they kept it over 5 weeks. Meanwhile we are still making notes on and paying for monthly spot for camper at a campground. They told us they damaged the rear backside of camper during repair that we would have to bring it back for that repair later when it came in and it should only take about two hours to repair that. WELL !!!!!! What they failed to tell us was how they damaged so many other things in our camper. Joe and I are sick about the whole thing. So we called Jayco then we called the service department they assured us it would be fixed to our satisfaction. We are still paying the note and the spot at the campground and still have no camper. And we really don’t have much faith that they will be able to fix it back to the beautiful camper that it was when we took it in. They messed up the decals they broke our couch they left foot prints on couch and trash and nails were all over the floor and couch. We have the pics. The worst thing was the roof. It looked as if 5 year olds had ripped it back then replaced it there was bubbles all over it. We have called Jayco countless times and we aren’t getting anywhere. No money for lawyer. We don’t know what if anything we can do. Camper estimated finished by February maybe.”

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 09:30 PM   #2
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
It is ....... disappointing.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 09:43 PM   #3
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
Their story is not uncommon.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 10:28 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Granbury , Texas
We have several friends with different brands and models and very similar complaints. The RV industry overall has grown too fast in the last few year as babyboomers started buying. The dealerships haven't expanded to take care of the volume of units they are selling. They can't hire good experienced techs and the ones they have are overworked. Most dealerships have more sales people then service people. Some dealers don't have service at all. Unlike the auto industry there are few other choices with some Mobile RV Techs being the exception. A disaster has been brewing and now coming home to roost.
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 10:33 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
(Sigh). All too true. I’m just awfully glad I can do most of the work, albeit slower than a “professional”, but I take the time to do it right.

About the only one I’m willing to hire would be Lewster, because from what I’ve seen, what he does, he does right...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 12:54 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
The quality control on these things has always been bad. The older units were not better. We had campers and house boats etc in the 70's when I was growing up and there was always a leak that caused rot and eventually the whole thing succumbed to the leaks and resulting rot. Hard to keep one nice unless it is covered. I am dealing with this on a 2006 SOB made by Jayco on some property we just bought. I gave up trying to fix leaks for now and just put a tarp over it. Good luck with your trailer.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 09:58 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
West Liberty , Kentucky
Not only is service and repair an issue, it is getting harder to book reservations in good camp grounds when you need them...hard to anticipate a year or so in advance.
Air4563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 11:18 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1994 34' Limited
colebrook , Connecticut
Thor ndustries

I don't know if Jayco is a subsidiary of Thor Industries or not. AirStream is.

If Jayco is a Thor Co. Thor is owned by Berkshire Hathaway Co. Maybe a letter to Warren Buffett will get some action. .

Mark
malett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 12:34 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1993 32' Excella
Woodburn , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
I copied this from a post on Facebook.

“Need help. Or suggestions. We bought a new Jayco camper in July of 2016. Absolutely love it , love camping. But we noticed a factory flaw which resulted in water damage to rear wall. We took it in to shop to be repaired they kept it over 5 weeks. Meanwhile we are still making notes on and paying for monthly spot for camper at a campground. They told us they damaged the rear backside of camper during repair that we would have to bring it back for that repair later when it came in and it should only take about two hours to repair that. WELL !!!!!! What they failed to tell us was how they damaged so many other things in our camper. Joe and I are sick about the whole thing. So we called Jayco then we called the service department they assured us it would be fixed to our satisfaction. We are still paying the note and the spot at the campground and still have no camper. And we really don’t have much faith that they will be able to fix it back to the beautiful camper that it was when we took it in. They messed up the decals they broke our couch they left foot prints on couch and trash and nails were all over the floor and couch. We have the pics. The worst thing was the roof. It looked as if 5 year olds had ripped it back then replaced it there was bubbles all over it. We have called Jayco countless times and we aren’t getting anywhere. No money for lawyer. We don’t know what if anything we can do. Camper estimated finished by February maybe.”

Have you thought of a law suit? Incompetence is not a defense. Your losses seem to grow by the day, not including the value of the time you have been unable to use the rv. I am not an attorney and cannot give you any legal advise or insight, but this certainly seems like it is worth consulting an attorney. Find one that practices "tort" law or personal injury. From your description I think you are the victims of a total loss.

David Parker
1993 Excella 32'
1989 Dodge D-350
davidlparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 01:10 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
(..About the only one I’m willing to hire would be Lewster, because from what I’ve seen, what he does, he does right...
Has anyone heard from Lewster lately? Hoping things are all right... Haven't seen any recent posts from him and they are always a good read.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 02:02 PM   #11
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by malett View Post
I don't know if Jayco is a subsidiary of Thor Industries or not. AirStream is.

If Jayco is a Thor Co. Thor is owned by Berkshire Hathaway Co. Maybe a letter to Warren Buffett will get some action. .

Mark
Jayco is owned by Thor. However, Thor is definitely NOT owned by Berkshire Hathaway. I believe you are thinking about Forest River which is owned by Berkshire Hathaway.
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 02:25 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidlparker View Post
Have you thought of a law suit? Incompetence is not a defense. Your losses seem to grow by the day, not including the value of the time you have been unable to use the rv. I am not an attorney and cannot give you any legal advise or insight, but this certainly seems like it is worth consulting an attorney. Find one that practices "tort" law or personal injury. From your description I think you are the victims of a total loss.

David Parker
1993 Excella 32'
1989 Dodge D-350

Please reread my OP. This is not my trailer. The post was copied from a SOB Facebook page.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 02:53 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Box Elder (formerly Long Island, NY) , South Dakota
Chuck Woodbury of RVTravel.com has been banging a drum about this for several years now. The sad truth is that Quality Control at MOST RV builders is NOT a priority. MANY units get ZERO inspection before leaving the factory (and then, not much at the dealer either). The first unit off the line that day may get looked at. After that, "corporate" figures nothing will go wrong that day (yeah, good luck with that). Before automobile "Lemon Laws" were enacted, too many cars left the factories with problems. Only after Lemon Laws were passed, and car makers were forced to stand behind what they shipped, did the buying public see major improvements. Congress is currently bogged down with partisan in-fighting. Don't expect them to do anything productive, anytime soon, that would benefit RV buyers. RV buyers need to be MUCH better-educated consumers (something I don't expect to see anytime soon either). RV corporate execs know that "eye-candy" sells and, most RV builders produce GREAT eye-candy. First-time buyers would do well attending an RV Boot Camp to learn as much as possible BEFORE they spend tens (or hundreds) of thousands of dollars, on what may well turn out to be an expensive mistake. The Escapees run an EXCELLENT RVBC, often over a weekend. Several other groups also offer RVBCs. Although the primary goal of RVBC is RV orientation and safety, attendees will get good information about becoming informed RV buyers. Time and money spent attending an RVBC is a WISE investment, especially for RV "newbies".
NY24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 03:28 PM   #14
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Hey Boxite et al,

I'm here.....usually in the background just sucking up the posts until I can make an exemplary comment about this or that.

Do you have a specific question (or 2) that I can answer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
Has anyone heard from Lewster lately? Hoping things are all right... Haven't seen any recent posts from him and they are always a good read.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 06:30 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2004 22' Safari
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
(Sigh). All too true. I’m just awfully glad I can do most of the work, albeit slower than a “professional”, but I take the time to do it right.

About the only one I’m willing to hire would be Lewster, because from what I’ve seen, what he does, he does right...
I figure NOBODY will take as much or more care repairing trailer things than I will... so if I can fix it, I will... although Holiday Trailer Sales in Albuquerque may be an exception!
Silver.Sanctuary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 07:26 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
I had a terrible experience from the AS dealer in Minnesota. We bought a new AS. They installed the WDH and when I got home I could actually turn the bolts with my hands. We were very fortunate not to have an accident. I emailed the salesman about refunding the installation. Heard nothing back. It will be a cold day in you know where before I take it back there for service. I live close to Milwaukee and will take it there.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 07:10 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I don't have enough room here or time to tel y'all my 2009 Forest River Wildwood story.
That is the reason I have an Airstream now.
Likewise, I don't have room or time to tell you the story of my bad dealer experience when I bought the Airstream.
Thank goodness for the factory service center in Jackson Center, OH.
I wonder if the Jayco owner has time to take the trailer back to the factory or if Jayco has a factory service center.
Airstream and Jayco both are now owned be Thor.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 04:05 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Sometime , Alabama
Dealer Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
I don't have enough room here or time to tel y'all my 2009 Forest River Wildwood story.
That is the reason I have an Airstream now.
Likewise, I don't have room or time to tell you the story of my bad dealer experience when I bought the Airstream.
Thank goodness for the factory service center in Jackson Center, OH.
I wonder if the Jayco owner has time to take the trailer back to the factory or if Jayco has a factory service center.
Airstream and Jayco both are now owned be Thor.
m.hony...
I see that you are in MS. By chance did you purchase from Foley RV? We have visited Foley RV a few times and have considered purchasing from them. You mention a bad dealer experience. Please let me know if that was with Foley RV. I am interested in your dealer experience. Feel free to PM me if that would be the better communication choice on this subject.
Thanks!
bigcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 08:55 AM   #19
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Hi Daquenzer,

We're sorry to learn about the issue you described in your 2017 28' International. Please call our customer service and technical support team at*1 (877) 596-6111, option 2 so we can learn more and help.

Thanks.
Old 01-16-2018, 09:12 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcountry View Post
m.hony...
I see that you are in MS. By chance did you purchase from Foley RV? We have visited Foley RV a few times and have considered purchasing from them. You mention a bad dealer experience. Please let me know if that was with Foley RV. I am interested in your dealer experience. Feel free to PM me if that would be the better communication choice on this subject.
Thanks!

No.
I wish I had purchased from Foley.
My experience would have been better.
I think Foley might be a good choice.
Their service department is on par with the factory service center.
I like Foley.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote