Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-30-2012, 12:47 AM   #71
Previous Streamer
 
Roswell , New Mexico
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 4
8 heart attacks/17 procedures - now I know the cause.

I had my first heart attack on Aug 12, 1993. At first I thought I had the flu - upset stomach, felt like I was running a fever. I drove home from work at 10 am, fell into bed, woke up at 4:30, wife drove me to doctor, then hospital, they operated on me at 5:30. I've had 7 more attacks and sixteen procedures since.

Now we know the cause - Celiac Spru (Wheat gluten intolerance). Caused inflamed arteries. I haven't had any problems since the diagnosis (5 years).

Symptoms can vary widely. If it feels wrong - don't chance it - get medical help!

Thank you lord for allowing me to KEEP ON CAMPING!

Gary
__________________

__________________
52TailGunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 03:27 AM   #72
New Member
 
1975 Argosy 28
Strathmore , Alberta
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1
Send a message via Skype™ to the_ugly1
thank God you found out what it was. Glad your still around to camp.
__________________

__________________
the_ugly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 07:41 AM   #73
Rivet Master
 
casa3805's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 869
Images: 41
Wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by 52TailGunner View Post
I had my first heart attack on Aug 12, 1993. At first I thought I had the flu - upset stomach, felt like I was running a fever. I drove home from work at 10 am, fell into bed, woke up at 4:30, wife drove me to doctor, then hospital, they operated on me at 5:30. I've had 7 more attacks and sixteen procedures since.

Now we know the cause - Celiac Spru (Wheat gluten intolerance). Caused inflamed arteries. I haven't had any problems since the diagnosis (5 years).

Symptoms can vary widely. If it feels wrong - don't chance it - get medical help!

Thank you lord for allowing me to KEEP ON CAMPING!

Gary
So glad you made it thru the multiple heart attacks and procedures. You may have just helped me out some. At my last post all was progressing well, since then, pulse has dropped to low 40's, and we are trying to get it back up to something normal by adjusting meds. Stop this one, stop that one, add this new one, if BP goes up then double up on this other one... kind of mind boggling. And the BP/Pulse are not yet right. Pacemaker is the new buzzword I am hearing in the Dr's office...Still get minor pains in my chest and meds are not making a difference in that. I get tired very easily. Wore a heart monitoring harness for a day, back in for stress test today, blood work to check on thyroids and potassium. Ugh... Adjusted my hours at work, only working half days now. Have taken only one short trip in the Airstream since it all began and I think Soldier Medic and his wife were pretty worried and looked ready to spring into action as they watched the heat take a toll on me. (Thanks for the concern Steve and Amy!)
I am going to research the gluten issues. From my first glance, it looks like a difficult diet, but if needed...
Fellow Streamers, Heart Attacks are nasty, life altering, events. Please don't be stupid like I was.
Thanks for the post Gary! So glad you made it.
__________________
Chuck & Skye
Rock and Roll Will Never Die!

WBCCI 3805
AIR 54011 Since July 2011
casa3805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 01:17 PM   #74
LJH
Rivet Master
 
LJH's Avatar
 
1985 27' Sovereign
Defiance , Ohio
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,254
We are so glad you made it Chuck!That was a close one. Great info too. Mary +Larry
__________________
LJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 06:11 PM   #75
4 Rivet Member
 
Gypsy Jo's Avatar
 
1977 28' Argosy 28
Bullhead City , Arizona
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 393
Images: 3
Blog Entries: 1
Chuck
I hope they get everything worked out for you and you start feeling better.
I don't think you were stupid you are still alive.
Jo
__________________
Gypsy Jo
1977 Argosy 28' Motor Home
Gypsy Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 07:01 PM   #76
2 Rivet Member
 
benjisgal's Avatar
 
2010 23' FB Flying Cloud
Fayetteville , Georgia
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 96
Images: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by casa3805 View Post
So glad you made it thru the multiple heart attacks and procedures. You may have just helped me out some. At my last post all was progressing well, since then, pulse has dropped to low 40's, and we are trying to get it back up to something normal by adjusting meds. Stop this one, stop that one, add this new one, if BP goes up then double up on this other one... kind of mind boggling. And the BP/Pulse are not yet right. Pacemaker is the new buzzword I am hearing in the Dr's office...Still get minor pains in my chest and meds are not making a difference in that. I get tired very easily. Wore a heart monitoring harness for a day, back in for stress test today, blood work to check on thyroids and potassium. Ugh... Adjusted my hours at work, only working half days now. Have taken only one short trip in the Airstream since it all began and I think Soldier Medic and his wife were pretty worried and looked ready to spring into action as they watched the heat take a toll on me. (Thanks for the concern Steve and Amy!)
I am going to research the gluten issues. From my first glance, it looks like a difficult diet, but if needed...
Fellow Streamers, Heart Attacks are nasty, life altering, events. Please don't be stupid like I was.
Thanks for the post Gary! So glad you made it.
My healthy, 52-year old brother was experiencing similar symptoms and was just diagnosed with giant cell myocarditis. The outlook is grim. He has a life vest right now. It still is all new to us. What is so earth-shattering to me--it seems there are not many options out there except heart transplantation to prolong life. For the short-term, immunosuppression drugs and steroids---only to hold on for heart transplantation. The difficulty is to find a heart.
__________________
Benjisgal
WBCCI #1122
Top of Georgia Unit #52
ďI donít want to get to the end of my life and find that I lived just the length of it; I want to have lived the width of it as well.Ē
---Diane Ackerman (Author, poet, essayist, naturalist)
benjisgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 03:12 PM   #77
Rivet Master
 
casa3805's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 869
Images: 41
Better

Thanks for going on this roller coaster with me folks. I know this thread is a hard read. Aluminum is a great healer though. I'm pretty sure it is a scientific fact!
Great visit with Dr. today. No Pacemaker in my future.
Basically, I've been told to step up the exercise from 3 times a week to a daily thing. Moderate exercise, don't try to do a marathon, but get in at least a half hour every day.
I am soooo ready to go camping! Really, I can't wait to go further than 30 minutes from home. And I can see that on the horizon now!!

So once again, thanks for listening, and as always, pay close attention when your body is screaming at you. Don't be stupid like I was!
__________________
Chuck & Skye
Rock and Roll Will Never Die!

WBCCI 3805
AIR 54011 Since July 2011
casa3805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:50 PM   #78
Rivet Master
 
Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 6,421
Blog Entries: 2
glad to here the good news and thanks for the advise. Jim
__________________
avionstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:28 PM   #79
Rivet Master
 
soldiermedic's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 5,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by casa3805 View Post
Thanks for going on this roller coaster with me folks. I know this thread is a hard read. Aluminum is a great healer though. I'm pretty sure it is a scientific fact!
Great visit with Dr. today. No Pacemaker in my future.
Basically, I've been told to step up the exercise from 3 times a week to a daily thing. Moderate exercise, don't try to do a marathon, but get in at least a half hour every day.
I am soooo ready to go camping! Really, I can't wait to go further than 30 minutes from home. And I can see that on the horizon now!!

So once again, thanks for listening, and as always, pay close attention when your body is screaming at you. Don't be stupid like I was!
Lance and I were discussing a Thanksgiving get together..
__________________
Streaming Soldiers Blog
soldiermedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 10:13 PM   #80
Rivet Master
 
casa3805's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 869
Images: 41
OK with me. I will have to check with the wifey. Somewhere in your direction? Although this is the time to be at the beach. Blanco is right after Thanksgiving so it will be tricky tricky to pull off both of them so close together. But if there is a way....we should do it.
__________________

__________________
Chuck & Skye
Rock and Roll Will Never Die!

WBCCI 3805
AIR 54011 Since July 2011
casa3805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.