Old 06-24-2012, 09:08 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goal15 View Post
Glad you are on you way to recovery, and Rednax is right.... leave the brush until the dead of winter when its down in the 60s down there.

Best
Dana
But it was brush pickup time! (-: You guys are right. Skye says it all the time. Stay inside till winter when we have those brutal 65 degree days....

WBCCI 3805
AIR 54011 Since July 2011
casa3805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 11:25 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1997 30' Limited
Omaha , Nebraska
Quote:
Originally Posted by casa3805 View Post
There is more, lots more. Much of it is pyschological, Watching my wifes face as I was rolled away from her, wondering if it was going to be my last time... Realizing I survived, but finally comprehending how close it was. Missing work, cardiac rehab, cancelling work I had scheduled on the Airstream because now I don't know if I can pay for it.

I made it. Please listen when your body tries to warn you. It really does try.
I can't wait to get back in the Airstream. But slow down, the Dr's say, take it really, really slow...So I wait, I walk, I recover. Don't make this mistake.
Chuck, very well written and an important message to those of us who tend to "tough it out". The quoted paragraph hit a special note with me as I, too, had what I'm now calling my "Heart Event" on April 4th, while returning home from the Southwest. It was scary being loaded on a chopper in Santa Rosa, NM, headed to Albuquerque, leaving my wife with a 53 foot rig she couldn't drive. The doctor said I had an aortic aneurysm and time was ticking.

Well I made it with less than an hour to spare according to the surgeon. I now have a "zipper chest" and a Dacron aorta. But the real story is about the recovery, the major life changes, realizing what's really important, and the importance of a supportive and loving family.

Thanks for sharing,

JIM

P.S. Guess how much a 122 mile chopper ride costs.

WBCCI #22116
JimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 12:19 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
My Fake Heart Attack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by casa3805 View Post
But it was...Jun 11 I had a heart attack. 100% blockage of left anterior descending. (big vein on left side). Dr called it "The Widow Maker". They were able to clear it and put in a stent. This makes me nothing special. Lots of folks have survived heart attacks. But here is what I wanted to do. I want to let you know what it felt like so you can avoid it. I want to let you know that I first felt it over a week earlier. Clearing brush out of the back yard. It felt like severe gas, I kept trying to burp to make it feel better, and it did. It came back daily, after exertion, and it began to be accompainied by sweats, and it was hard to breathe. But if I sat down, it went away...
1) I blamed it on gas. Wrong
2) My CPAP machine was being repaired so I blamed it on that. Wrong
I had a week long heart attack! Stupid!
On the 11th, it was everything you read, severe crushing chest pain, numbness in my fingers, sweating, shoulders hurt, jaw hurt, could not take deep breaths, nausea...I was extremely lucky. Please dear Airstream friends, do not wait till you have been having one for a week like me. Please do not look for every excuse EXCEPT a heart attack.

There is more, lots more. Much of it is pyschological, Watching my wifes face as I was rolled away from her, wondering if it was going to be my last time... Realizing I survived, but finally comprehending how close it was. Missing work, cardiac rehab, cancelling work I had scheduled on the Airstream because now I don't know if I can pay for it.

I made it. Please listen when your body tries to warn you. It really does try.
I can't wait to get back in the Airstream. But slow down, the Dr's say, take it really, really slow...So I wait, I walk, I recover. Don't make this mistake.
Hi, so glad to hear that you got taken care of. And glad that you posted for the rest of us to learn from. Here's my story and I call it my Fake Heart Attack. I was working around the house and helping a neighbor on a hot day. I went home for dinner and was getting what I call an MSG attack. But eating at home, I knew there was no MSG. I had a hard time beathing and had to stay standing up and had to go outside of my house. My wife asked me what was wrong and I told her it felt like an MSG attack, but she knew that I didn't have any MSG at home. So to the hospital I went. I spent the night there and they ran all kinds of tests on me, but found nothing wrong and my heart was real strong. I was sent home. Trying to think what caused this feeling, we decided that me being a COLA ADICT might not help. So I stopped drinking RC, Coca, & Pepsi Cola's and I have been fine ever since. If you get that feeling, get checked anyhow, because you never know. I have told quite a few people the story about "My Fake Heart Attack."

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 12:32 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1992 29' Excella
Currently Looking...
THE RANCH , Texas
Howdy from the other end of TEXAS! Glad you are recovering and are willing to share your story with all of us.

GOD is good...all the time! You are a blessed man....don't waste GOD'S mercy....HE has more things planned for you.....slow down and enjoy life's joys.....the brush will wait....blessings......Callie

COURAGE IS BEING SCARED TO DEATH BUT SADDLING UP ANYWAY........JOHN WAYNE
callie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 06:53 AM   #19
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimW View Post
It was scary being loaded on a chopper in Santa Rosa, NM, headed to Albuquerque, leaving my wife with a 53 foot rig she couldn't drive. The doctor said I had an aortic aneurysm and time was ticking.
Well I made it with less than an hour to spare according to the surgeon. I now have a "zipper chest" and a Dacron aorta. But the real story is about the recovery, the major life changes, realizing what's really important, and the importance of a supportive and loving family.
Thanks for sharing,
JIM
P.S. Guess how much a 122 mile chopper ride costs.
I think that exact scenario is one that has been churning thru my head. What if this had happened out on the road somewhere on the way to Big Bend? We took that 8 day adventure recently. Towns with no gas stations, hours with no cell reception...
So "Silver" (or Aluminum) lining, I was home, we have great medical care here at Bay Area Medical. Ambulance responded right away. Could have been very different! And again, the psychological impact of leaving your wife... That alone just tears at your heart. And no, I cannot imagine how much a helicopter ride costs!! Hope the view was better than the back window of an ambulance.. THanks for sharing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, so glad to hear that you got taken care of. And glad that you posted for the rest of us to learn from. Here's my story and I call it my Fake Heart Attack. I was working around the house and helping a neighbor on a hot day. I went home for dinner and was getting what I call an MSG attack. But eating at home, I knew there was no MSG. I had a hard time beathing and had to stay standing up and had to go outside of my house. My wife asked me what was wrong and I told her it felt like an MSG attack, but she knew that I didn't have any MSG at home. So to the hospital I went. I spent the night there and they ran all kinds of tests on me, but found nothing wrong and my heart was real strong. I was sent home. Trying to think what caused this feeling, we decided that me being a COLA ADICT might not help. So I stopped drinking RC, Coca, & Pepsi Cola's and I have been fine ever since. If you get that feeling, get checked anyhow, because you never know. I have told quite a few people the story about "My Fake Heart Attack."
Thanks Robert. I think you are right. We have these fake events and then are less likely to react to a real one. I have a similar story to yours and we reacted quickly, went in for tests. It was severe gas buildup. Thus my thought process was flawed when the real heart attack started. I didn't want to repeat the trip again for nothing...Maybe we are over reacting, right?
MSG? Who would want to go back to a Dr for that? But the symptoms are the same, so I guess we need to take the trip every time! Thanks for sharing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by callie View Post
Howdy from the other end of TEXAS! Glad you are recovering and are willing to share your story with all of us.

GOD is good...all the time! You are a blessed man....don't waste GOD'S mercy....HE has more things planned for you.....slow down and enjoy life's joys.....the brush will wait....blessings......Callie
Thanks Callie. Hoping they can reduce some of the meds this week. BP seems very low. I know they struggled with it in the hospital (had to keep adjusting because it was so high) but now it is very low. Hope that is a GOOD sign.

Fellow Streamers,
Let me say that I appreciate you allowing me to share and I also appreciate reading your posts in return. It is cathartic. It is also the exact oppsite of what I would normally do. I joke and kid on here all the time, but rarely offer up insights to who I really am. I am a very private person so this is an odd situation I have placed myself in. I don't share, yet I am. I started this thread, I thought, to warn others. To make you aware of what my symptoms were and how easily they can be mis-interpreted. Mis-interpretation led me to inaction, and nearly led me to death. Cardiologist told my wife another half hour would have been too long. 30 minutes folks. So while I still feel like I am trying to warn others so you can avoid making the same stupid mistake (and yes, it was stupid), I also feel like it is helping me "Get a weight off my chest" (pun definitely intended!)
Take care dear Streamers, and thanks for listening.

WBCCI 3805
Old 06-25-2012, 09:18 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
You Guys are scaring the ----- out of me! Most likely educating me. I have to go out this AM and clear brush, mow, water, trash, and polish a bit on the Curtis. 105 forecast and I live more than a 30 minute flight from any good hospital.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:39 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Clearing brush - buy a couple of goats. Also Mow and Fertilize!

Don't wanna keep them? Say "mutton" and eat them!

Your blood pressure will be "all over the place" for a while - and if you smoke or need to lose 50 lbs you'll have to deal with fluctuations while you're getting off the ciggies and losing the weight. You're working toward a "new normal" - it's a process and takes time.

Best wishes for a continued smooth recovery! Paula
Old 06-25-2012, 10:01 AM   #22
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
Clearing brush - buy a couple of goats. Also Mow and Fertilize!

Don't wanna keep them? Say "mutton" and eat them!

Your blood pressure will be "all over the place" for a while - and if you smoke or need to lose 50 lbs you'll have to deal with fluctuations while you're getting off the ciggies and losing the weight. You're working toward a "new normal" - it's a process and takes time.

Best wishes for a continued smooth recovery! Paula
LOL all good advice! Love the goat thing. I may actually have to look into that. I see them for sale all the time right down the road.
Irony...I went on a heart healthy diet about a month and a half before the heart attack. Had lost 11 pounds (now 14). So the diet does not really change much for me. Not a smoker, cholesterol is fine. May have a sugar problem though. Guess I get more info on that this week.
Thanks for the wishes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody Ranch View Post
You Guys are scaring the ----- out of me! Most likely educating me. I have to go out this AM and clear brush, mow, water, trash, and polish a bit on the Curtis. 105 forecast and I live more than a 30 minute flight from any good hospital.
I know right! bottom line is the brush clearing, mowing, polishing all still has to happen. And you can't do it all in winter because that is our camping season in Texas... Definitely not trying to scare, but if you happen to feel a strange symptom...don't be stupid like me.

WBCCI 3805
Old 06-25-2012, 11:32 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

1971 25' Caravanner
Olathe , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody Ranch
It's just not worth it to fight this heat. I'm thinking margarita and air conditioning!

Ken
Old 06-25-2012, 11:35 AM   #24
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Chuck,

Sugar can be a huge problem, and I have it as well. I used to drink a ton of regular sodas. Two and a half years ago, my doctor told me my triglycerides (fat) in the blood was over 500. You want it under 200 to be heart healthy. I asked why and he told me that since my body couldn't use all the sugar I was drinking, it turned to fat. Add this to being type A, and having the stress of school and he said I was due for a heart attack or stroke within 5-10 years. I have since switched only to diet soda, but have been reading many research articles showing how diet soda sweeteners are largely increasing blood sugars and cholesterol....time for a new plan. Reducing sweets will definitely help in the long run.

Steve
Old 06-25-2012, 11:43 AM   #25
1 Rivet Member

1969 25' Tradewind
Berkley , Massachusetts
so glad that you are on the road to recovery-very wise words of advice for everyone. thank you-you may be saving someone's life right now. Get well soon.
Old 06-25-2012, 03:13 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Thumbs up

Chuck,
Thanks for sharing your experience, and that all heart attacks are not alike. That's important. I know, from experience, about second chances. Fortunately, I didn't have a heart attack. A few years ago, I worked out routinely (and still do), but it seemed to be getting harder each day. It began with some pain in my throat, and longer recovery times. But, after a short time, I felt normal. I thought I was getting out of shape so, like an idiot, I increased my workout, and it got worse. After a particular hard workout, I decided to schedule an appointment with my doctor. Long story short, I got a stent because of a major blockage. I learned a lot from that, and hope that others learn from your experience.
Good to know you're doing well.
Thanks again.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 06:53 PM   #27
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelle50 View Post
so glad that you are on the road to recovery-very wise words of advice for everyone. thank you-you may be saving someone's life right now. Get well soon.
Wouldn't that be something. Wow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverRanger View Post
Chuck,
Thanks for sharing your experience, and that all heart attacks are not alike. That's important. I know, from experience, about second chances. Fortunately, I didn't have a heart attack. A few years ago, I worked out routinely (and still do), but it seemed to be getting harder each day. It began with some pain in my throat, and longer recovery times. But, after a short time, I felt normal. I thought I was getting out of shape so, like an idiot, I increased my workout, and it got worse. After a particular hard workout, I decided to schedule an appointment with my doctor. Long story short, I got a stent because of a major blockage. I learned a lot from that, and hope that others learn from your experience.
Good to know you're doing well.
Thanks again.
Sounds like you caught it though. I think that is the point. Listen to your body and get your butt in there to be checked! You did like me, waited too long. I am afraid there are a lot of us out there.
Stents rock!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Well View Post
It's just not worth it to fight this heat. I'm thinking margarita and air conditioning!

Ken
mmmmm air conditioning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by soldiermedic View Post
Chuck,

Sugar can be a huge problem, and I have it as well. I used to drink a ton of regular sodas. Two and a half years ago, my doctor told me my triglycerides (fat) in the blood was over 500. You want it under 200 to be heart healthy. I asked why and he told me that since my body couldn't use all the sugar I was drinking, it turned to fat. Add this to being type A, and having the stress of school and he said I was due for a heart attack or stroke within 5-10 years. I have since switched only to diet soda, but have been reading many research articles showing how diet soda sweeteners are largely increasing blood sugars and cholesterol....time for a new plan. Reducing sweets will definitely help in the long run.

Steve
I had basically quit the sodas a month or two back. Funny, "there is an app for that...." I am an analyst by profession, so I love charts and numbers. (data to be more precise) There is a free app for your phone called "MY FITNESS PAL." That thing is cool. Set up your desired weight and timeframe to get there and it shows you your calories to make that happen. When you eat, you can scan the barcode and it automatically tracks all the nutritional values for you. Once you scan a soda, and see the numbers, it is dang hard to drink it! If no barcode, type it in. Like a McDonalds cheesburger. It will show you all the nutritional values (or lack of) that is associated with the product. So I have been using this for a while. (it was free remember!) Skye bought me the FIT BIT PLUS which is a glorified pedometer. Tracks steps, stairs, calories, sleep times, etc...and synchs back up with the app My fitness pal. Combined, they work well. You now have charts and graph to show weight loss, nutritional consumption, sleep times, and so much more. That works for me. Now I use it for tracking salt and sugars instead of focusing on weight. But bottom line, I lost 14 pounds in < 2 months. (and I also had a heart attack!)
And Steve, I happen to love chocolate!
So..no matter what you do, it can still happen, don't be stupid like me! Go to the Dr if you feel something weird.

WBCCI 3805
Old 06-25-2012, 07:24 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
Thank God you are okay. How scary!