Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-17-2015, 10:41 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Victoria , BC
No, Yes they can get in to newer Airstreams

We had mice getting in to our unit (25 FB 2008) this past summer when camping on the Beach in Haida Gwaii.

They didn't seem to take up residence but contented themselves with nightly raids of of our Dinette table & the Pantry.

We left out traps & some bait all winter but saw no signs of them since returning.

So, yes they can get in (and out) but not sure how they do it.

- evan
eheffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 11:01 AM   #22
Yertle01.com

2006 22' International CCD
Estes Park , Colorado
We bought our 2006 International last November and store it in a gravel parking lot. I've killed 7 mice so far and have missed a couple that tripped the traps. I've tried the moth balls, dryer sheets, and a couple of other products to no avail. And I've plugged every hole this aging body of mine can get to, squirm to that is, and so far see no difference. Next week I'm taking it to the dealer for some work and plan to have them plug any holes I've missed, but you would think that by now, Airstreams would be pretty much mice-proof -- far from it. We keep no food in ours; in fact, we keep almost nothing in it, but they will eat anything. For example, I had a new small sponge in a galley drawer still in the wrapper. They ate through the wrapper and had small pieces of sponge and mice poop strewn all through the drawer. This is a big issue for me because I don't like rodents in my living quarters, so I've declared war on them and will go to poison next, if need be. So good luck is all I can say.

"My two cents is worth every penny."
TRizzuti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 11:18 AM   #23
Regular Guy

1978 31' Sovereign
Hot Springs , Arkansas
I have successfully used the stainless pot scrubbers in various places to keep the squirrels, chipmunks, and mice out. They don't rust out like the steel wool pads.
NavyCorpsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 11:38 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Hailey , Idaho
Sorry to say electronic repellents do not work, nor do dryer sheets. Found that out this spring after paying $550 in wiring repairs and $120 interior of my truck shampooing. Besides, we had a recent chain discussing same about a month ago. I think the biggest deterrent is where you park it. jon
B00merang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 12:27 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
FREDERICK , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by idroba View Post
Brass wool or Aluminum wool is better, as it does not rust. Harder to find though, need a good hardware store.
Yep, bronze wool is the way to go:
Bronze Wool - Paint Strippers - Amazon.com
Doc Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 12:27 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyCorpsman View Post
I have successfully used the stainless pot scrubbers in various places to keep the squirrels, chipmunks, and mice out. They don't rust out like the steel wool pads.
Ditto

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 01:06 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
We had a mouse problem despite sealing everything then discovered they climbed the safety chains and entered through the open box channels forming the tongue. There must be openings in the frame leading into the pan under the floor. Lifted the chains and stuffed the open ends with bronze pot scrubbers
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 01:07 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCWDCW View Post
We had a mouse problem despite sealing everything then discovered they climbed the safety chains and entered through the open box channels forming the tongue. There must be openings in the frame leading into the pan under the floor. Lifted the chains and stuffed the open ends with bronze pot scrubbers
That is a common and often overlooked entry point. I used Stainless pot scrubbers.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 01:28 PM   #29
1 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Apache Junction , Arizona
Found one in my 1976 Sovereign mummified in the floor insulation. He must have crawled in from the front through the main frame rail. Needless to say, the entrance is sealed and the corpse disposed of.
plbalza54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 02:09 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
West Liberty , Kentucky
There is a product available called Fresh Cab which we have used in our '75 AS as well in our '68 Camaro for several years with good results. I first saw an article about it if a classic car magazine. It is all natural and the aroma repels the rodents. It has a balsam fir aroma which the pests do not like,but I think it smells good when left in the trailer. It is available from Lehman's (lehmans.com) and probable other stores.
Air4563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 08:07 PM   #31
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Santa Clarita , California
When a squirrel chewed up the wiring in my TV a few years ago, the insurance company (who paid for some of the damage) told me that they had a theory that the rodents may be attracted to soy products that are being used more frequently in wiring insulation. Not sure what we can do about that problem, but I do like the Fresh Cab suggestion, as well as bronze or aluminum wool in the tongue channels.
Tod3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 06:29 AM   #32
RAH
3 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Cincinnati , Ohio
Mice memories

I have a pretty healthy fear of mice in my Airstream. I think it comes from an experience years ago…I was helping my mother clean out my grandma’s little motorhome in Northern Michigan, and reached into some low cabinet and put my hand into something soft and warm. It was also dark so I couldn’t see in there. Grabbed the flashlight. Oh my, a mother mouse with 5 or 6 little ones, all asleep. Yick – I had just had my hand on them! I ran out of the motorhome screaming like a first grader (no offense to first graders). I brought my mom back to show her where the mice were…and they were all gone – at least we hoped they were gone.

Fast forward 25 years, I am preparing to store my Airstream for the fall/winter. I put about 8 mousetraps in various places inside and outside the Airstream. My husband thought (thinks?) I am crazy…no need for any of that. I haven’t caught a mouse in the Airstream yet, but I still put them out each fall. Just in case.
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 07:03 AM   #33

2009 25' SS International
Sapphire , North Carolina
I live in an area with lot's of mice and have found methods to keep them out of the house even though people around here say it's impossible to keep them out. Catch the mice in live traps with peanut butter, let them go outside and watch, they almost always go back to their access point. Seal it with steel wool or metal tape and set the traps back up. Eventually the mice will show you all the holes. I have had two Airstreams, an 04 and an 09. Both got mice and this method worked until one of the mice ate a hole in the water tank! I would like to know how a high end camper like Airstream can build campers that leave the factory with mouse holes. Airstream CEO, can you hear me? Why would you not replace your plant manager and find one who can do his job right?
mmagalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 07:42 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmagalis View Post
I live in an area with lot's of mice ... Airstream can build campers that leave the factory with mouse holes. Airstream CEO, can you hear me? Why would you not replace your plant manager and find one who can do his job right?
Why can't you control your own mice? (Is everything that occurs an Airstream QC fault?)
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 08:16 AM   #35

2009 25' SS International
Sapphire , North Carolina
Yes! Where is their pride? They should be ashamed. These mouse issues should never happen and Airstream could stop them with a small effort.
mmagalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 08:37 PM   #36
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Madison , Alabama
Mouse repeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod3 View Post
An alternative I have been using recently for a house (haven't yet tried it in a trailer) is an electronic repellent that plugs in and uses the wiring to create an ultrasonic (or some such) barrier. You can find a number of alternatives by searching on the internet for "electronic mouse repellent". You would need some charge to power it, but I don't think it takes much. I have found it to be effective for a house in the boonies where we previously had a serious mouse problem.
The"Ultrasonic Pest Repeller". I have 3. 1 in a house & 1 each in 2 RV's. Can be set to deter various pests, incld rodents, insects, spiders, possibly snakes & volume can be adjusted. Uses approx. 6 watts AC. About 15 A-H of 12VDC via an inverter per day, so PV solar power is reasonable.

I find them to be effective. You don't want to be there when repeller is ON.
I buy @ Harbor Freight approx $30 to $35 each.

You should seal up all openings in trailer with Great Stuff expanding foam to seal air intrusion, but it may not keep out a determined rat or mouse. Snakes may come in to eat the mice. Try to seal up entry sites with sheet metal, metal mesh, or steel wool then seal over that with foam or caulk. You don't want to do this but once.

I will always put a repeller in use when RV or house is NOT occupied. But it could quit, so do your best to seal the trailer. Sealing a trailer is much less trouble than finding a dead stinkin' rat somewhere hidden.
You are smart to be thinking about this NOW, when you have a chance to prevent a mouse problem.
Let's Roll !
Wolf
Wolf Alaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 07:26 AM   #37
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Medina , Ohio
I've got mouse issues and have inspected and stuffed holes under the trailer - still have them. The wheels will be off this weekend. I've got ANOTHER pound of aluminum wool coming and will inspect that area Saturday. I'm HOPING to find the hole!

By the way - I have the electronic repellers - they don't work. I had them in all winter along with 5 traps - caught 5 mice. I'm over it!

The Silver Pearl & The Black Pearl

2008 25' Safari FB SE Queen converted to King
2014 Ford Expedition EXP Limited 4x4 V-8
McKesh towing mirrors
Centramatic Balancers
Hensley Swift-Arrow Hitch
palmtreegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 09:58 AM   #38
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Madison , Alabama
Keeping mice out of your RV

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmtreegirl View Post
I've got mouse issues and have inspected and stuffed holes under the trailer - still have them. The wheels will be off this weekend. I've got ANOTHER pound of aluminum wool coming and will inspect that area Saturday. I'm HOPING to find the hole!

By the way - I have the electronic repellers - they don't work. I had them in all winter along with 5 traps - caught 5 mice. I'm over it!
I'm commenting on what I quoted, above.
I don't agree with what is quoted above and felt I should respond, lest other Forum readers take the quote at face value and so miss out on what I think is one of the best devices to minimize pest/varmint problems in an unoccupied RV, garage, or house. The varmint repeller, I call it a squawker, does not product poisoned dead animals that are a health hazard and can pose a threat to other animals that could consume the dead poisoned animal carcass. The squawker does not produce dead animals killed by traps. Disposing of a trap's kill is not a good thing.

The varmint repellers, squawkers, are technical devices. They should be set up per the mfg's instructions. The squawker can't really be used when the RV, garage, house is occupied. The squawker should not be turned on when a pet is in the premises and can't escape from the premises. To do so would actually be cruelty.

To be effective, I've found that the squawker will have the volume loud and set to repel the kind of varmint giving one a problem. The squawker I use can be set for various rodents, insects, or spiders. It is not labeled to repel every kind of varmint all at the same time.

I have a second house and have had mouse problems when the squawker is not on or not there. NO mouse problems when the squawker is on.

Possible reasons the squawker didn't give the results expected:
Not turned on very much.
Trying to use it while the premises are occupied and so having the volume way down or on ultrasonic. These squawkers work best when loud. That means- not occupied premises.
Went off and left the trailer for several weeks but forgot to turn on the squawker when you left. (I did this for a house once and had mice move in)
Power outage so the squawker was inop.
Squawker not set up right for the kind of varmint and volume not set high enough.

If an RV is equipped with PVC system and an inverter, it is possible to run a squawker in an RV that does not have shore power 120VAC. The squawker I selected uses 5 watts. That is 120 watt hours per day or 0.12 KWH @ 120VAC. This amount of power + inverter losses will put a load of 11.5 amp hours @ 12VDC on the solar system. A 45 watt solar system should produce 19 amp hours per day and so, be able to power a squawker.

In summary, seal up the trailer to prevent entry. Use a squawker when you are not in the trailer. IF you think your trailer is presently occupied with a varmint...turn on the squawker, but please leave an escape path. If you haven't already sealed the trailer, then that is not a problem. The varmint will know the path to leave by...the same one it came in by !
I own 3 squawkers and am thinking of buying a 4th one. My tax paid money is hard to come by, so I wouldn't be saying this if I didn't think the squawker works.
Let's roll !
Wolf
Wolf Alaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 11:13 AM   #39

1971 29' Ambassador
Crystal Lake , IL
Simple Solution to help :)

Buy Irish Spring Original Scent bar soap. Cut them into smaller shavings and place them in coffee filters in all the storage compartments. For whatever reason mice do not like the scent. Better yet, it will smell good and fresh. Im not sure how well the scent will carry in colder weather, but it is worth the effort!
charlie11384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 10:34 AM   #40
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Santa Clarita , California
Yeesh, look at this:

Rodent-proof construction and exclusion methods

It's a scholarly article from the Internet Center for Wildlife Damage Management with all sorts of interesting suggestions - the wonders of the internet. Let's hope the rodents don't get WiFi.
Tod3 is offline   Reply With Quote